X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

All is lost

If you have lived around the ocean all your life, as I have, and if you have done some boating, as I have, you learn to respect it, not only for its beauty, but for its unforgiving cruel nature as well.
    My brother owned a Cape Islander , used mostly by Atlantic fishermen because it is built to meet demanding seas. He converted it to more of a pleasure craft. He and I, along with our wives, spent many wonderful nights and days plying the waters that almost surround Nova Scotia. We also had our share of running into sudden changes in the weather, leading to wind and heavy seas. We never experienced anything like Robert Redford did in All Is Lost, but there were moments in the movie that I could relate to and appreciate.
    The movie is like watching an old silent, because there is little to no dialogue. It begins when Redford awakens on his yacht to the sound of water gushing into the galley. A floating container ( that must have fallen off a container ship ) had rammed his craft and left a gaping hole. A few words at the beginning lead us to believe that perhaps his personal relationships have not gone well, and maybe that's why he is yachting alone. So for an hour and 45 minutes we watch as Redford deals with one disaster after another as he fights to survive. With a lack of dialogue, the sound of raging seas and sloshing water surround you and, if you have a good audio system, you feel like you are there.

All in all, the film was a nerve racking experience, but one I couldn't stop watching. And Redford didn't have to say much, his face said it all. The man is quite an actor.
    A big :T
    My Homepage!
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Wow that sounds very interesting George. I'm going to this this one out for sure!.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Let me know how you like it, Dan. I'll point out again how realistic the DTS audio is. You hear creaking, gurgling water, etc., all around you. Excellent soundtrack on this film.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I keep hearing good things about this one....
        Jason

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
          Let me know how you like it, Dan. I'll point out again how realistic the DTS audio is. You hear creaking, gurgling water, etc., all around you. Excellent soundtrack on this film.
          I'll make sure I rent the Blu Ray of this one for MAXIMUM audio effect!!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by madmac
            I'll make sure I rent the Blu Ray of this one for MAXIMUM audio effect!!
            For sure, Dan.

Jason, I really think you'll like this, but doubt if your wife will.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

For sure, Dan.

Jason, I really think you'll like this, but doubt if your wife will.

Hmmm I've got a long list of those already to watch :lol:
              Jason

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

I heard a review of this film on the radio the other day. The reviewer said that having a tiger on board would have made it more interesting!

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                  I heard a review of this film on the radio the other day. The reviewer said that having a tiger on board would have made it more interesting!

Nigel.
                  :roflmao:

That is precious!
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Nigel.
                    If this movie couldn't keep that reviewer's interest, he must be dead from the ass up.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
                      :roflmao:

That is precious!

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Now that WAS precious ! ;x(
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

If this movie couldn't keep that reviewer's interest, he must be dead from the ass up.
                          It was a woman. Women eh? Sheesh.

Nigel.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

It was a woman. Women eh? Sheesh.

Nigel.
                            Okay, that figures. This is not a woman's movie. I'm not even sure it is a man's movie in general. If you live near, and have spent a lot of time on the ocean, you will definitely like All Is Lost. So maybe I'm a little over enthusiastic because I definitely fit the latter category.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Okay, that figures. This is not a woman's movie. I'm not even sure it is a man's movie in general. If you live near, and have spent a lot of time on the ocean, you will definitely like All Is Lost. So maybe I'm a little over enthusiastic because I definitely fit the latter category.
                              I plan to watch it some time this week George so I'll let you know.

Nigel.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

I plan to watch it some time this week George so I'll let you know.

Nigel.
                                Great, Nigel, I look forward to your comments.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

I spun this on BD yesterday afternoon and the DTS audio is exceptional to say the least!. I'm sure my neighbors thought there were some water problems in my apartment!. They should have had some shots of how beautiful sailing can be before starting this tragic story. In this film, tragedy starts from the get go. After watching this, I never really want to get on a sail boat again really!.

There are a few problems with this film. You would figure with today's satellite phone technology where somebody can effectively call anyone from anywhere on Earth that Redford would have had one??!!. Filming an entire scene of him climbing the mast to fix the radio antenna only to never try it is kinda' odd?. Redford's obsession of constantly going out on deck in the middle of a storm putting himself at risk is also odd. I mean, he knew a storm was coming so he could have had all the deck stuff done before it got bad outside no?. As well, the ending was a little over dramatic and not wanting to produce a spoiler, it didn't quite make sense to me.

All that being said, I really liked this film despite the almost complete lack of dialogue. Turn up the volume and pump those subs for this tragic ride!!.

I'll give it 7.5/ 10 stars.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

Glad you liked it, Dan. I would have to say, unless you were a boating enthusiast like myself, after seeing this film you probably wouldn't want to go sailing... EVER.
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"