X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Pain and Gain

Michael Bay takes a break from directing Transformers and gives us a black comedy, based on a true Florida based crime story about real people .

The central characters are three body builders, led by Mark Wahlberg. He believes he is super smart (though he is actually an idiot ) and convinces two other muscle heads ( Dwayne Johnson and Anthony Mackie ) that they can do anything they want, including torture, theft and murder, and actually get away with it. But one of their victims refuses to die and soon Wahlberg and company would see their luxurious life of ill gotten riches come crashing down around them.

If Bay hadn't shown the three real criminals during the end credits, I would have found this just too hard to believe. So, some of the film I liked, and I actually found myself laughing out loud at some of the trio's idiotic antics. But there was just too much blood and gore that made me feel uncomfortable. Still, this is Michael Bay. The other problem I had was with the two lead actors, who in real life are anything but idiots, and just didn't convince me otherwise. Good supporting cast, though, which includes Ed Harris. Would I watch this again ? No. But I won't say don't rent it. It certainly has its moments.

:3: out of 5

oops, forgot to mention that Tony Shalhoub absolutely steals this movie !
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Tony Shaloub does that a lot. And knowing he's in this just me me a lot more likely to rent it.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I'll be renting this one, albeit not top priority.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"