X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Texas Chainsaw Massacre... hmmm

Well I was never a big fan of the first one. All that screaming was like listening to someone run his fingernails down a chalkboard. The remake is close, but not exactly like the original. I decided to rent the remake to see if there was any improvement. There wasn't, and now I am regretting wasting 90 plus minutes of my valuable movie watching time ( I'm not getting any younger).

:1:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Thanks for the warning. Sounds like one to skip. Looks like the critics agree with you on that, too -- 88 out of 137 of those quoted at Rotten Tomatoes didn't like "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)". (That's 64% "thumbs down".) Their overall average rating was 4.8 out of 10 (not a good score).

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

It all depends what kind of horror film you like. While it's not for everyone's tastes... it's not the worst. Actually in comparison to the drought of horror films as of late, it's not bad at all.

It's biggest sin was that it was called Texas Chainsaw Massacre...if it didn't have that title I think it would have faired better. It has a couple of rather well played out intense scenes and good pacing.
      Not much story and next to zero back story.

So your mileage may vary with this one. They're very different movies and I let the movie title "faux pas" pass, so I didn't mind what they tried to do with this one. The value in this movie plays high for intensity but offers zero social commentary.

Deranged killer chases girl, kills friends, chases her some more, girl gets away, scene left with the possiblity of a part 2 (or part 6 depending how you view things)
      and offers little else, if you accept that going in you'll do okay.

"A RONSTER!"
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

I concur with George, this was a complete waste of time and rental money. If someone gave me this DVD I would give it back. I am a horror fan, and this wasn't horror it was horrible, but as Gordon said your mileage will vary, if you don't run out of gas first.

Azeke

Comment

• Glen
          • Dec 2003

Awww, I'm still going to rent it. I can't help myself. I always find something entertaining in these movies. By the time I get around to renting it, it'll be in the cheap movie section - so I won't have much to lose.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I know where you're coming from, Glen. I rented it, too, didn't I. :LOL:

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
              • Nov 2003

Those type of films really are not my type of horror but then again it is a terror movie.
              Robert

Comment

• John Styrnol
                • Nov 2002

Did not care for it as well, still a waste of .69 cents.
                John

My Home Theater
                My Home Page

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Ok, I'll give it a :rf ! I enjoyed the film.

I would not put it in the "must see" catagory. But, the film had it's moments.

The sound was fantastic.

I have no problem adding this to my collection for when it's time for "Fright Night Theater"
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Feb 2002

Fright Night
                    Now that was a campy 80's vampire movie... I might have to go searching that one out again...it's been a while. :
                    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"