• Gump
    • Sep 2005

Burn After Reading

The Coen Brothers owe me 96 minutes of my life back..... 8O

Grade: D+
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I have to disagree. I enjoyed it quite a bit (it is absurd in a way that resembles another of their films that I count among my favourites--Raising Arizona). It's not their best effort, but I found it laugh out loud funny at some points (not as consistently as I have some other comedies, but far more so than many I've seen over the years).

Grade: B

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I would say it's a rental It wasn't horrible and it certainly had it's funny quirks and irony all over.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
        I enjoyed it quite a bit (it is absurd in a way that resembles another of their films that I count among my favourites--Raising Arizona). It's not their best effort, but I found it laugh out loud funny at some points
        That's pretty much the way I saw it, also.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

I saw it at the cinema last year and I remember enjoying it quite a bit.
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

Show's us how we all have are own taste.
            Burn After Reading- A+ for me

I feel the same about the Big Labowski and O'Brother Where Are Thou, yet many people don't find either the least bit funny.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Bob, I believe we Coen Bros. fans have a bit of a warped sense of humor...
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Gump
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Gump
                The Coen Brothers owe me 96 minutes of my life back..... 8O

Grade: D+
                Well, being the objective, open-minded fellow that I am; I took all of your respected comments to heart and re-evaluated my opinion on this movie. I'm open to opposing views and am not hesitant to admit when I may be wrong.

So, after careful, soul-searching introspection I've decided to change my grade on this terrific witty film. New Grade: D-.

And for the record I do "get" the Coen Brothers' off-beat sense of humor. I love "The Big Lebowski" and "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?". I own both of these movies (to my wife's chagrin) and rank them among my favorites. Who wouldn't love "The Dude"? The movies "Fargo", "Raising Arizona", "No Country for Old Men", etc. are classics that I consider as great movies.

All these movies are great for many reasons, but the predominate one is their (Coen Brothers) amazing talent for creating quirky, eccentric yet endearing characters that you can't help laughing at as well as rooting for. They are geniuses at it.

In "Burn After Reading" I could see they were trying this winning formula again by having these "unique" characters unwittingly forced into odd circumstances by unforseen twists of fate. The blueprint is clever and has worked for all of their other movies. In this one it didn't. At least not for me, anyway.

I just couldn't feel any empathy or interest in these characters and their plight(s). Actually, I found them to be a bit annoying. I might have felt sorry for them if they hadn't been so irritating. I kept waiting for them to do or say something even slightly funny or amusing (unintentionally of course as with the Coen Brothers' usual M.O.) and, well, I'm still waiting...

Anyway, I could go on and on about this and try and support my view but we're all old enough and smart enough to know that would be an exercise in futility...you have your opinions and I have mine. To each his own :T .

I'm glad you all enjoyed the movie so much...I truely wish that I had also.

Neil
                Last edited by Gump; 26 February 2009, 21:29 Thursday.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

You know, I'm actually not a big fan of all those other movies, but I LOVE Raising Arizona. Man, what a hilarious movie.

"Son, you got a panty on your head!"
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bmac
                    • Aug 2006

Brad Pitt was hilarious, and the CIA directors conversations were great. You have to watch it twice. B+
                    Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• Gump
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Bmac
                      Brad Pitt was hilarious, and the CIA directors conversations were great. You have to watch it twice. B+
                      I'll concede that the Supervisor of the CIA played by the talented J.K. Simmons was a bright spot in the movie, quote: "Report back to me when it makes sense.". Pitt's character was also mildly amusing in a pathetic sort of way.

However, neither was enough to save the whole movie.

Alright, Bmac...you talked me into it----back to D+

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Alright, Bmac...you talked me into it----back to D+
                        Now, now, Gump, stick to your guns. :P
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Gump
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                          Now, now, Gump, stick to your guns. :P
                          What can I say, George? I'm just turning into a big softy in my old age....HA!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

What can I say, George? I'm just turning into a big softy in my old age....HA!
                            Yeah, age'll do that to ya...
                            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"