• Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Nobody Knows

Nobody Knows IMDb
    PG-13, 141 minutes, essentially no sexual content or violence

I watched this movie about a month ago. It still haunts me.
    Keeping my promise to comment on subtitled films, I feel compelled to mention this one.

It is Japanese in origin, and the director is highly regarded within the independent film making world. The story revolves around four siblings who are basically left to fend for themselves as their mother leaves for extended periods to pursue her own career (the oldest in existence) and is supposedly based on a true story to some extent. Though if you do watch the entire movie, you can see how this story is not unique in this world or the worlds of the past. To me this film deals with some of the darkest sides of the human condition from the perspective of a child. And it is this aspect that makes it so profound.

IMHO, this film is one of the best made, directed, and scripted (minimally) I have ever seen.
    With that said, its effect is so disturbing on a human level, I truly hope I never see it again. While I would never have wanted to have missed seeing this film, it was so emotionally powerful, I simply would not wish to endure it a second time.

If you decide to see it, you will see the world in a slightly differrent way. And in the end, isn't that what the greatest films made are ment to do?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

As far as emotional impact, sounds like Grave of the Fireflies, an animé picture. If you want to endure that sort of emotion again, check that out.

BB

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

I haven't seen Nobody Knows , but I have seen and do own Grave of the Fireflies, which I bought for my anime freak younger daughter based on Roger Ebert labeling it possibly the best war movie ever made. His statement is hyperbole, but the film is still poignant, even though my daughter has stated she has zero interest in seeing it again.

I hope Hollywood has Nobody Knows, so thanks for the recommendation as I can't recall ever having heard of it before. My interest is definitely piqued.
      Keith

Comment

• David G
        • Jan 2005

Have to agree with everything you said wkhanna.
        I saw it a couple of weeks ago (I'm studying Japanese language). Quite a touching, moving, disturbing movie. Glad I saw it, but once is enough !!
        A couple of other Japanese movies I would recommend are Hana & Alice, & Hinokio.
        Cheers
        David

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Thanks, David, they are both now on my 'list'.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"