how many people got the finger from Netflix today?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • draganm
    • Jul 2005

how many people got the finger from Netflix today?

I just got this today from Netflix, my movie rental place. I will be telling them where to shove it just as soon as they carry out this policy. What about the rest of you guys, you gonna just let it slide or look for a format nuetral place to rent?

Dear Dragan,
    You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team
    I'm dumping Netflix,I hate having BD shoved down my throat
    10.00%
    I don't like it but i'm am ready for one format to win, i'm staying with Netflix
    60.00%
    I've always been a Sony fan-boy, GO BLUE RAY
    30.00%

The poll is expired.

• John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I am disappointed with this choice by Netflix, however, I will not lose sleep over it. I planned to get a blu-ray player anyway. It just will probably force my hand a little sooner than I planned.

At least they were nice enough to warn us. :P I'm more concerned when the sale of their HD-DVD's will start! :T
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

Meh... I have always been behind BR... SO this is no big thing to me...
      -Joe

Comment

• littlesaint
        • Jul 2007

Disappointing, but expected. It's hard to invest in a format that keeps taking punches. They are in business to make money afterall, and that's hard enough supporting one HD format let alone two. I'll keep my account for Blu-ray and DVD unless I can find something better.

Anyone know of another online source to rent HD-DVDs?
        Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Well, I think this was bound to happen to some side in the format wars, sooner or later. It may be a bit premature now, but so be it. I don't think ANY store or rental service is going to be able to remain "format neutral" forever. That'd be like going to Target and being pissed off because they don't carry Betamax.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

There was a quote in the Reuters article from a Netflix exec that they aren't seeing a lot of renting in the HD formats compared to DVD anyway, which depending on their licensing, could mean they are losing money on HD formats. Sort of makes it a no brainer to cut lose the one that moves less volume.

However along those same lines, I don't see a profit incentive for HD-DVD studios to switch either. If there isn't that much more money to be made by switching to Blu-ray, why make the investment.
            Santino

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yeah, I got it. I've been a BR-backer from the start, but broke down and bought an HD-DVD player on one of Amazon's specials. I've only collected about 18 titles so far, so no great loss.

Although it would have been nice to have a better selection of BR players that are Final Standard Profile, and less than $1,000. I'd like Pioneer to get their FSP units out but I understand a switch to a new (Realta?) chipset pushed that timeline back a while.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• gc8ej25
                • Nov 2007

There are talks of Netflix raising HD rental prices aka when BD wins, we're going to stick it to you.

Also, Best Buy is now pushing BD.

Timeline of events:

01/04/08: Warner goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/05/08: New Line goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/09/08: Adam & Eve goes neutral
                01/10/08: HBO goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/11/08: Constantin Film goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/16/08: Senator Entertainment goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/21/08: Eagle Rock goes neutral
                01/21/08: RBFilms goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/22/08: Grant's Appliances goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/24/08: Topics goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/28/08: Woolworths goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/28/08: FS Films goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/30/08: Sonic Scenarist Goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/30/08: EMI Japan Goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/30/08: National Geographic Goes Blu-ray exclusive
                01/31/08: Surround Records goes neutral
                02/01/08: ADV Goes Blu-ray
                02/04/08: Manga Films Goes Blu-ray Exclusive
                02/04/08: German Distributor Highlight Video Blu-ray Exclusive
                02/04/08: French Distributor BAC Films Joins the Blu-ray Trend
                02/06/08: Kaleidescape announces Blu-ray Support (No current HD DVD plans)
                02/07/08: Swedish film companies SF and Scanbox go Blu-ray Exclusive
                02/07/08: Spanish distributor Filmax goes Blu-ray Exclusive
                02/10/08: Netflix announces they will go Blu-ray exclusive
                02/11/08: Best Buy announces they will recommend Blu-ray to consumers

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Well, I don't have an HD DVD player and I don't use Netflix so it doesn't affect me one way or the other.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• draganm
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by John Holmes
                    At least they were nice enough to warn us. :P I'm more concerned when the sale of their HD-DVD's will start! :T
                    they are not selling their HD's to customers, they will be selling them "internally" (whatever that means) or to otuside vendors. However BB is having a buy one get one free speacial this week if you really want to pick some up.

Originally posted by littlesaint
                    Anyone know of another online source to rent HD-DVDs?
                    Blockbuster has HD-DVD's with their online service, but not in their stores due to some deal with Sony. I will be switching today.

There was a quote in the Reuters article from a Netflix exec that they aren't seeing a lot of renting in the HD formats compared to DVD anyway, which depending on their licensing, could mean they are losing money on HD formats. Sort of makes it a no brainer to cut lose the one that moves less volume.
                    That is a <edited for content by Admin> lie. I have Bourne Ultimatum in the number 1 spot in my Q for 3 months now. If no one is renting them then why is there always a Long wait or VERY LONG wait on every new HD title they get? IF there's one thing that disgusts me more than anything else is being lied to. I'm sick if it, both from the government and from corporations. At least with corporations I have a voice, i'm shit-canning Netflix today.

Originally posted by David Meek
                    Yeah, I got it. I've been a BR-backer from the start, but broke down and bought an HD-DVD player on one of Amazon's specials. I've only collected about 18 titles so far, so no great loss.
                    you own both, and can you honestly say that the HD player (that cost half as much) with on-line support/connectivity and better user interface isn't a superior product?

Originally posted by gc8ej25
                    There are talks of Netflix raising HD rental prices aka when BD wins, we're going to stick it to you.
                    that's just the tip of the iceberg. Anytime there is a monopoly the end usuer/consumer will be grabbing their ankles. If Sony does outright win this war we will the ones taking it up the Wazoo. right now you can get a nice HD player with 7 free movies for $150. You will not see that from sony's Blue Ray player for years.

Comment

• littlesaint
                      • Jul 2007

This is just the nature of business. The better/cheaper product doesn't always win, and that's a risk of early adoption. Though Blu-ray is pretty much on par with HD-DVD right now with the exception of player cost, and if you prefer HDi over BD-J for interactive stuff. Player costs are skewed because the BDA folks are keeping margins high to maximize profits until real competition starts. Though I don't doubt Sony is dictating prices as the PS3 is always the low bar there. Toshiba's prices are artificially low because they are struggling to keep market share. Don't know if I agree on your monopoly theory. Toshiba would be far more a monopoly on the HD-DVD side than Sony for Blu-ray. I also doubt Netflix can employ higher pricing with competition from BB, and the long waits are more a lack of inventory than high demand especially when compared to DVD rentals. Blu-ray prices will drop if there is an established market. It's just not there right now because most consumers aren't interested. Niche markets ain't cheap
                      Santino

Comment

• draganm
                        • Jul 2005

This is just the nature of business. The better/cheaper product doesn't always win, and that's a risk of early adoption.
                        I didn't take a risk, the local HT club got me an HD-A3 on my 40t B-day. IT cost them $98. at wal-fart and it came with 5 free movies. I really love this little player and it kicked the crap out of my HTPC. I also got to choose some really good movies too, not junk.

Anway, I have been pissed for 2 days and it's time to turn negative into positive. I just canceled Netflix and signed up with Blockbuster and I think I'm going to like it better. For only 2 bucks a month more I still get 3 movies at a time and I can exchange up to 5 movies at the local store in case we need a movie that night :T .
                        Bourne Ultimatum shows "short wait" in HD, something I have been waiting for 3 MONTHS from fuXXn netflix. Also, all the HD-DVD tiltes are easy to browse through. I found titles I didn't even know existed because Netdix does a pretty good job of hiding new movies. So to Netflix I say, you guys had a great idea and it was fun ride but you were a victim of your own success. I will now wave goodbye with my middle finger :lol:
                        If the rest of you really want to make a statement about how you feel RE. HD vs, BD, this is a pretty good way of actually registering on the corporate cash-radar so to speak. It took me about 40 minutes to fill out the registration and transfer movies in my Q from Netflix to Blockbuster on line but I feel really good about it.

Comment

• Dmantis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2004

It's all good to me. I'm tired of format wars. I'm cool with Blu winning. I would have been cool with HD winning 2. I own both .

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

FWIW, I moved most of the HD-DVD's in my Netflix queue up to the top, so I can see them while they're still available. (I think it will be several months at least, until the Warner HD-DVD's are re-released on BD) So I have Shrek the Third coming tomorrow.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dmantis
                              It's all good to me. I'm tired of format wars. I'm cool with Blu winning. I would have been cool with HD winning 2. I own both .
                              I'm in the same boat, but as long as Paramount and Universal are not releasing Blu-ray, it still sucks.

I talked to someone from Blockbuster yesterday, and as of right now, they will continue to offer HD-DVDs by mail as long as Universal and Paramount are releasing them. This doesn't mean they won't make the same change, but it looks like I'll be switching at the end of the month. It's $1 cheaper for what I use anyway, so it's a no-brainer for me.
                              Santino

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                                • Aug 2001

I've been finding my wait times getting longer and longer, anyway, and it seems they've been letting HD kinda trail off. Not a big deal, and since I'm currently watching on a 32" CRT (haven't set up the HT/projector since we moved), it hardly matters if I get the HD versions.
                                I signed up for another blockbuster free trial, there's one pretty close and the in-store exchanges are convenient.

Comment

• draganm
                                  • Jul 2005

I don't want to sound like some blockbuster fan-boy, I hated them for their old Nazi late fee policy. IT's just that at this point I'm going to choose the company that is going to disrespect me the least.
                                  Also, I am a hopeless optimist when it comes to these types of conflicts. I hope toshiba/MS still have an ACE up their sleeve? Doesn't seem likely but you never know.

Comment

• saurabh
                                    • Feb 2005

END of FORMAT WAR

The WAR has ended, going forward either watch your favourite movie in Blu ray format or settle down with the basic DVD, period.

TOKYO - Toshiba said Tuesday it will no longer develop, make or market HD DVD players and recorders, handing a victory to rival Blu-ray disc technology in the format battle for next-generation video.

"We concluded that a swift decision would be best," Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida told reporters at his company's Tokyo offices.
                                    Read the full article here

MODS: This thread can be closed now.
                                    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• littlesaint
                                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by saurabh
                                      The WAR has ended, going forward either watch your favourite movie in Blu ray format or settle down with the basic DVD, period.
                                      Actually, while Toshiba has bowed out, there hasn't been any announcement from Paramount or Universal affirming a commitment to Blu-ray, so watching your favorite movie on Blu-ray isn't exactly universal (no pun intended) yet.
                                      My rental of American Gangster on HD-DVD shipped today. There's going to be some time before HD-DVD inventories are phased out completely.

Thanks for the info though. :T
                                      Santino

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Yeah, I just finished Shrek the Third (ehhh... it was okay) and have Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift coming today. Trying to blaze my way through HD-DVD rentals while they're still available.
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• saurabh
                                          • Feb 2005

They will gradually phase out, toshiba will stop production of the players/ equipment and the demand-supply will kill the HD-DVD media too.

Actually, while Toshiba has bowed out, there hasn't been any announcement from Paramount or Universal affirming a commitment to Blu-ray, so watching your favorite movie on Blu-ray isn't exactly universal (no pun intended) yet.
                                          My rental of American Gangster on HD-DVD shipped today. There's going to be some time before HD-DVD inventories are phased out completely.

Thanks for the info though. :T
                                          Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                                            • Aug 2001

Originally posted by saurabh
                                            They will gradually phase out, toshiba will stop production of the players/ equipment and the demand-supply will kill the HD-DVD media too.
                                            Followed, eventually, by the death of the sun. Happens with all consumer electronics. 8)

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"