X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

Inglorious Bastards

Watched Inglorious Bastards on Sunday. I've only seen one other Quentin T movie (Pulp Fiction) and didn't think to much of it. I've also read a few things about him and his movies here and there.

Well this was one of his movies and I think it would have been better with about 50% less QT.

Does anyone really enjoy the graphic violence?
    Does anyone think it adds to the movie?
    Does anyone think it would be a lessor movie without it?

The Spaghetti Western touches, the mixed humor were ok. The villain was great and played to the hilt. Rewriting history was interesting. Brad Pitt was corney, as was the idea I'm sure.

Why make a nice meal and then kill half the dishes with salt? I'm usually to each their own, but really what's the entertainment value with the graphic violence to this extreme? Not about volume per se, but when it had violence it was very graphic.

I'm hard pressed to understand someone "enjoying it". I also think that someone (QT) who is that fixated on violence is maybe not quite right.

Back to the world of movie viewing I guess I shelter myself into.
    Last edited by greenhorn; 09 February 2010, 16:17 Tuesday.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Well, I guess I'm not "decent", as I thoroughly enjoyed it, plan to buy it and am a big fan of Tarantino's work. But, to each his own.

Comment

• greenhorn
      • Feb 2007

I edited my post down a bit. Not right my passing that kind of judegment. Your response helped point that out to me.

Still have a hard time understanding, same with my wife watching her crime shows. The world is filled with so much real violence and barbarity I don't have much inclination to enjoy it as fiction.

I will say that there is historical and factual context where it is relivant and appropriate.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Oh, I got a kick out this movie. The investigator was such a brilliant character! He was my favorite part of the movie. Yes, it was a lot of reading (unless you speak German), but the funny parts were still very much enjoyable to me.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by greenhorn
          I've only seen one other Quentin T movie (Pulp Fiction) and didn't think to much of it.
          Hey greenhorn, I think that a lot of the movies I watch are crap but Pulp Fiction was absolutely fantastic, in fact one of the best films I've ever seen. I'm clearly the odd man out when it comes to movies!

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I'm not a fan of the QT style and violence, although I think there are aspects about his work that do show good directing.

Someone told me I really need to watch this movie, so it's on my Netflix queue.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I am big on war films and usually add any new release to my collection. But I haven't seen Inglorious Basterds as yet so I guess I'll rent it first. Tarantino's work is usually off the wall. I liked Pulp Fiction to some degree but wasn't overly thrilled by some of his other stuff. I can take him or leave him and that's why I'm hedging on IB.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
                • Jul 2000

Tarantino does take some getting used to. He grew up near us, at least before we moved to New Orleans. He was one of those kids everybody in the neighborhood new because, he was so different. Both in looks and actions. As you probably all know, he speant alot of time at the movies watching B movies in the one dollar theater over on Hawthorne Blvd as an escape from a single parent home.

When he graduated from high school he worked at the video store I used to walk to. He and the other employee, Roger Avery, were always having very animated discussions about movies. They were both good sources to ask about obscure "B" movies to rent. Quinton has some anger management problems and was known to get in fist fights with customers that returned their videos late. If you liked the dialogue between Travolta and Jackson in Pulp Fiction then you would love talking to Tarentino because that is excactly how he talks. Non-stop, stream of consiouness, with humor. His ideas are endless.

I liked his first three movies, especially Jackie Brown. They were all filmed in the Hawthorne/Inglewood area and it is fun to see places you drive by everyday. The violence in his movies is the same totally over the top kind you find in Sam Remy films. Not realistic but, probably not healthy for our psyche.

If you haven't seen Jackie Brown, I reccomend it. It is the least violent of his films.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Bob
                  If you haven't seen Jackie Brown, I reccomend it. It is the least violent of his films.
                  I forgot about that one. Yes, I rather liked it compared to some of the others.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• mitch57
                    • Nov 2004

I love this movie! Part of the reason is because I too like war movies and am intrigued and disturbed by the whole Nazi era.

The beginning of the movie is what set the pace for the rest of the movie for me. I purchased the movie and plan to watch it again soon.
                    Mitch
                    :stupidpc:

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Yes, on the side note, I did enjoy Jackie Brown
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• RavenX
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by bigburner
                        Hey greenhorn, I think that a lot of the movies I watch are crap but Pulp Fiction was absolutely fantastic, in fact one of the best films I've ever seen. I'm clearly the odd man out when it comes to movies!

Nigel.
                        +1. Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies along with Kill Bill.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                          • Sep 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The humor, while not top notch, was good and often unexpected. It wasn't meant to be a cinematic masterpiece, so it wasn't. It was meant be a very entertaining way to spend two hours, and it sure was!

Bonjiorno!
                          -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

I agree, I found the movie entertaining, but not clever from a dialogue perspective. If you watch it twice you catch some things you may have missed the first time.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Yeah, I just watched it this past weekend. Oddly enough, I liked it, when there was very little about it that I SHOULD have liked. Sheesh.. the only thing worse than Tarantino for gratuitous, unnecessary violence is Tarantino AND Eli Roth doing the same movie. (ok, maybe adding Sam Peckinpah would make it worse)

Add in the historical re-write, some deliberately cheesy acting, and I shouldn't have liked this movie at all. (again, just to start with, I'm not a Tarantino fan) But I did like it. It won't be a purchase for me, but it was an enjoyable piece.

I'm not even sure if I should admit it!
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                                I'm not a Tarantino fan) But I did like it. It won't be a purchase for me, but it was an enjoyable piece.

I'm not even sure if I should admit it!
                                Ahhh, it's ok to admit it, Chris. I'm gonna rent it eventually and will probably find I like it, too, just like you.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                                  (ok, maybe adding Sam Peckinpah would make it worse)
                                  Chris, I think maybe having Sam Peckinpah in there would add something, not take away.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                      Oh, I got a kick out this movie. The investigator was such a brilliant character! He was my favorite part of the movie. Yes, it was a lot of reading (unless you speak German), but the funny parts were still very much enjoyable to me.
                                      I agree I thought the investigator was a great character. This one was a blu-ray Christmas gift for me and I'm glad I got it. :T
                                      -Chuck

Comment

• David Meek
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

I went in with fairly low expectations on this one, and unlike Chris D (for once) I am fan of Quentin Tarantino. And, unlike Chris (for twice ) I didn't care for this one at all. I couldn't connect with any of the characters. I didn't enjoy the story, and the historical left turns definitely didn't help. I didn't enjoy the humor. About the only redeeming part was the German inspector played by Christoph Waltz. I'm good with having watched it, but it won't be a purchase and it won't even be a re-watch. Moving on. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David G
                                          • Jan 2005

George, rent it asap. As a war-movie buff, I guarantee you'll be smiling at the end.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Thanks, David. It was okay but I prefer war films that are more historically accurate so this one didn't do much for me.
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

• FrozenRapids
                                              • Sep 2010

I enjoyed this, but as most of Tarantino's films are, this is very heavily dialogue based, and if you find the characters boring it'll be hard to get into. The action, when it gets to the action is great, and the ending is crazy.
                                              Home Theater Deals

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"