X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Pink Panther 2

I wanted my money back after Pink Panther 1, but I had hopes that ol' Steve Martin would come through with a better effort in the sequel, so I rented it and now am thinking of going after Mr. Martin to get compensated for the loss of not only two rental fees. but also for the loss of 180 minutes of what is left in my dwindling lifetime.

However, I may change my mind after I cool down. After all I did get one or two chuckles.

Steve, what happened to ye, my once favorite comedian ?

Oh, for anyone who maybe reading this thread, rent this turd at your peril.
    Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 28 July 2009, 13:37 Tuesday.
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I was thinking of buying it (wait, wait...) :lol: . For the collection of Pink Panther Cartoons on BD on the second disc. However, it seems they were not cleaned up all that much and may not be any better than the SD DVD versions said to be available.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Oh, I was SOOOOOOOO disappointed with the first! I'm not even going to bother with the 2nd. How can you beat the original Peter Sellers as the original Cleuseau, though? (sp) Those movies were just SO well done.

Even if you didn't have the originals to live up to, Steve Martin still falls way short of a naturally funny film here. Way too forced.

On the subject, though, I would like to buy all the originals on BD, though.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
        How can you beat the original Peter Sellers as the original Cleuseau, though? (sp) Those movies were just SO well done.

On the subject, though, I would like to buy all the originals on BD, though.
        I have all the originals on dvd and would also replace them with Blu if they decide to bring them out. We may see a set and that would really be nice as long as they don't include the two Martin efforts.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

The original Pink Panther (1962) is available on BD. Saw it in Future Shop for under 20$ (possibly under 15$, but I can't swear to that).

I rented "the turd" and watched it last night (I rented it to see if the cartoons looked good--turns out the second disc is an SD DVD). Not as good as the classic Sellers, of course, but I found it amusing enough to call it enjoyable. (must be my week for being in the minority opinion, what with this and my appreciation for Knowing)

Of course, I've been watching a pretty steady diet of serious films, a lot of them with very heavy themes (researching historical feature films doesn't give me the opportunity to watch a lot of comedy), I was quite tired (so more easily provoked into laughter) and having Aishwarya Rai (Sonia Solandres) in hi-def on my 64 inch screen merits at least one more viewing.

There were too many moments meant to be funny that didn't work for me to recommend this film but those moments I did find funny were very funny to me. So while I understand its poor critical reception, I still enjoyed it (and did I mention Aishwarya Rai in hi-def :T ).

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

... now to just wait for the box set!
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
              The original Pink Panther (1962) is available on BD. Saw it in Future Shop for under 20$ (possibly under 15$, but I can't swear to that).

There were too many moments meant to be funny that didn't work for me to recommend this film but those moments I did find funny were very funny to me.
              I'll check out Future Shop here to see if they have the original on Blu.

As for the film in question, yes there were far too many moments meant to be funny that weren't. It bothers me more than others, perhaps, because I used to be a hardcore Steve Martin fan and actually own many of his earlier films like The Jerk, etc., and it just just too painful to experience how terrible his latest efforts have been. Perhaps he should stop co-writing these scripts and leave the writing to someone else while he acts out the humor. Perhaps that would work better for him.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

I didn't even want to give the second one a chance. I only watched and liked the first one because of Beyoncé... ummmmm! And because of all the "hambaga" commercials. I use to love Pink Panther as a kid, and so I really wanted to like it since I was a fan. I think I'll take George's word, and just pass this one.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

You'll miss out on Aishwarya Rai in hi-def (I like Beyonce and all, but Aishwarya is even hotter).

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                    I'll check out Future Shop here to see if they have the original on Blu.
                    I picked it up tonight--12.99$ at Future Shop. Claudia Cardinale in hi-def. :T (I recommend The Professionals on BD for the same reason--and it's a great western).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                      I picked it up tonight--12.99$ at Future Shop. Claudia Cardinale in hi-def. :T (I recommend The Professionals on BD for the same reason--and it's a great western).
                      Thanks for reminding me. I was going to check out the local Future Shop for the Pink Panther. I have both the movies you mentioned on dvd and will replace them with Blu-ray hopefully over the weekend.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Clau-di-a! Clau-di-a! CLAU-DI-A!!! (sorry, I got carried away there)

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"