X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Nacho Libre ????????

????? or in other words, why the hell did I rent this ? I don't even like Jack Black. Curiosity, I guess.

Anyway, Jack is a monk in a Mexican orphanage monastery, where he has lived most of his entire life. He is the cook and would like to serve better food than slop, and buy a bus so he can take the kids on day trips. The answer lies in his secret desire to become a championship wrestler. He does this and the outcome is predictable.
    Now this is supposed to be a comedy but it didn't even get a chuckle out of me. In fact, the whole thing ( starring a bunch of Mexican actors I had never heard of or seen before ) seemed like an awful waste of film. Really this dvd is for hardcore Jack Black fans only. Others beware.

:05:
    My Homepage!
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
    ????? or in other words, why the hell did I rent this ? I don't even like Jack Black. Curiosity, I guess.

Anyway, Jack is a monk in a Mexican orphanage monastery, where he has lived most of his entire life. He is the cook and would like to serve better food than slop, and buy a bus so he can take the kids on day trips. The answer lies in his secret desire to become a championship wrestler. He does this and the outcome is predictable.
    Now this is supposed to be a comedy but it didn't even get a chuckle out of me. In fact, the whole thing ( starring a bunch of Mexican actors I had never heard of or seen before ) seemed like an awful waste of film. Really this dvd is for hardcore Jack Black fans only. Others beware.

:05:
    Hahaha, sorry for your dissapointment. You took the words out of my mouth, "I dont even like Jack Black". :lol: Him and Will Farrell are too much for me. I passed on this one.
    B&W

Comment

• H.Donald
      • Aug 2004

I wish I had read this before I rented it.....

I had a coupon,rent one...get another free...so I picked this up,and still feel ripped off...I can't get my 90 minutes back.

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Well now, I have a slightly different opinion about this movie. I quite enjoyed it.

There's not much of a plot - hapless fat guy turns mexican wrestler - with plenty of 'teenage male' humor to boot.

However, I found some of scenes to be quite whimsical - given there surreal presentation and 'freakery' of some scenes and scenery. Hairy ferocious midgets and a wild, feral like 'street urchin' sping to mind.

The move was directed by Jared Hess - Napoleon Dynamite(which I really enjoyed) - and was evidenced by the similar cinematic trickery and tone seen in that movie.

Ultimatly though, it's a one trick pony and that pony is Jack Black. If you don't like him avoid and if you do you might enjoy it.

I should also admit that I did get naughty thoughts about the Nun, played by Ana de la Reguera. I can assure you, growing up in Ireland, Nuns were certainly not the kind of people one had naughty thoughts about!
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"