• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Amityville Horror

'Amityville Horror' remake pointless

By BRUCE KIRKLAND - Toronto Sun

PLOT: Based very loosely on true-life events in 1974-76, the story concerns the Lutz family, who move into an allegedly haunted house where six murders took place 13 months before.

The deadly slogan written in fridge magnets in The Amityville Horror still resonates: "Ketcham & Kill 'Em."

That pretty much tells you all you need to know about Andrew Douglas' new remake of the 1979 hit flick of the same name. Any pretence that the movie is actually "a true story" is submerged so deep in blood that the alleged truths buried in the horror are suffocated.

That is unless you actually believe in ghosts, haunted houses, bleeding walls and a little dead girl with a bullet hole in her head with just enough room for someone's finger. Surprisingly, the re-make is not that scary, even with that gross-out scene of the finger poking into the head wound.

Nor was the original, for that matter, as it made its slow build to the level of psychological terror that drove the Lutz family out of 112 Ocean Ave in Amityville, a Long Island town near New York City, after only 28 days of residence.

The original movie worked, to a point, by making us feel as if we were walking in James Brolin and Margot Kidder's shoes as they slowly went crazy in the house.

The new movie works, to a point, by turning the House of Horrors into a creep show that pushes the Lutz marriage into nightmare territory. This time, hapless George and Kathy are played by Ryan Reynolds (in a dramatic image shift from his silly comedy capers) and Melissa George (the new hottie on Alias).

There are plenty of bestial scenes. Besides the 1970s stuff -- the notorious DeFeo murders and the subsequent haunting of the Amityville house -- the new movie shows brutal scenes of torture, mutilation and murder in the 1700s.

This is where the Ketcham connection comes in. John Ketcham was an alleged witch banished from Salem. Some believe he brutalized native people on the site where the Amityville house, with its devil eyes, was later built. The re-make accepts that as fact and shows us in graphic detail what he might have done in a series of quick-edit flashback sequences which can only be described as truly horrifying.

Personally, I do not see why the movie's producers, who also generated the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, would want to remake The Amityville Horror. It serves no useful purpose. That said, there obviously is a market and, with the technological advances in filmmaking since 1979, it is possible to deliver the goods with more intensity.

The hi-tech polish of the remake glosses over the acting deficiencies. Reynolds is eye candy for the ladies, especially with his shirt off and his body built up for Blade Trinity, which he filmed before this. But his transition from loving stepdad and husband to psycho possessed guy is less than convincing. George is good, though, as the mom and wife.

Philip Baker Hall, playing the priest role Rod Steiger pumped full of sweaty angst in the original, is irrelevant because this version of the saga is only vaguely religious.

Overall, the new version of The Amityville Horror is effective but not inventive. But it will creep you out.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The original was a low budget flick that made a lot of money. Like the reviewer said, it worked because it slowly showed how the goings on in the house affected Brolin and Kidder's marriage. I didn't find the original all that scary, but it did have moments when you got goose bumps. Sounds like the remake will overdo the horror thing and likely go overboard in the cgi department. But I wonder why a remake of this is necessary. Guess Hollywood writers can't come up with enough scary material fast enough to cash in on the new horror rage due to hits like The Ring, The Grudge, etc, etc,...
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I wasn't a fan of the first try, so I'll definitely be passing on this one.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

I was hoping that with the technological advances with CGI, that this one would provide both better plot and graphics than the original.

Anyone going to see it?

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Foxman
          • Jan 2003

This kind of horror tends to scare the crap outta me. I still have yet to see the latest release of the original Excorsist "the one you've never seen". I had the release of the AMityville Horror in my hands and decided to out it back. I'd be interested in seeing the new one at the theater, but lack of time makes it tough.
          IMO

My Movies
          Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Paid my $4.75 for the ticket.

With all the material available, I still can't believe a great haunted-house film hasn't been developed. This one was pretty good, but I thought the storyline lacked severely in spots and had trouble as a whole. Some scenes were definetly cool, but others were stupid/overdone. No regrets about seeing it though.

It will be worth a rent, but not a purchase.

:3: out of :5:
            ~Nick

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Nick if you want to see a great haunted house film, see the original THE HAUNTING, directed by Robert Wise. No cgi crappo there, just good acting, direction and atmosphere. Even today, when I play it I get the goosebumps during certain scenes.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

George, I'll definetly look for it. I didn't even know there was an original!
                ~Nick

Comment

• H.T.C
                  • Nov 2003

You can also rent "The legend of hell house" with roddy mcdowell and pamala franklin another good haunted house film.
                  Robert

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                    George, I'll definetly look for it. I didn't even know there was an original!
                    Warning: it was released in 1963 and is in black and white. But it is a winner.As Robert pointed out,Legend of Hell House is also pretty good, but lacks the good direction Wise gave to The Haunting, which is based on a short story by Shirley Jackson.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"