X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Shutter Island... finally...

...got around to renting it. Fantastic performance by Leonardo DeCaprio. I won't even try to describe the storyline, except to say it is ALL about insanity. It is a different type of film for Marty Scorcese, and as much as I like his work and have most of what he did in my collection, I won't be collecting Shutter Island. Not because it isn't an excellent movie, but rather because I found the subject matter and the story itself all rather depressing. Still, if you want to see some top notch acting by DeCaprio and directing by Scorcese, then this is a must see.
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Excellent film (I watched it this past Saturday). I don't want to discuss plot points (I deliberately avoided learning too much about the film before watching it and it was for the best). I will say that it reminds me of his remake of Cape Fear in that it is an homage to an earlier kind of film-making (in this case, film noir). Unlike George, I do plan to add it to the collection as I think the story bears repeat viewings (Roger Ebert's review does a good job explaining why, but it should only be read AFTER seeing the film--not before).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Paul, normally I would have added this to my collection, but the last year or so has been a tough one in regards to the health of my wife, so I really try to avoid depressing movies these days. I knew what to expect of Shutter Island ( and yes, you really couldn't discuss this plot without spoilers all over the place ) but I really wanted to see it, knowing full well it dealt with a depressing subject.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I understand. I don't begrudge other people's choices about what films they choose to buy or not. And I am not immune to the "once is enough, even if it is good" syndrome--I felt that way about The Road (very well done, no need to see it again) and Reservation Road (fairly well done, has the lovely Jennifer Connelly in it--which was why I rented it--but deals with a subject I feel no need to revisit [the death of a young child--I have two of my own]).

I'm sorry to learn of your wife's health troubles--I hope they resolve themselves well. Might I recommend some Billy Wilder comedies to lighten the mood?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation

I'm sorry to learn of your wife's health troubles--I hope they resolve themselves well. Might I recommend some Billy Wilder comedies to lighten the mood?
          Good suggestion. Think I might see if I can find The Apartment with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine. Been a long time since I saw it and always felt it was one of Wilder's best.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I have it in a four disc collection (The Apartment, Kiss Me Stupid, Some Like It Hot--a personal favourite--and The Fortune Cookie). Wonderful stuff (and the box set wasn't too expensive--25-30$ at Future Shop last year).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

The only one I have in my collection is Some Like It Hot. Must keep an eye out for those others.They were probably released separately.
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"