X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Smokin' Aces smokes alright...

It's sort of like Crank, an action film on steroids. All kinds of stars, including Ray Liotta, Ben Afleck, Andy Garcia, Ryan Reynolds, Jeremy Piven, Jason Bateman and a really hot Alicia Keys.

Buddy Israel ( Piven ), a Las Vegas magician with close contacts to the mob, is going to sing like a canary and a contract is put out on him. So get ready for the most diverse and sometimes odd bunch of contract hitters ever to make it to the silver screen. But pay close attention, because all is not necessarily what it seems, and don't take bets on who will make it to the end of the film alive.

Very stark and contrasty image with lots of powerful low end in the audio. Not for the squeamish. And if you like this type of film, you may want to buy it because you will definitely want to watch it again for plot reasons. It's just under 2 hours and it moves with lightning speed.

:35:
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Got 'er in my Netflix queue, Sir George. Looks like it could be a lot of fun - especially if you plant tongue firmly in cheek.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Do you have to plant it in your own cheek? (definitely some movies out there that are better suited for that OTHER activity)
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I enjoyed this movie, yes 2 hrs long but moved through very quick. 4 starts.
        B&W

Comment

• Bmac
          • Aug 2006

It's was fun, but the plot was last minute. I felt like a bunch of friends wanted to get together, and accidentlly made a movie. The shooting starts and you have no plot advance, and then it stops and the plot starts. The killings are fun, the jokes are funny, and Alicia Keys is hot.
          Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• gross30
            • Jun 2005

Enjoyed it throughout. Lots of twists and turns. Great pic, not for kids though.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

The HD-DVD bubbas showed this in HD last week in the conferences. Looked good, but MAN, there was some waaaaayyyyyyyyyyy overboard violence!

There were some cool extras, they showed, too, like in interactivity, you can track the assassins throughout the film. The assassins show up on Google Earth as GPS dots around the globe, and when they are in the same building, you can see the dots on a 3d model of the building. Another gimmicky thing, but kinda cool.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

It was fun. Lots of action, silliness, violence and four (that I counted) plot twists, one of which was telegraphed. :3: out of :5:

Don't you think the people in the rooms near the one assassin shooting the Barrett 50 cal. sniper rifle would have noticed and reported it on, say, the first or second shot? :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
                  It was fun. Lots of action, silliness, violence and four (that I counted) plot twists, one of which was telegraphed. :3: out of :5:

Don't you think the people in the rooms near the one assassin shooting the Barrett 50 cal. sniper rifle would have noticed and reported it on, say, the first or second shot? :B
                  I just watched this also. I agree with the masses, pretty cool film.

David,
                  Yes I agree with you (reference spoiler)! :rofl:
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• wkhanna
                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Saw it this weekend.
                    For the genre, I liked it.
                    Well worth the rental and time.
                    I didn't look at any of extra stuff, nearly never do.
                    Might be worth a by form the used bin for just the 50 cal scenes.
                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Saw this one a couple weeks ago. Thought it was so-so. Definitely gratuitous violence for guys that are just into that stuff.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

I liked this one a lot. Saw it long time ago bought it on HD-DVD and the quality on HD is excellent!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"