• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

DEAD MAN has life

So George, have you seen this one yet?
    I know you like Westerns, but this one is quite different. Almost like a ‘film noire’ / surrealistic version. The entire musical score is a lone blues kind of style electric guitar with a ton of distortion effects dialed in, but still somehow fits with the whole mood of the film. It is actually in B&W, but five minutes into the film you don’t even notice, and after watching it, you will swear you saw red blood. The violence is in depicted in a very real and sobering fashion.

I absolutely loved this flick and highly recommend it, but my personal tastes have been described as a ‘bit’ warped by many others. So consider yourself warned!

Oh, and TON of cameos in this one, too. Iggy Pop, Gabriel Byrne, John Hurt, and Robert Mitchum in one of his last roles
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sounds interesting. It's in my Netflix queue now. Thanks WK.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

8000 posts, David!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

How can you find time to watch any movies?!?!?!?!?
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna

Hi, Bill. Yes, I have had it in my collection for a couple of years now. I may have posted something on this way back, but maybe not because as you said, it is a western on the " different " side of things. And chooosing black and white was certianly right for this western with its noireish leanings. Now that you have mentioned it, I think I will give it another spin tonight. This was Johnny Depp in his pre-Jack Sparrow days and I do hope he goes back to this sort of thing.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Well, as you may have noticed :W , I tend to watch a lot independent films, and Depp is one my favorite actors. He has a vast repertoire of 'indi' films in his portfolio that many who like his mainstream Hollywood stuff are probably not aware of.

I think of him as our generation's Vincent Price. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe he spent a fair amount of time with Price, in sort of a mentoring type relationship like the one John Travolta had with James Cagney.
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

8000 posts, David!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

How can you find time to watch any movies?!?!?!?!?
            Oh, it's a challenge. :yesnod:

Especially with the "silly season" upon us here on Orcas Island. It's summer and every builder, home owner, handy man and well, you name it, has come out of the woodwork to get their outdoor projects all done before the cold and wet weather returns. 55-60 hour weeks are the norm right now, and with my own projects to take care of, forum- movie- and TV-time is pretty minimal right now. I still squeeze a film or two a week in, though. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• brendon
              • Aug 2004

I know you like Westerns, but this one is quite different. Almost like a ‘film noire’ / surrealistic version. The entire musical score is a lone blues kind of style electric guitar with a ton of distortion effects dialed in, but still somehow fits with the whole mood of the film. It is actually in B&W, but five minutes into the film you don’t even notice, and after watching it, you will swear you saw red blood. The violence is in depicted in a very real and sobering fashion.

I absolutely loved this flick and highly recommend it, but my personal tastes have been described as a ‘bit’ warped by many others. So consider yourself warned!

Oh, and TON of cameos in this one, too. Iggy Pop, Gabriel Byrne, John Hurt, and Robert Mitchum in one of his last roles

Hi Guys
              Neil Young provided the sound track for this film .
              I have owned the cd of the sound track for quiet a few years but only listened to it a few times.
              I definately agree that its off beat although Depp has done a few of this stlye such as Edward Scissor Hands.
              Certainly worth a look on 1 dollar night at the video store.
              Brendon

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by brendon
                Hi Guys
                Neil Young provided the sound track for this film .
                I had no idea, it was a Netflix rental, and they don't come with the hard case that has all the details. I never did a search, or watched the credits after the film, but I should have recognized N.Y.'s style right away! No wonder I liked the soundtrack so much!
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"