X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Valkyrie delivers the goods

Valkyrie is a well made, well acted thriller about the true plot to assissinate Hilter in the dying days of WW2. Tom Cruise portrays the brilliant Col. Stauffenberg, who hatches an almost foolproof plan. But like everything else in life, things don't always go according to Hoyle, and what could have ended the war a year earlier ended up being a tragedy for the plotters involved. Cruise does a very good job in his portrayal and he his supported by an outstanding cast that includes Terence Stamp, Tom Wilkinson, Kenneth Branagh and Bill Nighy.

This subject has been covered before in a couple of other WW2 films, probably more notably The Desert Fox, starring James Mason as Rommell, who ended up committing suicide due to his part in the assassination plot. But the plot was never dealt with in any detail and it was very interesting to see how it was all put together, and, of course, how it went wrong.

Valkyrie is a tense, satisfying film about a group of courageous German officers who saw the evil in Hitler's war and decided to do something about it and save Germany from allied destruction. Ironically, 9 months after the failed plot, Hitler committed suicide in a Berlin bunker as allied troops neared the city.

The Blu-ray PQ is stunning and, though most of the film is dialogue heavy, audio is strong during a battle scene during the opening scenes. I really enjoyed this film but for me it just doesn't have a lot of rewatch value, so I went the rental route. But whether you want to add it to your collection or just rent it, see it for sure. :T :T :T :T
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I just found out today that a former professor of mine (the world's expert on internal German resistance to Hitler) was the chief historical advisor for this film. It just became a must-own blind-buy option for me because of that. Looking forward to seeing it.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I thought it was good. It's fascinating to me, how a select group of men, headed by one brilliant sicko, were able to delude an entire nation and come fairly close to genocide and world domination. Movies like this interest me, to show "groupthink", and how some are able to get around it.

Was Rommel really part of the assassination plot? Hadn't heard that.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D

Was Rommel really part of the assassination plot? Hadn't heard that.
        There seems to be some doubt that he was actually involved, but he apparently didn't hide his growing dissatisfaction with how Hitler's war was going, and after his discovery of the concentration death camps, he became even more critical. So whether he was actually involved in the plot or not, anyone who dared to criticize the regime was a marked person after the attempted assassination. Rommel, because of his standing as Field Marshall was given two choices: kill himself or face a firing squad. He chose number one.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David G
          • Jan 2005

Saw this over the weekend.
          Now bear in mind I was already quite familiar with the story, having seen both the documentaries on the assassination plot, and the excellent German movie made a few years ago.
          In a word - brilliant. Top class actors (Tom Cruise is very un-Cruise like), authentic locations, suspense and drama to keep you riveted, and some excellent video and audio. Its the best "war" movie I've seen in a long time.

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

I am one of those who typically enjoys the occasional Cruise film (Last Samurai is on my all time short list). Thanks for the reviews I wasn't really planning to pick this one up, but may give it a rent or buy.
            -Chuck

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I enjoyed the movie as well. well worth the buy. I felt it brought good exposure to a bit of history worth noting. though not completely accurate.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• H.Donald
                • Aug 2004

Didn't care for this movie that much...probably just a little sick of Tom Cruise.

Of the 3 war movies that I watched recently....I found Defiance to be a much better film,and Miracle at St Anna's to be superior to all of them.
                I found more suspense in the A&E 1hr episode of Valkyrie,than this film.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

I fell asleep.
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

I thought it was quite good but it really is a bit of a drag and I imagine if this isn't the type of movie that grabs your attention then you really probably aren't going to like it much.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Dougie085
                      I thought it was quite good but it really is a bit of a drag and I imagine if this isn't the type of movie that grabs your attention then you really probably aren't going to like it much.
                      That pretty much sums it up. It was the history of the event that interested me.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Same here, ever since I took US History in college I've been a lot more interested in historical events.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"