X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

HOW THE WEST WAS WON on Blu

Got my copy yesterday. What a neat package. It has a booklet stitched right between the case covers that is really informative. It also has two discs. One is the Cinerama 2:89 ( holy shit ) aspect ratio transferred for flat screens and without those annoying vertical lines where the panels match. Disc two, same ratio, is what they call a smilebox version that simulates the curved screen that was used for Cinerama. I haven't watch either disc as yet but I am curious how the smilebox version will look, though I expect it would look much better for those who use curved screens in their theaters.

Goodbye old 2:35 dvd with the vertical lines and distortion.
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

From what I've read (there is an extensive discussion over at HTF), the smilebox version does not need a curved screen (it's not really meant to be shown on one, IIRC). While some don't like it, most seem to (I look forward to the arrival of my copy) and the bigger the screen, the better the effect. Enjoy (and I await your review and stated preference).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

My screen is 92 " wide so the smilebox may look okay. One person said it made him nauseous until he moved his viewing position closer to the screen and then he said he felt the experience was much more involving than the normal widescreen version. It's a long movie so I may not get around to watching it until the weekend.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
        • Nov 2003

I had read about the studio releasing how the west was won in its curved shape awhile back or so,thats great.

I think i am going to rent this movie.
        Robert

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I didn't have time to watch the whole movie but I wanted to see what the smilebox version looked like. The first thing I had to do was remove my 2:35 masking as the sides are higher than the middle. I found it rather strange looking and distracting at first but after a couple of minutes I got used to it. However, when I decide to watch the entire film I think I'll just stick to the normal widescreen version.

Oh, and all I can say about the transfer is WOW !
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

My copy arrived in the mail this morning. While I don't have time today to watch the whole movie, I will check it out in each format. Looking forward to it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I've owned this in just about every format starting with vhs tape, but I don't ever recall it looking this good, even when I saw it in the theater back in the early 60s. The scenery is breathtaking.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Just took a short peek at the smilebox version and it looks great. That's how I will watch it first (I've never seen it, so I look forward to it). I will, of course, look at the other version as it contains a commentary that is said to be quite insightful. But I suspect I will be watching this more in smilebox than not.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I just thought the smilebox version look a little wierd and would distract me from the movie. I'll watch it sometime in its entirity, but I hope to watch the normal widescreen version tonight.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"