X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Gran Torino

I enjoyed this movie. Clint Eastwood did a stellar job and that's with all 3 of the jobs he had (Actor, Director, Producer).

Highly recommend it! :T

Grade: A
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

I agree Gump. I don't think you could find an actor to portray that role better than Eastwood. He did a masterful job IMHO.

For those that don't know much about the movie, Eastwood plays a recently widowed retired Korean War Veteran who still lives in his old neighbourhood. He's watched the neighbourhood change over the years from what I imagine was a typical "blue collar" American neighbourhood, to what has now become an primarily Asian neighbourhood, with the suburbs taking the place of what he used to cherish. The current state of the neighbourhood and its changing culture is not something that he is comfortable with, likely both from his generational background and his experiences in the war.

For the duration of the film, Eastwood is challenged with trying to come to terms with what his neighbourhood has become along with dealing with his own insecurities and in many ways his fears and haunting memories. It's also the story of a a young girl befriending a man (Eastwood) whom she should have no business interacting with, based on his appearance and attitudes.

There are many underlying subplots and themes in the movie and I think it's one you could definitely watch a few times and not grow tired of.

I agree with the "A" rating. It's a beaut.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I bought this recently and will likely watch it several times, like all the other Eastwood titles I have in my collection.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Bought this last week also, great movie and will watch it more than once!
        B&W

Comment

• David G
          • Jan 2005

Great movie with themes that I think many of the guys here can relate to.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Well, I just saw it on an airplane flight. Thought it was good, but not great. Thought the end was a little emotional, not really practical. He didn't need to die to meet his objective of redeeming himself and punishing the bad kids. I think that glorifies death when death is not necessary
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• David G
              • Jan 2005

Good point Chris, but I think he had other reasons too.

Comment

• NMG
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                Well, I just saw it on an airplane flight. Thought it was good, but not great. Thought the end was a little emotional, not really practical. He didn't need to die to meet his objective of redeeming himself and punishing the bad kids. I think that glorifies death when death is not necessary
                Based on his visit to the doctor, his coughing and his attempted "reconciliation" with his son, I'd say that he was dying anyway. I think he felt that by going out that way, at least his death could serve a positive purpose and help redeem himself from his past actions from the war that haunted him so much. I think it also played into the stubborness of his character, almost making that aspect of his life a tragic flaw

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Ah, could be true.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• H.Donald
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                    Yeah,kinda how I felt....

Comment

• David G
                      • Jan 2005

Also I felt that he really missed his wife and wanted to be with her

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

I'm probably one of the few who feels that the ending was appropriate. If you remember, to give the kids he came to like a chance to make it in life, he had to take out the entire gang, and for a variety of reasons, the way he did it worked. No spoiler necessary here.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• DelRay
                          • Jun 2004

This movie is a keeper. Clint Eastwood does a great job. Serious flick that also has alot of laughs. I think the ending was done right also.

Comment

• gross30
                            • Jun 2005

Just watched it last week on br. Great movie, very well done and I will be watching it some more. A keeper for sure.

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. I found myself laughing in places where, let's be frank, it probably was not polite to laugh--but real life is like that sometimes. In some ways, Eastwood's character reminded me of an uncle (long gone, sadly) who had a similarly curmudgeonly way of expressing himself about various minorities (and yet, without fanfare, could be astonishingly generous to the same people he insulted with various monikers and epithets). I don't think such behaviour should get a pass, even with the good deeds done (by Walt or my uncle), but it does illustrate, quite effectively, the complexities of human nature and behaviour and serves as a warning about trying to conveniently label people in a one-dimensional fashion.

Not Eastwood's best film ever (I still consider Unforgiven his best--though I know that is not an unchallenged choice), but certainly in the top 10-15 in my book. I will be adding it to my collection.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                • Aug 2000

Just kicking in another thumbs-up for this flick. :T Rented it a couple weeks ago, really enjoyed it. It's not easy to find truly good, rewatchable movies nowadays.

I'll probably buy it next time I'm on a movie shopping binge.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                  • Jan 2006

Loved it. Love Clint's movies anyway recommend this to anyone. Walt reminds of my grandfather, the good and bad. When I saw it at the theater there was a couple ahead of me and the woman was just appalled by Walt's racist comments. I think she wanted to leave the theater. I don't condone the comments made but it is very representative of the men from that era I knew. My grandfather ran a pool haul and there was a bunch of old timers that would play domino's in there and call each other all kinds of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"