X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

THE GREY misses the mark just a bit

Liam Neeson stars in this survival film that also tries to operate on another level dealing with life, death and belief in God. It should have stuck to the survival theme, even though the fact that a pack of evil looking wolves are the antagonists here. Let's face it, attacks on humans by wolves in North America is pretty rare. In fact I could only find two reported cases. Still, that didn't stop me from enjoying the survival of man against beast and the environment aspect of the story. It was when the director ( Joe Carnahan: Smokin' Aces, The A-Team ) decided to explore life, death and religion. That sort of theme is best left to a more poetic filmmaker like Terrence Malick. Take out the sub theme and stick with the survival element and the movie would have been about 30 minutes short of its near two hour length and much more enjoyable. But all that aside, Liam Neeson is a fine actor and does a good job here so I do recommend a watch.
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Also notable as, supposedly, Neeson's final role as a major action character. He's said that various injuries have caught up to him and he wants to take on less physically intense roles in the future. Doesn't mean he won't ever through a punch again, but he's unlikely to do the Stallone thing.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

He really puts himself through a lot in The Grey, Paul. There are difficult scenes where you can clearly see it is him and not a double. He's not getting any younger so he has likely made a good decision to avoid action roles.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I personally loved the film and liked the whole life, death and belief in God aspect of it. I think when you are faced with the tribulations and probable death that these gentlemen were facing, we would think of and face those aspects of life too.

I watched this on BD a few weeks ago and it has stuck with me to this day. I think about it a lot and think that Liam did a fabulous job dispite the recent death of his wife at the time!.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by madmac
          Liam did a fabulous job dispite the recent death of his wife at the time!.
          I'm sure it helped him lend a lot of credibility to the role.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
            I'm sure it helped him lend a lot of credibility to the role.

True!. His wife died after a fall skiing here in Quebec at Mt. Tremblant. Sad.....
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"