• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Battlestar Galactica" Season 1

Battlestar Galactica

Let me say at the outright that I did not see ANY of the original series with Lorne Green. I understand that this 2007 series is based off that older show but how much it follows the original cast and story wise I am unsure of. I did see some footage of the original series in the bonus footage and I can see why I did not watch it as it's almost laughable.

This 2007 version was supposed to be a mini series but it did so well the network decided to turn it into a bona fide series and I can see why. It's very well done. :T

The first episode was painfully slow but I'm glad I stuck through it. What got me upon watching it was how 'old school' the tech side of it was (No phasers...transporters....tricorders!). Old looking phones with curly wires that look like phones from the 70's and the use of old fashion paper.....smoking......booze....fist fights etc!. After watching the whole first season and the bonus footage, I learned that they did this purposefully to keep it less hi tech and more human.

The Cylon robots and the devastating nuclear apocalypse they reap on mankind is very similar to the 'Terminator' series of movies, except less frightening. In this 1st series, they are basically running from the Cylon and trying to stay alive by' jumping' through wormholes to other areas of the galaxy.

Very strong characters and good writing make this series a keeper that I will watch to the last episode!

I'll keep you posted !
    Dan Madden :T
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

A very good series. It is only marginally related to the original in tone. Basically it borrows names and the broad concepts of Cylon vs. human. I quite enjoyed it though it does introduce elements later on that go beyond typical sci-fi stories. I'll let you discover them as you go.
    Last edited by Ovation; 25 February 2015, 17:07 Wednesday.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

IMHO, this show started as the best TV series EVER. It lost its way, then got good again, then ended okay. But I loved many different aspects of the show. Own the entire series on BD.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yeah it's easily one of my favorites.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Battlestar Galactica Alert!!

I'm into season 2.5 now and now that the Cylons appear to have been dispatched to a certain degree, it appears the series is sinking into a stupid, mafia like, Godfather space smuggling show. I'm not impressed at all!

God help this series if it continues along this path!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Dan, it does take several turns from where you are until the rest of the season. I'd recommend sticking with it. It may not be complete redeeming, but you might want to at least try it out.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

All's well now! Turns out I was once again a little hasty and that was only one episode. It quickly moved on thank god!

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

And one other thing about this series........What's a Frack?? A Frackin'.... Frack off kinda' Frack it!! Is that some kinda' made for TV swear word that they can get away with using??

It doesn't work !

Comment

• Dmantis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2004

Loved this show. I also own in on BD. I actually planned on re watching it soon.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                    And one other thing about this series........What's a Frack?? A Frackin'.... Frack off kinda' Frack it!! Is that some kinda' made for TV swear word that they can get away with using??

It doesn't work !
                    The show is about a society of people that developed completely separate from earth, obviously their swear words would be different than our own.

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

It's also a nod to the original series where, I believe Starbuck, if not others, would occasionally use the word.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

That, and yes... also so they can swear on TV without actually using swear words.

I can't listen to discussions about oil "fracking" without giggling now.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                          That, and yes... also so they can swear on TV without actually using swear words.

I can't listen to discussions about oil "fracking" without giggling now.
                          Hehehehe!!! I KNOW!! That's all I think about when I hear them say the word. Oil Fracking ! Frack that schitt !

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Well........I just completed this series and I must say that it's a very dark series that doesn't bode well for humanity as a whole. However, I was very entertained and must say that this was a frakin' good series to watch!

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Eh, it leaves off with quite a bit of Hope in the end. It's a fantastic series though one that I will be revisiting again soon.

Comment

• madmac
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2010

I guess there is some hope displayed at the end but I like to think of a race that can achieve interstellar space flight would be more advanced and less naturally war like. When these people show up at what is our Earth at the end of this series and see the primitive natives there, I am seriously afraid for them to be honest. It obviously plays into the silly notion that we evolved from aliens from another planet.

Kudos goes to the Admiral though! Nobody could have played the role better! 'Starbuck' is a close second. Frak, I loved that gal!!

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Well, they wouldn't really be aliens if we were seeded by them? Also not sure why that's a silly notion? Everything we know about our past is nothing more than a theory, and there are thousands of theories out there.

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                    Well, they wouldn't really be aliens if we were seeded by them? Also not sure why that's a silly notion? Everything we know about our past is nothing more than a theory, and there are thousands of theories out there.
                                    I suppose but the chances in the real universe of being cross seeded by an alien civilization are nil. As well, any alien beings out there would look and be completely different than us, and likely not be even carbon based life forms........and don't even get me started on the chances of them ever finding us, which are also nil.

I took this show for what it was.......a TV show and enjoyed it very much!

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Scored the whole series on BD for 70% off at Amazon.ca on a one day special (sorry, not ongoing). Looking forward to revisiting this w/o commercials and network logos marring the screen.

Comment

• madmac
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
                                        Scored the whole series on BD for 70% off at Amazon.ca on a one day special (sorry, not ongoing). Looking forward to revisiting this w/o commercials and network logos marring the screen.
                                        Enjoy Ovation........it's a fun ride. Make sure the children are nicely tucked away in bed while spinning this series!

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

May take awhile to get to it, but I couldn't pass it up at the price (wasn't looking for it at all but it popped up on the screen while I was looking at an old film released on BD--Coppola's The Conversation).

Comment

• madmac
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
                                            You know, the more I watch TV series on DVD the more I realize how painful it would be to watch them on broadcast TV. I realize that the commercials would kill it........ but more than that, the way these shows leave you hanging at the end of each episode in efforts to lure you into coming back next week is nothing short of cruel!! Me,,,,,,,,I laugh when one episode ends on DVD and I pop in the next disc to see what happens next!! HA !!!

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"