X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Side Effects" + "Cloud Atlas"

"Side Effects" - All medication has side effects. That's a fact!. You just have to evaluate whether the med's do more good than harm at the end of the day. That being said, this movie at the end of the day is not really about that. It's good and fun to watch and it takes on a really good twist at the end. Worth a watch (Once) for sure!!. 7/10 stars :T

"Cloud Atlas" - Well.....hummmm......well.....hummmm.....I suppose.....I guess.....hummmm......Nice cinematography!!......ya that's it!!. The Chinese girl was kinda' hot......Oh well, I watched it and that is that. Move on. 6/10 stars for effort. thx.
    Dan Madden :T
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I'm going to give Cloud Atlas a spin sometime this weekend. I'll post my thoughts on it next week.

I doubt if Side Effects would be my cup of tea.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Cloud Atlas is on my list of things to watch--when I can fit it into my insane schedule (the next 6-8 weeks were supposed to be a LOT more relaxed than they are turning into). It is, however, the kind of film that I suspect people will either really love and want in their collection or consider it something they'll never revisit. Probably a lot like The Fountain with Hugh Jackman (which I loved and have in my collection, but is not everyone's cup of tea).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

You loved The Fountain ? I thought I was the only one. Actually, I like it better with each viewing. As for Cloud Atlas, yeah, I really believe you will either love it or hate it. It's a pretty long film so I think I'll tackle it Sunday night.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

We might be the only two, besides Jackman and the others who made it.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
            You loved The Fountain ? I thought I was the only one. Actually, I like it better with each viewing. As for Cloud Atlas, yeah, I really believe you will either love it or hate it. It's a pretty long film so I think I'll tackle it Sunday night.
            George, the problem with Cloud Atlas was that I didn't love it OR hate it!. I merely watched it and was mildly entertained. It was ok........and then I moved on.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
              We might be the only two, besides Jackman and the others who made it.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by madmac
                George, the problem with Cloud Atlas was that I didn't love it OR hate it!. I merely watched it and was mildly entertained. It was ok........and then I moved on.
                Understood, Dan.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Well this was certainly an ambitious effort to say the least. Basically it is 6 stories spanning a period from 1849 to 2321. A very thin line connects the stories as they jump back and forth during the film's 160+ minutes. But the characters are linked by a uniquely shaped birthmark, which is an obvious attempt to show that we are all connected. You could drive yourself crazy trying to make sense of it all, or you can simply sit back and enjoy the 6 stories that go from drama to comedy to action, but not necessarily in that order.
                  I have to say I liked this film, not only for its story content, but very much for the amazing visuals. And though I never read the 2004 novel it was based on, I now would like to read it.
                  This film is definitely not for everyone, especially if you don't want to be made to think too hard, but it will be an interesting way to spend nearly 3 hours for some of us.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                    Well this was certainly an ambitious effort to say the least. Basically it is 6 stories spanning a period from 1849 to 2321. A very thin line connects the stories as they jump back and forth during the film's 160+ minutes. But the characters are linked by a uniquely shaped birthmark, which is an obvious attempt to show that we are all connected. You could drive yourself crazy trying to make sense of it all, or you can simply sit back and enjoy the 6 stories that go from drama to comedy to action, but not necessarily in that order.
                    I have to say I liked this film, not only for its story content, but very much for the amazing visuals. And though I never read the 2004 novel it was based on, I now would like to read it.
                    This film is definitely not for everyone, especially if you don't want to be made to think too hard, but it will be an interesting way to spend nearly 3 hours for some of us.
                    Yes...the visuals were very nice. I worked at it for the first hour or so then just like you said, sat back and simply enjoyed the stories.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by madmac
                      Yes...the visuals were very nice. I worked at it for the first hour or so then just like you said, sat back and simply enjoyed the stories.
                      I would highly recommend potential viewers do the same as you, Dan. Then, if they want to dig into the meat of it all, they can either buy the disc or rent it for a second viewing.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Okay, this is not worth starting a new thread. But based on y'alls conversation here, I Netflixed and watched The Fountain. What the hell did I miss with this movie? I really gave it a chance, tried to appreciate it on an existential level, tried to catch on to the efforts at symbolism. But just did NOT get it.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

I know, Chris. It's a love story scattered with a load of philosophies. I just saw it as a story ( three if I recall correctly ) about a woman who embraces life and accepts death as part of it, and of a man who desperately tries to change both to save the woman he loves. It probably goes deeper than that, but that's what I pretty much boiled it down to. Trying to make sense of the film as it unfolds is hard on the brain. I watched it twice and I'm still not sure if I get its meaning correct, but I'm satisfied with my best guess.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

It's been a while since I last watched The Fountain, and its visuals are at least half the enjoyment for me, but what I recall from it is a dual message about the potential strength of love as a bond between two people that is like no other (and while it is a romantic love, I think that message applies to all profoundly deep love--love of brother/sister/parent/child (familial love), love between true best friends--what is sometimes referred to as agape love, from the Greek, though that is more frequently tied to spirituality. It is a non-sexual type of love, as distinct from the Greek eros, root word of erotic. Both are at play in the film, in my reading and recollection of it.) while at the same time serving as a cautionary tale about the repercussions of not being able to let go when that moment invariably comes.

I would have to watch it again to see if my recollection truly fits with the film itself, but that is the impression I most recall from it.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

"Cloud Atlas" was a waste of money ($1.50 from RedBox) and time (however long it took). IMHO, a dog.
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Arrrrrrgh.... I just now, just got to the 2nd half of this thread, "Cloud Atlas". Similar to "The Fountain", I'll have to give it a :wtf: Ambitious, yes. Each of the stories moderately interesting, some more than others. But the work as a whole just doesn't make it. Some people say you pick up on more the 2nd time around, but right now I'm not willing to give it a 2nd shot. And I am generally a big fan of the Wachowski brothers! (well, not "brothers" any more, I guess) Only :2: out of :5: in my book on this one.
                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"