X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Troy R
    • May 2003

Finally Finished Atlas 15

I do a lot of reading around here, but I thought I'd post the sub I just finished building. Since I gotta show it to someone :W

It’s been SEVERAL months but I finally found time to finish it. It is a sealed design, with an internal volume of 130 liters, with the Atlas 15 driver. I put in about four pounds of stuffing, I didn't really have time to experiment with the stuffing amount, just threw it in there... The top is 22.5”, but the sides are around 21”. It stands just over 31” tall.

It is a 3/4” thick MDF box, “veneered” with 1/4” oak plywood. I used plywood because I had some laying around and to keep the costs down, it was cheaper than using actual veneer, plus it gave me another 1/4” of wall thickness. The top is 3/4” oak plywood edged with real oak to cover up the plywood sides. The “frames” on the edges are 1/4” thick oak. I was trying to make the sub look like arts & crafts/shaker/mission style furniture, which is what most of the furniture in our house is. I still need to do a lot of sanding and stain it, but we’re in the middle of a bathroom remodel so it will have to wait. I don’t want to rush the finish, so I’ll use it as is until I have more time.

I’ve attached a few pics, but you can check out pics of the build process in the link below.

I just finished the other day, so I haven’t gotten a chance to really fire it up. I did run some quick test tones. Just a quick 90hz to 20hz in 5 hz increments and the top line is the result. The bottom line is what the software is predicting the response will be after EQ with the BFD. Room gain is a wonderful thing! :T

This was my second DIY sub, the first was a sonosub with an old SVS driver. I already want to build something else. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Files
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Nice job with the box it looks great... :T

What happened to the dust cap?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Impressive. It makes me rethink my giant black boxes.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• SteveCallas
        • Aug 2005

Very nice. I didn't see you make any mention of it, but will it be used as an end table?

Comment

• James W. Johnson
          • Jun 2001

beautiful , nice job!
          pics

Comment

• Troy R
            • May 2003

Thanks, everyone. Now if I could just find the time to finish it.

Originally posted by ThomasW
            What happened to the dust cap?
            If you're referring to the first picture on my web page, I put a CD on top of the dust cap to give a size reference for those that don't know how big the driver actually is.

Originally posted by SteveCallas
            Very nice. I didn't see you make any mention of it, but will it be used as an end table?
            Kind of. It will sit in the front corner of the living room with a lamp on it (if the lamp doesn't vibrate too much). It won't be sitting next to the couch or anything. It's too "big" - or so my wife says. If she only knew how big I wanted to make it...

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Looks great.

I might suggest a non-filament lamp, or perhaps a plant. A normal bulb will have a shorter life by nature of the small(er) vibrations from the sub.

My folks have a plant on the Tumult I build them and it stays happily in place.

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• steve nn
                • Jan 2006

Very nice! It also has that nice mission look your after.

Comment

• Troy R
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by cjd
                  Looks great.

I might suggest a non-filament lamp, or perhaps a plant. A normal bulb will have a shorter life by nature of the small(er) vibrations from the sub.

My folks have a plant on the Tumult I build them and it stays happily in place.

C
                  Thanks for the tips. we can't seem to have plants because our CRAZY cat will just eat them. I guess we'll see how the lamp holds up.

Originally posted by steve nn
                  Very nice! It also has that nice mission look your after.
                  Thanks, now if I can only put on the perfect mission stain color.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"