Breach not a high octane spy thriller but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Breach not a high octane spy thriller but...

...I'm glad I rented it.

It stars Chris Cooper as real life FBI agent Robert Hanssen, who for close to 25 years, leaked secrets to the Russians. The bureau suspects he is a mole and enlists the aid of Eric O'Neill ( Ryan Phillippe ) a computer smart surveillance expert looking to be a full agent. O'Neill is appointed personal assistant to Hanssen ( who by now has been demoted to a mundane desk job ) and thus begins a covert operation to bring down the mole.

This is not a bang bang spy thriller, that's for sure. It is slow moving at times but I found myself immersed within the drama, thanks, no doubt, to a superb performance by Chris Cooper and a very subtle performance by Phillippe. This is a character study of two men, one good and one bad, and though it is a true story and you know how it ends, I still found myself hanging on to the arms of my chair right to the conclusion. And I should also mention Laura Linney, who plays Phillippe's contact. Her part is small but she comes across as real as life.

If you like character-driven films, you will definitely like this. And in my humble opinion, Cooper's performance is the stuff Oscars are made of.

:4:
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Chris Cooper is one of my favourite actors and he is highly underrated, in my opinion. I saw this at the video store last night but the only reason I didn't pick it up was because it was only a 1 day rental. With two kids and a somewhat hectic schedule, I only rent new releases once they're available for 7 day rentals (usually 2-5 weeks, depending on the film, after the release date). It's on my short list. Glad to hear it was good (and I happen to love character-driven movies--even in genres where "action" is the primary attraction, good character development will often make or break a movie for me).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I'd bet donuts to dollars that you're gonna love this one, Ovation. :T
      My Homepage!

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
        • May 2004

Saw it last night, not bad, not great. Cooper is great as usual with a nice showing by RP. I think that Cooper's best performance to date was in Adaptation, just incredible. I have to compare all his other work to that and it comes up short.
        Steel

Comment

• Pookie007
          • Apr 2006

We rented and watched it this weekend. I thought it was pretty good. I never expected it to be a fast action James Bond type movie. My guide for the quality of a DVD is how may times I check the time on the disc. I never did with this one, so it gets my seal of approval.

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

That used to be my guide as well, until the children arrived. Now, it's a gauge--how late do I have to stay up? I still use the time check as a quality measure on occasion, but practical considerations do enter into it at times.

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Just watched this earlier tonight--very well done, IMO. Cooper is excellent. Will probably go into my collection (I teach a course on The History of the 20th Century and the Cold War figures prominently in the course--my research interest is in historical feature films, so the two things will dovetail nicely).

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I watched the HD-DVD version.

I thought the PQ was very good. Even with the directors muted intention added. The DD+ SQ was very clean. Clear dialog, and punchy when called for (though there weren't many times it needed to be punchy).

Overall, I really enjoyed this film. I thought the actors brought the emotion of this sensitive issue to the screen. And as George stated, even knowing the outcome, I was still glued to my seat till the end.

Funny thing for me though, I was a liitle miffed about the time used in the begining to build character. But, after the film got moving, I couldn't see any other way to appreciate the players positions involved.

I have no problem giving this film a big thumbs up! :T
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"