X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Proof

" A devoted daughter (Gwyneth Paltrow) comes to terms with the death of her father (Anthony Hopkins), a brilliant mathematician whose genius was crippled by mental instability. Along the way, she's forced to her own dark fears. But she has help from one ofher father's former students (Jake Gyllenhaal), who searches through the dead man's notebooks in hope of discovering the key to his brilliance. John Madden Directs"

This is without a doubt, one of the best movies I have every experienced. For a dialogue driven film, I found myself hanging on every word of each scene. Gwyneth gives (IMO) the best performance of her career. I really felt the pain of her situation. Of Course, Sir Hopkins is solid but, is more a support character in this one. All the supporting cast was excellent in this movie.

If you've been on the fence about this one, my suggestion is see it. Hopefully you will get all the enjoyment from it that I have.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I saw this awhile back. It, along with many others I have viewed in my HT, didn't make it to a post here because it was of a type and style that few members here seem interested in. I really enjoyed it, John, and am glad you posted a little review on it.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Excellent suggestion John. I'd seen the trailers for this and thought it had promise, but it never made it to our island cinema and I forgot about it. Thanks for the memory-jog. It's in the queue now.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

George,

I too was shocked when I did a search that, noone had reviewed it. But I understand your reservations in doing so. It does appear that people are a little more interested in the action/sci-fi/horror films than the other genres. While to each his own, balance is the key to a long and enjoyable life. :W

David,

Always glad to help out. Orcas is a beautiful place to live, but you are a little cut off from the mainstream (by design of course :T ). I hope you enjoy the film as much as I.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by John Holmes
          George,

I too was shocked when I did a search that, noone had reviewed it. But I understand your reservations in doing so. It does appear that people are a little more interested in the action/sci-fi/horror films than the other genres.
          Yes, but I still post a few independent films here that I hope people will watch. I posted a good one a few days ago entitled Down In The Valley. A top notch film with great acting. It does have some action and violence so maybe some here will see it.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Yes, I really enjoyed this. (I hope this doesn't sound conceited) I really can relate to movies like this and others that are centered around a person of above-average intelligence that has problems fitting in--Little Man Tate, A Beautiful Mind, Good Will Hunting, etc. I majored in math as well. I am one of those that believes that genius is not far removed from insanity.

For "Proof" particuarly, I very much enjoyed it. Not my favorite, but very good, I thought. I have "Pi" coming to me from Netflix right now as my next movie as well.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
              For "Proof" particuarly, I very much enjoyed it. Not my favorite, but very good, I thought. I have "Pi" coming to me from Netflix right now as my next movie as well.
              The movie "Pi" popped in my head before I read to the bottom of your post. An excellent movie. Lots of math with a bit of metaphysics and spirituallity. All in b&w. It should be up your ally.
              Steel
              Last edited by Chris D; 13 November 2016, 17:00 Sunday.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Awesome... now, just to wait the 2-3 weeks that it currently takes for mail to be delivered to us while we're here in combat... :roll:
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                  Awesome... now, just to wait the 2-3 weeks that it currently takes for mail to be delivered to us while we're here in combat... :roll:

Be safe.
                  Last edited by Chris D; 13 November 2016, 17:01 Sunday.

Comment

• Blindamood
                    • Sep 2003

Watched this one last evening. While I love Gwyneth, and I think that she performed very well in this movie, I don't think I liked it as much as others here. While it was entertaining for an hour and a half, parts of it were a little annoying. For example, the sister trying to drag her sister back to NY...did she actually leave after Gwyneth bolted? Also, can a skilled mathmetician really glance at a couple of pages for 5 seconds and realize the piece has historic significance? A little far-fetched IMO.

Got my wife to stay awake the whole time, however, which is a positive. She just doesn't seem to appreciate the type of movies I normally watch...you know, the kind that exercise the sub on a regular basis. :W
                    Brad

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Oh, ouch... I got "Pi" in the mail and watched it. Not going to dedicate a separate thread to it, but I did NOT like it. It was a "Requiem for a Dream" meets "Clerks" meets... I don't even know what kind of movie. Yes, there were mathematical allegories in there for mental states of mind, life, knowledge, God, etc. Moderately interesting. But I just felt that it lacked an actual presentable picture of genius and mental instabilty, as well as a real plot, not just sequential events.

I only gave it :2:. Really too bad, I usually like stuff like that.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• dynamowhum
                        • Aug 2006

I saw Pi a couple years back I think on very late night TV. I found it pretty strange. Like you Chris I found it mildly entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"