X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Coriolanus--Ralph Fiennes brings Shakespeare into the present very well

Along with a recent Macbeth production featuring Patrick Stewart, Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus does a very good job integrating Shakespeare into a contemporary setting. Vanessa Redgrave gives a powerful performance as Coriolanus' mother and, as a bonus to me, at any rate, the lovely Jessica Chastain is on hand as his wife (and, as usual, she looks glorious in hi-def).

:T:T:T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Huh, interesting. Lots of people forget that Patrick Stewart started as a Shakespearean actor. I'm trying to remember the first thing I saw him in. It was something like Olivier's "Hamlet"... no, I think that was before his time. Maybe "Othello?"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

The first thing I remember seeing him in was Excalibur. And then Dune (David Lynch version). He has played Othello on stage--it was a production where all the actors were black, except him (a reversal of the story's original setting and one of the few ways a white actor can play the title role without offence in this day and age--Orson Welles played the part for a film and it is regarded as an excellent performance, but it was in "blackface" and that is severely frowned upon today, of course).

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yeah, I do remember Dune as well. Well done for him.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"