X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Passchendaele not your odinary war film

This is a Canadian made World War One film starring Paul Gross, a well known and respected Canadian actor who also wrote and directed Passchendaele. Gross was intrigued by a story told to him by his grandfather, Michael Dunne, about how he bayoneted a young German to death and how it haunted him until his final breath. That incident became the springboard leading to the making of this film, which is a story of courage and love, set against the backdrop of the First World War, and in particular, the battle of Passchendaele, also known as the third battle of Ypres.

The movie begins during the battle of Vimy Ridge in France. Sgt. Michael Dunne ( Gross ), a decorated veteran, is badly wounded and sent back to Alberta as a neurasthenia ( another word for shell shocked ) patient. While recuperating at a Calgary hospital, he meets and falls in love with a nurse, Sarah Mann. Upon release, Dunne remains in military service on the homefront as a recruiting officer. All would have been well until David, the asthmatic and misguided brother of Sarah, has his girlfriend's father doctor falsify records so he can enlist. The good doctor has ulterior motives for doing so. Sarah is horrified to learn this and incorrectly blames Dunne for enlisting her brother, after which Dunne, devasted and hurt, feels compelled to return to the front lines to protect young David from harm. Upon his return to the front, Dunne's commanding officer wonders why on earth he came back. He had done his part and was home free. Dunne's reply, " I did it for love. "

This is not your average war film in that there is only about 10 or 15 minutes of war scenes at the beginning, and a half hour toward the end. But those 45 minutes out of 120 are so intense and realistic that you will get your fill of war quite quickly and, if you're like me, will breathe a sigh of blessed relief when the battle of Passchendaele comes to an end.

Paul Gross made this film as a tribute to his grandfather, the real Sgt. Michael Dunne. His grandfather rarely talked about the war ( my dad was also a veteran of WW 1, so I understand this all to well ) but once during a fishing trip the story of how he bayoneted a young German to death came out and, as mentioned earlier, became the springboard for this film. But I feel it is not only a tribute to Gross's grandfather, but also to the many courageous young men who fought and died in the trenches during that terrible war.

The film is said to be historically accurate ( especially that final battle of Passchendaele ) and is a realistic look at what life was like , both on the battlefield and at home, during the First World War. It is an excellent film showing believable people trying to cope during a difficult, violent and dangerous time in history.

The images and audio on the Blu-ray disc are outstanding, and put you there in the middle of all that carnage during the battle of Passchendaele. Images of that battle, along with the touching love story of Sarah and Michael, will stay with you long after the credits fade.

Highly recommended. And, for collectors like me, is a must own. :T
    My Homepage!
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Thanks George ... I'm going to look out for this one. :T

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I've had too many films on my plate to get to this yet, but this will definitely be added to my collection (I may need to spring for the SD version as well to use in class, but perhaps I can cart my PS3 to class if need be).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
        I've had too many films on my plate to get to this yet
        Ovation, trust me. Move this one up on your list.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

It's only available as a one day rental at my local store and with two kids (7 and 3), I never rent anything I can't keep for at least a week. I nearly bought it yesterday, but at 35$ plus tax, I thought I'd do a little shopping around. It will be screened soon, though--not to worry.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

It is an excellent film showing believable people trying to cope during a difficult, violent and dangerous time in history.
            So it will be a problem relating to this one since we live in such an easy, peaceful and safe time in history.

Seriously, it sounds like an intriguing film. Thanks for the recommendation. However, it looks like it might be a rare find south of the 49th parallel.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Burke Strickland

Seriously, it sounds like an intriguing film. Thanks for the recommendation. However, it looks like it might be a rare find south of the 49th parallel.
              Yeah, Canadian films are not distributed as well as they should be. Alliance Atlantis distributed this one so perhaps it will be available on Netflix or at Amazon. This film was made on a 20 million dollar budget, and that is huge for a Canadian film, so maye some of that money went into distribution.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Bummer

FYI;

Not listed at Netflix...... :M

$25 - $30 at Amazon for the standard DVD. :E

Ooohhh Wait......$18.35 at Deepdiscount.com
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

I just finished this (I'm screening a variety of films over the next few weeks to compile a list of usable ones in class and for an article I hope to write for an academic journal). It is a film worth watching and has some very good moments, but it is not without its flaws. Talented as he is, I think the film's ambitions fell a bit beyond Paul Gross' grasp. The battle scenes are well done (there is one moment that went a bit too far beyond the believable, imo, but it's relatively brief and does not ruin the rest of the battle scenes) and there were some moments in the "homefront" section that were also well done. However, the quality of the performances from the supporting cast is uneven and there are moments of awkward transition that a more experienced director may have avoided. Moreover, while I don't mind the trope of cutting from the battlefield to the homefront, I did not find the two elements meshed together as well as they could have.

All in all, a good film that could have been great, and one that definitely merits a viewing. I suspect, though, to non-Canadians especially, for most people, a single viewing will suffice. It does provide good fodder as a source of excerpts for some of my classes, though, so I will add it to my collection.

I would also like to note that the song that plays over the final credits is, with the accompanying historical footage from the war, quite moving.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

I would also like to note that the song that plays over the final credits is, with the accompanying historical footage from the war, quite moving.
                    Very much so.

As far as the film itself, I suppose I liked it more than you, Ovation, for a very different reason. My father was a WW1 veteran and died well before his time due to after effects of that horrible war. He carried outward and inward scars and it was the inward ones that medicine was ignorant of at that particular time. They really just didn't know how to deal with these traumatized veterans. The film touches on this. Also, seeing some of those battle scenes ( which, apparently were historically correct ) made me realize why my dad never talked about WW 1.
                    So for those reasons, I tip my hat to Paul Gross. No, his movie lacked the finesse of the more experienced filmmakers, but for his really first effort as producer, writer, director and actor, I thought it was very well done.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

I did not dislike the film. Moreover, I understand the obstacles facing Gross (a budget of that size allowed for good visuals, but probably left little for better quality supporting actors, for example). I also understand the personal nature of the story for Gross and I appreciated his making the attempt at making an historical epic. I think it is important to make young Canadians aware of a chapter of their history that all too often gets short shrift (as I know from years of experience fighting over curricular changes).

Essentially, my critique was intended to articulate how I would present such a film to a class (I find these fora useful to sketch out ideas, on occasion, that I use in class when film is part of the subject matter). I certainly think it is worthy effort and I hope it inspires further attempts to put history to film in Canada.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Essentially, my critique was intended to articulate how I would present such a film to a class (I find these fora useful to sketch out ideas, on occasion, that I use in class when film is part of the subject matter). I certainly think it is worthy effort and I hope it inspires further attempts to put history to film in Canada.
                        I definitely understand, Ovation. And I wouldn't doubt for a moment that your critique is correct. There was more of an emotional connection to the film for me, which can certianly color one's judgement when trying to be as honestly critical as one should be.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"