X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Defiance a gritty war drama

Defiance is based on the true WW2 story of two Jewish brothers ( Tuvia and Zus Bielski ) who escape, along with 1000 non-combatant Jews of various ages and genders, into the Belarussian forest where they try to survive against all odds during the German occupation of Eastern Europe. The brothers end up in conflict over who is the better man to lead them, Tuvia ( Daniel Craig) who is perhaps too compassionate, or Zus ( Liev Schreiber ) who finds killing easy. After a bitter fight between the two, Zus ends up leaving the group to join up with the Russian resistance fighters. On his own now, Tuvia must try to get everyone through a devastating winter as the Germans close in for the kill.

This is an excellent war drama that will keep you on the edge of your seat, all the more so because it is true. The audio is strong when it has to be, and the Blu-ray PQ is good, but colors are muted somewhat and bluish in keeping with the bitter cold scenery. I rented this but may buy it eventually as I could enjoy watching it again. :T :T :T :T
    My Homepage!
  • Bmac
    • Aug 2006

Amazing story! I just watched it last night. I can't imagine trying to carry all my HT gear through the woods. If we could find an outlet the Rotel generates enough heat to warm the town. We could also drop the Cinenova on any unsuspecting Nazi. I knew I bought this stuff for a reason.

The special features on this disc were great. Meeting the families of the Bielski 's, and seeing the people who were there. I can't imagine how that would affect your outlook on things. Most other problems in life seem minor.

Liev and Daniel did a great job, and the emotions seemed spot on. They had no real bravado, and no macho image.

Grade : A-
    Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• H.Donald
      • Aug 2004

Amazing story...pretty good movie.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"