X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sugarmedia
    • Feb 2005

Martin Logan Aeon i (Vs) B&W 703

Audiophiles:

I listened to the Martin Logan Aeon-i, and the B&W 703 with the Rotel RC1090 preamp and the RB1080 power amp.

I made a disc with the following music on it to give it my test:

John Pizzarelli- Errand boy for rythmn
    John Lee Hooker- This is Hip
    Bobby McFerrin with Yo Yo Ma- Vivaldi
    Steve Reich- New York Counter part
    Miles Davis- Saeta
    Beastie boys- Paul Revere
    Too Shoot- Life is too short

The Aeon's did seem to be airy just as some have pointed out. Is that a bad thing or just the way the speaker naturally is?

The Aeon's also give you the feeling that you're "in" the music, and that it completely surrounds you in all directions. I guess the only big dissapointment with the Aeon's was the bass, because once I left classical and jazz and went to rap to test the bass it didn't have the drive or push that the 703's have. Is there a quality way without breaking the bank to increase the bass on these?

The only thing I can say (and I don't consider myself a professional audiophile) is that the B&W'S while very clear do give off a nice bass. The 703's also seemed to be a loud speaker in comparison. I mean that in the sense that it does blast at you- it really pushes the sound. I'm wondering if they can be tiresome over time? Has anyone made that comment on these? Should I be concerned? Any thoughts?

Lastly, I guess my dilemna is, "which to go for since they both rate equally in different capacities." My living room size is 6x4 meters. Is that an indication of what I should lean towards?

Of course, I know all of this is based on, "what I like" but can anyone add some insight to aid my decision?

Kind Regards,

Mark
    Last edited by sugarmedia; 07 February 2005, 18:15 Monday. Reason: .
  • Fraise
    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by sugarmedia
    Audiophiles:
    The Aeon's did seem to being airy just as some have pointed out. Is that a bad thing or just the way the speaker naturally is?

The Aeon's also give you the feeling that you're "in" the music, and that it completely surrounds you in all directions. I guess the only big dissapointment with the Aeon's was the bass, because once I left classical and jazz and went to rap to test the bass it didn't have the drive or push that the 703's have. Is there a quality way without breaking the bank to increase the bass on these?

The only thing I can say (and I don't consider myself a professional audiophile) is that the B&W'S while very clear do give off a nice bass. The 703's also seemed to be a loud speaker in comparison. I mean that in the sense that it does blast at you- it really pushes the sound. I'm wondering if they can be tiresome over time? Has anyone made that comment on these? Should I be concerned? Any thoughts?

Lastly, I guess my dilemna is, "which to go for since they both rate equally in different capacities." My living room size is 6x4 meters. Is that an indication of what I should lean towards?

Of course, I know all of this is based on, "what I like" but can anyone add some insight to aid my decision?
    as for being airy and open...i would say thats a good thing, but if you dont like it its bad. thats more of a personal thing. The B&W's will play louder than the logans. the B&W's will have better bass than the logans. you made the comment about rap music to test the bass but in all fairness to that genre, theres very few quality recordings so if the bass is all you're looking for, the aeons with a sub would do quite well. At least that way you can still enjoy the quality of the classical and jazz. my opinion is biased but i still say go for the logans.

Comment

• sugarmedia
      • Feb 2005

Well, I've pretty much decided that I'm going with the Martin Logan Aeon-i. The only thing at this point that will change my mind is if by hearing the B&W 804's I fall in love with them.

For me, it seems there is more consistency with ML and their technology, whereas with B&W, there's always something new and improved. Just like fashion as one poster pointed out i.e., "Last year it's the new FST, this year it's Diamond Technology, next year- all product lines get FST and Diamond, and then the year after that they will all get curved boxes + a suprise inside the box. It never ends!

It actually reminds me of my Apple PowerBook...And boy, do these companies know how to market their products, and keep me salivating like a kid in a candy store.

So that's my opinion... Now for the Amp and Pre-amp.

I was thinking of going with either the Classe or the Rotel amps and pre-amps. However I don't have pricing on the classe, but it should match the Rotel componets I've listed below. Any thoughts??

My dealer suggested the following from Rotel:

• RC1090 preamp
      • RB1080 power amp.
      • CDplayer 1072

Many thanks!
      Last edited by sugarmedia; 08 February 2005, 13:56 Tuesday. Reason: .

Comment

• Jason R
        • Jul 2004

Have to agree ML service here is superp and they really make you feel like you are making the decision, not pushy at all. I have started to get very annoyed with b&w here for many many reasons but have bought second hand privately and am very happy with 804, they are spectecular for anything, rock, classical, rave, vocal they do it all.

I would not reccomend the 1080 for the ML's, they just don't reach deep enough in the bass department for me, since changing to levinson i have been spoilt, so i am not saying that it is bad, just that you will be pairing it with spekers that like smooth amps.

Perhaps try a classe or an older levinson

Comment

• jlee
          • Aug 2004

Sugarmedia,

There will be nothing from Classe that will match the price range of the Rotel components you suggested. Either get used Classe or those Rotel components. Jason R is correct about the 1080's not having the greatest bass extension. I've got a 1080 and Classe CAM-200's and the deep bass extension is actually easily audible (but not until I got the CAM-200's to see what I've been missing).

Comment

• Fraise
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by sugarmedia
            Well, I've pretty much decided that I'm going with the Martin Logan Aeon-i. The only thing at this point that will change my mind is if by hearing the B&W 804's I fall in love with them.

For me, it seems there is more consistency with ML and their technology, whereas with B&W, there's always something new and improved. Just like fashion as one poster pointed out i.e., "Last year it's the new FST, this year it's Diamond Technology, next year- all product lines get FST and Diamond, and then the year after that they will all get curved boxes + a suprise inside the box. It never ends!
            i wouldnt be so quick to say that considering the new Xstat technology, before that it was the gen 2 panels with clearspars, there was also the gen 1 CLS panels and the flat ones. for the subs and higher end speakers theres balanced force and force forward design. they still have their fair share of changes. all of which have been for the better.

Comment

• sugarmedia
              • Feb 2005

Whoa! jlee.

My wife just heard me say, "Holy shit' and asked, "what, what? So when I told her it was $4,000usd new, she said, "forget about it."

What's a guy to do?

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Go buy her a new Louis Vuitton purse, but dont give it to her until your walking into the Audio store! That will stunn her into a daze in which she wont recover from for weeks.! Believe me, it works.
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• sugarmedia
                  • Feb 2005

But Fraise...

Of course Martin Logan has made a few changes along the way. There's no way they could rest on their laurels watching the world go by, but instead have continued to update an already winning formula in new and exciting ways.

I think the basic design philosophy remains the same- we can still see the same pattern running from the earlier models to the latest models. What lies behind the secret of its design? Granted, some designer questions are answered simply by a matter of necessity- the development of an electrostatic transducer plays an important part in how an ESL speaker is constructed. Yet, a few basic features remain at the forefront of the design (Linear and Curvilinear Conformity, Transparent Composition, High-Tech Functionalism) and through a closer inspection of them, we hope to discover a little more about the lasting appeal these speakers have.

And, this is something that I don't think B&W can claim. Hence my post about everything changing aesthically over a few years time.
                  Last edited by sugarmedia; 11 February 2005, 10:54 Friday. Reason: .

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"