X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Best sounding music DVD's

:E The best sounding Dvd's I have heard to date are not even that new. They are "Steely Dan's 2 against nature" in DTS and "Eagles : Hell freezes over" in DTS.

These 2 discs utterly destroy my speakers and I'm mesmerized every time I hear them!!. Watch for the DTS demo at the beginning of the Eagles disc. It's the best DTS demo I've heard so far. I'm actually worried sometimes that it might blow my speakers!!. It's just too bad about the video on these 2 discs. But then again, they were done in the mid 90's so that's what was available video wise in those days. At least they are widescreen!!.
    Dan Madden :T
  • Armbender
    • Jul 2005

I love my Eagles DVD. Sarah McLachlan has a great DVD I put on par with the Eagles as well...
    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Experience 2L Blu ray :T

Also love this one

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I would love to experience more BD music concert discs but there still Are not many being produced. I have Chris Botti in Boston that is simply amazing and in full 1080P. I also have Diana Krall in Rio but the video is not as nice as I would expect from BD. The sound is great though. It's hard to imagine bad sound coming from a BD disc. Haven't heard a bad sounding one yet!. Still, the DVD titles I listed above beat out everything I have in any format so far.

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Here are 4 blu-ray's which, imho are way above average in terms of sound:

Btw the Chris Botti - Live in Boston blu-ray is still my reference disc. :T
          Attached Files

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

@ Shadow- Ya I'm not surprised. The Chris Botti is amazing for both sound and video quality. Cystal clear and you can hear all of the acoustics of the concert hall at work.

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Alison Krauss & Union Station Live (2003)

Cream – Royal Albert Hall - London May 2-3-5-6 2005 (2005)

Jeff Beck – Emotion & Commotion Bonus DVD (Crossroads 2007) (2010)

Joe Bonamassa – Live from the Royal Albert Hall (2009)

Neil Young – Heart of Gold (2005)

Nigel.
              Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                Neil Young – Heart of Gold (2005)

Nigel.
                I have not heard many DVD's, but this one sounded as good as any of the best sound-quality See Dee's I have.

Bouns is that it's a great performance, too.
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

I have both the Alison Krauss and the Neil Young dvd. Both are very good sounding Dvd's to be sure. Neil Young puts a lot of effort into his recordings. Most of his stuff on Dvd is DTS and most of his cd's are HDCD compliant. I guess the reason why I like my Steely Dan concert so much is that not only is the audio superb, the the whole concert experience is good also. Plus, I'm a sucker for horns and backup vocals!!. Also, these guys are so tight they s**t diamonds !!.

Comment

• rdram
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                    Here are 4 blu-ray's which, imho are way above average in terms of sound:

Btw the Chris Botti - Live in Boston blu-ray is still my reference disc. :T
                    ShadowZA...

Thanks for posting. Embarrassed to say I've never heard of Chris Botti. And I played a brass instrument for 8 years in middle and high school, so I appreciate trumpet. Got both the Chris Botti and Sting Blu-rays this weekend. The Botti disc is amazing...sound quality and performance. The drummer in the band may be the best I've ever seen. Sting is next.

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

I'm quite fond of (and frequently revisit) Peter Gabriel's Secret World DVD.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Yes, the Botti disc is one of my favorites, and parts still bring me to tears every time I watch/listen to it.

You know, I would love to see an all-star jam session with Sting, Botti, Phil Collins, and maybe BB King. I really think that their collective styles would mesh well together, (obviously Sting and Botti do) and would be an incredible performance.

I haven't seen "Live in Berlin" yet, but on ya'lls recommendation, I added it to my Amazon wish list as a blind purchase.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

I don't think Phil Collins would be up for such a thing--at least not at the moment. Since his spinal injury during the Genesis tour in 2007, he's lost a lot of the feeling in his left hand (for a left-handed person, that has to suck) and is not up to the rigours of sitting behind a kit for several hours on stage. To play drums in the studio on his Motown covers album (released last year), he had to tape the drumstick to his left hand to keep it from flying out of his hand. I have the BD of the concert he did for the album (no tour--just 3 nights in NYC at the Roseland Ballroom and one night in London) and he is a shell of his former energetic self on stage. The concert is good musically (his band is tight) but I saw him during the 2007 tour (before his injury) and he was in fine form. Three years later and he has slowed down, a lot (and he did not play one beat on the drums during the show).

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Yeah, I heard about that. That's such a shame. He's one artist that I really respect. I thought his work on "Tarzan" specifically, was superb.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• FlashJim
                              • Apr 2006

Nine Inch Nails - Beside You in Time ... on HD-DVD no less!

Jim

Comment

• Glen B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by madmac
                                :E The best sounding Dvd's I have heard to date are not even that new. They are "Steely Dan's 2 against nature" in DTS and "Eagles : Hell freezes over" in DTS.
                                Agree on Steely Dan 2 Against Nature. Eric Clapton Live in Hyde Park is very good too IMHO. Its not available on CD, so I "ripped" the DVD audio tracks and made my own double CD-R set.

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Yeah, I think I've got that NIN disc on BD, if I remember right.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Glen B
                                    Agree on Steely Dan 2 Against Nature. Eric Clapton Live in Hyde Park is very good too IMHO. Its not available on CD, so I "ripped" the DVD audio tracks and made my own double CD-R set.

:E YOU DID??. I have always been curious how to rip dvd audio into a CD . Can you explain the process and/or the program you use to do this?.

Comment

• Davey
                                      • Jan 2003

Try this:

Xilisoft DVD Audio Ripper is top DVD Audio Extractor to rip DVD audio from DVD, convert DVD to MP3, WMA, WAV, M4A, AAC, AC3 and OGG format fast and simply.

Dave.

Comment

• renowilliams
                                        • Apr 2011

David Gilmour, a night to remember has excellent sound.

Tim

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

Probably about the best quality I've heard on blu-ray.... You can almost feel each string plucked between the two of them. Great sound stage presence... I only listen to it in 2ch PCM mode...and it's unbelieveable.

Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                          -Dan

Comment

• madmac
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Davey
                                            Try this:

Xilisoft DVD Audio Ripper is top DVD Audio Extractor to rip DVD audio from DVD, convert DVD to MP3, WMA, WAV, M4A, AAC, AC3 and OGG format fast and simply.

Dave.

Thanks Dave!. I'll check it out. :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                              Probably about the best quality I've heard on blu-ray.... You can almost feel each string plucked between the two of them. Great sound stage presence... I only listen to it in 2ch PCM mode...and it's unbelieveable.

Dan & I watched / listened to this one at his place a while ago.

As a 2ch vinyl purist & practicing curmudgeon, I must admit this really is a great sounding DVD.

But it sounded best when I closed my eyes and imagined a nice VPI Super Scoutmaster sitting where his huge flat screen is. :W
                                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"