X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Strangers

Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman, alone at a country estate, are terrorized by three hooded strangers, and fight to survive.
    The film runs less than 90 minutes and though the violence doesn't really occur until near the end, it is brutal.
    I didn't like the ending, but I expect if it had really happened ( this is supposedly based on real events ) then this is the way it probably went down.

One thing is certian, this is one creepy movie.
    My Homepage!
  • june
    • Feb 2005

hello george,

did you rent the bluray or sd? what did is sound like? i heard it sounded just as good as the orphange. sometime i rent films just to hear how they sound because i love ambience not boom-boom.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

This was on Blu-ray and it was DTS 5.1 via my digital connection. The low frequency especially during the opening and at especially creepy moments was literally off the wall. This wasn't necessarily booming but just one intense LFE held constant over several moments. Thing is, I had to lower my usual volume setting for fear of damaging my Energy subs, and that then made it hard to hear the dialogue, which happens to to be near a whisper a good deal of the time.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Rented it tonight. Really enjoyed it, and it actually made me jump a few times. Few scenes I though were a little out there, but I let that go.

The sound when they were running around the metal building making noise was pretty intense.

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
        I didn't like the ending, but I expect if it had really happened ( this is supposedly based on real events ) then this is the way it probably went down.
        Based on a true story in the loosest form I have ever seen...

Originally posted by IMDB

Bryan Bertino credits the main inspiration of the film to the infamous Manson murders.

According to director Bryan Bertino the film is partially based on an incident that happened to him as a child. One evening a stranger came to his door and asked for someone who wasn't there. The stranger left, but later Bertino found out that other homes in his neighborhood had been broken into that night.
        Kevin D.

Comment

• saurabh
          • Feb 2005

Doesnt this sound like Identity with an exception of lesser number of people involved.
          Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

If you are talking about Identity with John Cusack then no, not even close to the same thing.

Kevin D.

Comment

• chrisn
              • Sep 2007

I saw this at a friends house. It is different than I was expecting it to be, which threw me off a little. Based on the opening, I thought it would be a more violent, slasher type of movie, which is is not. The "strangers" masks were pretty freaky, not what I would want to see peeking in my window It did seem, to me, a little out there.

Not too bad.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"