X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Daybreakers

I'm not a huge fan of vampire movies (the Bela Lugosi and Coppola films are an exception--I like those a fair bit) but I was intrigued by the premise of Daybreakers. The majority of the world's human population is infected by a virus that makes them vampires and global society has adapted to this reality (in some interesting ways). The problem is the "food supply" is running very low and no effective alternative yet exists. I'll leave it at that and only say that it's worth a viewing (warning: while not the most blood-spattered film I've seen, it is a vampire movie, so those with low tolerance for blood should think twice). Good cast with Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe and Sam Neill.
    :35: out of :5:
    I would have rated it four stars if the ending had been a bit less predictable. Still worth watching for the first 2/3 especially.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I sort of got bored with all those vampire flicks so I passed on this one. But you make it sound inteesting so perhaps I'll give it a rental.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I passed over all the other ones (Twilight series, various others--the last vampire movie I watched was my BD of Bram Stoker's Dracula as I love Hopkins in that movie as well as the superb soundtrack).

The movie poses a number of interesting questions that might have been even better in a mini-series, but it still works as a movie. I think (this has been suggested in at least one review I've read) the final act becomes more predictable and conventional because the funding was not available for a more elaborate conclusion. I'd bet the three principals appeared for less than their usual fee (they're not A-list stars like Cruise or Hanks but they don't come free).

If I were teaching film, instead of history (with the occasional historical feature film thrown in), I might do a unit on recent "dystopias" by examining this film along with Children of Men and Blade Runner. Might be worth a "dystopia" weekend of screenings, at any rate.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

This one is on my "get in trouble at WalMart tomorrow" list along with Green Zone and Sherlock Holmes. Y'have to take advantage of these trips to the mainland. :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• DelRay
          • Jun 2004

Seen this one a couple of weeks ago. I'm also not a big Vampire movie guy, but I thought that this one was pretty good.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

This one turned out to be a little further off the way-too-beaten-vampire-movie-path than I had originally thought. Rather than getting into plot details and the like, I'll just say I did like the premise, casting and acting even though the end felt particularly rushed (and yes, predictable). :3: out of :5: which would have easily been higher with only a more thought out ending.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Yeah, I have to agree with Tex here. The ending needed more work. But I wasn't sorry I rented it.
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"