X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Most Memorable Moments in TV History

Thought I'd start a fun one regarding some of the tv moments most memorable to you. Some might be funny, some graphic and sad, some that are of historical significance (good or bad), and some that might have great meaning to some but are truly oblivious to others. This might be fun too for folks all over the world --- I am in the U.S. so I am clueless about some magical tv moments in say, Australia.

I'll get this started......

1. The Beatles appearing on the Ed Sullivan show.
    2. Watching John Kennedy Jr. salute his dead father's casket.
    3. Hank Aaron hitting his 715th home run.

This is a start. Hope you all will chime in.....

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

I'd have to say 911 was the most memorable moment for me. When man first set foot on the moon was another. There is many to choose from.

Comment

• Neal_C
      • Feb 2003

In my 27 years, I will have to say 9/11 has been my most memorable moment so far. Definitely something I will never forget. The loss of life was horrific, but it hit home even more for me with the loss of all the firefighters. My dad has been a firefighter for 30 years. To many times we take for granted the jobs these people do, but putting their lives on the line to save others, to save our pets, and sometimes just to save our property, should never be forgotten.

Live camera footage of bombs being dropped on Baghdad is pretty memorable as well.

Neal

Comment

• Frustrated
        • Jan 2005

911 was the most memorable, not just to Americans, but the world over. In Canada however, our most memorable TV moment IMHO was Paul Henderson scoring the winning goal against the Soviets in the 1972 summit series. I agree with DelRay there are many others. Unfortunately,the media turned it into Canada's most defining moment on the world stage. There is alot more to Canada than hockey. :M

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

9/11
          watching Neil Armstrong's first step on the moon
          watching the Columbia disintegrate right over our heads on its re-entry
          watching the Challenger explode during liftoff
          watching the rescuers pull Baby Jessica out of the well she'd been trapped in
          watching Jean Claude Killy's insane, magic final run on the downhill in the 1968 winter Olympics

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

As a resident of Red Sox Nation, the out made at 1st base to secure the Red Sox's World Series championship.
            ~Nick

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Not to pick on you nor be brutal to you Nicholas but the ball going through Bill Buckner's legs is a memorable, albeit painful, one. It's sad because Buckner was a very good ballplayer but so many people (too many) will only remember him for this --- total shame!
              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• H.Donald
                • Aug 2004

I don't remember whether I was home sick or if it was a Saturday...but I have a vivid recollection of laying in bed and watching Jack Ruby come out of the shadows and shoot JFK assassin :W Lee Harvey Oswald.Even as an 12 year old I could sense that this was an epic moment in American history.
                The OJ chase was another moment which captivated me.At first I was a litte peeved because the NBA championship was on and they broke in to show the chase...but soon I was caught up in the drama,as all of were.Many months later I remember running upstairs and banging my knee to watch the jury's verdict live :E
                As for sports there are many...but a couple...Boston College and Doug Flutie's hail Mary to beat Miami in the Orange bowl in 1984?
                Evander Holyfield kicking the snot out of Mike Tyson...unexpecting and rewarding.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Feb 2002

Tiananmen Square
                  Final episode of MASH
                  Challenger Explosion
                  Fall of the Berlin Wall
                  Tsunami Disaster
                  Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Nick M
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Dont forget the first time Mike Tyson was knocked out by Buster Douglas!
                    ~Nick

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

The most memorable moment for me was the first time I saw Elvis Presly appear on the Jackie Gleason show . I believe it was called The Show Of Shows and was in black and white, on my tv at least. From that moment on I was hooked on Elvis.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• H.Donald
                        • Aug 2004

Not many people saw the Tyson-Douglas fight live.That fight took place in Japan and might have been shown on tape delay in this country.So little was thought of Buster's chances that there was hardly any coverage and promotion in this country.At 50-1 odds it would have been an amazing thing to witness live.Holyfield was thought to be over the hill and I believe a 25-1 underdog.It shocked and pleased me,just about more than any other sporting event.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

9/11
                          Watching the SCUD rockets explode during the gulf war
                          Watching the Columbia disintegrate right over our heads on its re-entry
                          Watching the Challenger explode during liftoff
                          Watching Ben johnson win gold at the olypics...and then being stripped of the medal
                          Final episode of X-Files, Sienfeld, Friends
                          Watching Lanny McDonald finally get his chance to hoist the Stanley Cup
                          Watching Ray Bourque finally get his chance to hoist the Stanley Cup
                          Watching Canada win Olymic golds in both mens and ladies hockey

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

1) 9/11-most memorable, I remember where I was, the time, and how I felt emotionally.
                            2) JFK assasination-see number 1
                            3) Tsumani-recently saw a video from a video camera that was found and returned to the children of the parents, phenomenal.
                            4) Indiana vs Detroit Brawl-one of the ugliest displays of sports violence.
                            5) US vs. USSR Olympic Hockey game-1980-one of the moments that united the American people, as one.
                            6) Cal Ripken breaking the iron man record.

There are many more, but these immediately come to mind.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• GrahamT
                              • Oct 2004

For me it was 911, we were watching at school and just remember being totally perplexed. It was so hard to fathom. And when I was younger I was a big baseball fan and Joe Carter hit a home run against the Phillies to win the world series, I'll never forget that.

Comment

• Patt
                                • Feb 2005

As previously mentioned..

The live Bagdad bombings....9/11......

When the Space Shuttle Colombia blew apart, not knowing about it I walked into a supply house and about a dozen guy's were huddled around the little 12" tv in the corner. I sensed something was not right.

.................................................. ..................................................
                                Ladies Hockey....?

Man, I never heard of that. Having worked in a hospital and was around the Operating Room nurses I thought of them as a bunch of dainty tea sipping tender females. (wrong), After hearing a group of them chatting one day in the hallway cursing like a bunch of sailors I had since referred to them as "Pirates", in a good way of course. 8O
                                ......Pat

Comment

• New Yorker
                                  • Jun 2005

I saw a book in Waldenbooks the other day called something similar to the title of this thread and one of the pictures on the cover was the burning World Trade Center .... it made me sick.

For millions of people, 9/11 was not a "TV moment" and it wasn't a "TV moment" for me either. It wasn't a "TV moment" for my friends that died. They never had a chance to see it on TV. I hope you all think about that, real hard. It really should not be in the same category as the last episode of "Friends". THAT was a TV moment .... and it was filmed in Los Angeles, pretending to be in New York.

Food for thought.

Comment

• Glen B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by New Yorker
                                    I saw a book in Waldenbooks the other day called something similar to the title of this thread and one of the pictures on the cover was the burning World Trade Center .... it made me sick.

For millions of people, 9/11 was not a "TV moment" and it wasn't a "TV moment" for me either. It wasn't a "TV moment" for my friends that died. They never had a chance to see it on TV. I hope you all think about that, real hard. It really should not be in the same category as the last episode of "Friends". THAT was a TV moment .... and it was filmed in Los Angeles, pretending to be in New York.

Food for thought.
                                    Malan,
                                    I get what you're saying. I know at least one person who died on 9/11, a former co-worker who joined the Port Authority Police Dept. He was one of the heroes who responded to the call for assistance on that day and never made it out. I know persons who lost loved ones on that day. For years I have gone past WTC every morning on my commute to work and continue to do so today.

To go by the site during the early days after the terrorist attack, personally see the devastation, smell that awful smoke and see the trucks carting away the twisted metal and debris is something TV cannot fully convey. However, for those across the country and the World, the horror of seeing the burning World Trade Center on TV is their only frame of reference and I do understand and respect that.

Glen
                                    Last edited by Glen B; 16 June 2005, 12:53 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"