X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Holiday

If you liked What Women Want and Something's Gotta Give, you'll also like The Holiday because all titles mentioned were directed by Nancy Meyers.

The Holiday is a romantic drama ( with a few chuckles) that stars a trimmed down Kate Winslet, a vibrant Cameron Diaz, a sympathetic Jude Law and a subdued Jack Black. Both Kate and Cameron have a disasterous love life. Cameron lives in LA and Kate in England. They both need to get away and Cameron discovers Kate's house for rent on the internet. Actually it's a switch of houses for two weeks. So Kate goes to LA and Cameron to England and the switch brings about a resounding change in their lives, thanks to Jude in England and Jack in LA.

This got mixed reviews from the critics. Some felt the story was weak, but I actually felt it worked, perhaps because of the actors involved. It runs a little over 2 hours but I felt it moved along nicely and recommend it to those who want to watch something both you and your significant other can enjoy together. It's not four star material and many would not want to watch it a second time once they know the ending, but it is a worthwhile rental.

NOTE: The great Eli Wallach also has a part in this film and when he is on camera he owns the film.
    My Homepage!
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

It was a cute movie. Definitely something to watch only with your significant other. I like that Jack Black wasn't his usually cheesy Jack Black. It's worth the rental.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• DelRay
      • Jun 2004

The wife and I both liked this one. I thought that Eli Wallach looked pretty good for his age. I like the Wallach line from "The good, the bad and the ugly." (Don't die blondie) My fav spaghetti western.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

A subdued Jack Black? Okay, that makes it worth a Netflix queue spot by itself. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
          A subdued Jack Black? Okay, that makes it worth a Netflix queue spot by itself. :T
          Yeah, I actually never liked his film work in the past but I have to say he was quite good in this film. A truly different Jack Black.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• WillyD
            • Feb 2006

Just saw this the other day off Netflix, and I agree with you George. I didn't have high hopes but I thought this movie was a-ok. And yes, Eli Wallach was great!

Comment

• saurabh
              • Feb 2005

Saw it yesterday and liked it to the core, I guess the third such movie after "Love actually", "Notting hill"
              Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

The wife and I watched it this past weekend. She loved it. I missed an opportunity for an hour and a half of sleep.

Black was mildly entertaining and ‘real’. Eli Wallach’s work was the only thing that made it worthy of release.

One and maybe a half stars, three if you’re on a date.

Hey, all IMHO!
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

:lol:
                  Originally posted by wkhanna
                  The wife and I watched it this past weekend. She loved it. I missed an opportunity for an hour and a half of sleep.

Black was mildly entertaining and ‘real’. Eli Wallach’s work was the only thing that made it worthy of release.

One and maybe a half stars, three if you’re on a date.

Hey, all IMHO!
                  Oh, you'll soften up to these kinds of films when you get a little older. I did. :lol:
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"