X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denonhtsetup546
    • Sep 2008

Choosing a Stewart screen material

I'm looking at a Stewart Screens Luxus Deluxe Screenwall 16:9, but I am not sure which screen material to go with.

My new home theater room is painted dark brown, and there are curtains over any windows and entrances, but I have small children who will certainly make it difficult to keep the curtains closed. There are some iSky panels in the ceilings as well as wall sconces, though the latter will be turned off for movies. The projector I'm using is a Sony VPL-VW60.

Which screen material would you recommend under these conditions?
    The different types of materials are listed at htmarket.com (I can't post a direct link because this is my first post).
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by denonhtsetup546
    I'm looking at a Stewart Screens Luxus Deluxe Screenwall 16:9, but I am not sure which screen material to go with.

My new home theater room is painted dark brown, and there are curtains over any windows and entrances, but I have small children who will certainly make it difficult to keep the curtains closed. There are some iSky panels in the ceilings as well as wall sconces, though the latter will be turned off for movies. The projector I'm using is a Sony VPL-VW60.

Which screen material would you recommend under these conditions?
    The different types of materials are listed at htmarket.com (I can't post a direct link because this is my first post).
    denonhtsetup546,

I have similar room (black ceiling, dark navy walls, dark gray screen wall). I also have wall sconces and cloths curtains over small windows.

I talked to Stewart and in a situation where the room is a controlled dark room but with some ambient light, the high contrast grey was the recommendation. So I went with the Firehawk G3, which is also designed for 1080p projectors. It has worked out extremely well.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by htsteve; 06 October 2008, 12:10 Monday.

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

I use primarily StewartFilm screen FireHawk G3 with a JVC DLA RS2 it works beautifully.

JVC had recommended the StudioTek 130 G3 but I have white ceilings and we like to watch a movie on Sunday afternoon. Since I have huge bay windows facing south west even with blackout curtains the room is never pitch black so I picked the FireHawk G3 and I love it. It is not ISF certified but who cares, I am having my projector calibrated. There is no way that I am going to paint the ceiling black or dark color we love to live in this multi/purpose family room.

FireHawk G3 Gain: 1.25 FireHawk G3, a flexible front projection screen surface engineered for use with 1080p technology. The G3’s ultra-fine optical coating improves uniformity for consistent brightness across the entire screen. FireHawk G3 was optimized to significantly improve contrast ratios, regardless of the projector type. It is a perfect choice for front projection applications where ambient light may be present providing increased black levels, shadow detailing, and superior color saturation.

Features:
      • - Engineered for use with 1080p projection technology
      • - Re-formulated optical coating allows for enhanced focusing capabilities
      • - Superior performance in environments with ambient light
      • - Superb black levels, shadow detailing, and color saturation
      • - Increased image contrast and resolution
      • - Superb color and white field uniformity

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I've found that when considering a purchase, it's best to contact ANY of the screen manufacturers directly. They're the experts, and will be able to help you pick out exactly the right screen material for your particular application. There's lots of things to consider, such as room lighting, projector type, primary material watching, (TV, movies) screen size, distance to seating, and off-axis angle of seating extremities to the screen.

I myself have a Firehawk in a completely light controlled room. Works great.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Jordo
          • Aug 2008

Another screen to check out would be Carada, the price is better, the screen quality is excellent, assembly is very easy, and on audioholics they did a shootout between stewart, carada, and da lite, and you will find there is not much difference between a $2000+ screen and a $600+ screen. Just a FYI, but if your set on Stewart giver

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Note that Carada is a forum sponsor, too. Just click on the link at the top of the page!
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

If you contact them they may be able to send you some screen samples as well so you can tape them up to the wall and see what you like best.

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I went through this exercise, and let me tell you, it is very frustrating.

I'll start by saying that I believe Stewart makes a screen specifically for the Sony projectors. I'd start there.

You will be able to get screen samples from all of the vendors. The problem is that there will be something you like about all of them and something you won't like about any of them. I ended up going with Da-Lite, because at the time, we couldn't afford the steward, and due to my wall, I require a pull down (the wall isn't flat unfortunately).

I am happy with the screen, but my next one will most likely be a stewart firehark deluxe luxus. It is the cadillac of screens IMO.
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Dean McManis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • May 2003

I have a Stewart Grayhawk screen that's accoustically transparent, and I did prefer the Stewart Microperf to Dalite's accoustically transparent screen (which I had before that).

When I got my screen Stewart didn't yet have their Firehawk screen material yet.
                  I'm not sure if Carada does this, but when I was first researching screens I contacted the different manufacturers and had them send me 8" X 10" sample pieces of their screen material for visual comparison using your projector and room.

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Dean McManis
                    I have a Stewart Grayhawk screen that's accoustically transparent, and I did prefer the Stewart Microperf to Dalite's accoustically transparent screen (which I had before that).

When I got my screen Stewart didn't yet have their Firehawk screen material yet.
                    I'm not sure if Carada does this, but when I was first researching screens I contacted the different manufacturers and had them send me 8" X 10" sample pieces of their screen material for visual comparison using your projector and room.

I agree with the comments about calling the manufacturers directly. Stewart sent out a very nice presentation with many of their screen materials.

I have a Runco projector and it works beautifully with the Stewart. They were very helpful with me.

Dean McManis, Call Stewart. Since you have the frame, I believe you can do an upgrade of your screen material and be able to get to a Firehawk screen. This option beats getting an entire new screen.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2003

I've found that even rooms paited dark colors will reflect light bouncing off a screen. It's about the quartz that paint manufacturers put in to make the paint durable

Bottom line Firehawk can't be beaten even in a "so called" light controlled room...it's what I use in a totally black painted dedicated room.
                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Dean McManis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by htsteve
                        I agree with the comments about calling the manufacturers directly. Stewart sent out a very nice presentation with many of their screen materials.

I have a Runco projector and it works beautifully with the Stewart. They were very helpful with me.

Dean McManis, Call Stewart. Since you have the frame, I believe you can do an upgrade of your screen material and be able to get to a Firehawk screen. This option beats getting an entire new screen.

Hope this helps.
                        Thanks for the suggestion Steve. My Grayhawk screen still looks very good to me, and even though the Firehawk would be an improvement, just the screen material alone would likely cost me the same as buying a new 1080p projector since it's a 180" Microperf screen.

Jerry,

I used flat black paint for my walls and floor, along with black velvet curtains to create a shadowbox black surround, and the decreased reflected light definitely increased the contrast and black level compared to before I had painted the walls and put up the curtains and black carpet. :T

Comment

• htsteve
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Dean McManis
                          Thanks for the suggestion Steve. My Grayhawk screen still looks very good to me, and even though the Firehawk would be an improvement, just the screen material alone would likely cost me the same as buying a new 1080p projector since it's a 180" Microperf screen.

Dean McManis,

180" Microperf! Yeah, I can understand that.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

FireHawk G# is a huge improvement vs even the old firehawk.

Well worth the upgrade went from a 100" 16:9 Elecrtiscreen Firehawk to a 128" 2.35:1 Visionary FireHawk G3 :T :B
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Huh... didn't know that there was a new version of the Firehawk. I have a Firehawk, 2002 model, so I assume it's the original version. If you say the new one's that much better, I may need to upgrade--the one I have could be bigger, anyway. :T
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

My Carada screen is just as smooth and true today as it was several years ago on install. Kudos to them for doing it right, and at that price point, is true they are a winner in my book. A good screen is the means to an end, it is not the end in itself. When I immerse myself in a great movie in high def, you think whether I paid 2K or 600 is really going to show that much difference? I think the projector has a whole helluva lot more to do with that, and the movie quality and even the DVD player quality. Once a screen is so good, it's involvement in making a real difference is less than all the above, not to mention proper lighting, mounting, viewing distance, projector setup. There are a lot of variables, I just happen to think the screen is not so much. I can get a pretty good image on my wall, but I do like my Carada more. :-)
                                Doug
                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                                  Huh... didn't know that there was a new version of the Firehawk. I have a Firehawk, 2002 model, so I assume it's the original version. If you say the new one's that much better, I may need to upgrade--the one I have could be bigger, anyway. :T
                                  Yes I had the first generation FireHawk 100" 16:9 format as well.

Then seven years later, I upgraded both my projector to JVC-DLA RS2 and screen to the FireHawk G3 and went with a 2:35 screen 128" wide. Whoa it looks outstanding especially with blu ray:T

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"