X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theMaximus
    • Jul 2004

V for Vendetta

Does anyone know the difference between just a wide screen edition and a two-disc special edition? I wonder if the special edition only has extras like behind the scene and commentaries or have better SQ feature such as DTS and so forth.

I have been looking forward to this release and wonder if the special edition is worth the premium.

I guess I'll rent the regular version first and decide later which version to buy.
    Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Is today the release date?!
    B&W

Comment

• theMaximus
      • Jul 2004

Yes it was released today in the U.S.

Instead of renting, I went down to my local Best Buy and compared the two because I knew I would ending up buying one or the other. I ended up getting just the regular edition since the special edition just had more extras on second disc instead of having different aspect ratio or DTS tracks. I'm getting ready to watch it now.
      Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Currently watching it. This movie is so good! I will post again later when I finish watching it.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Well, I was too sleepy to dial into the internet (yes, currently using dial-up since I'm in the middle of a move). Definitely worth the time and cost. I only watched it on my tv and dvd player, but I can't wait to move and watch it with my full setup. Btw, for those that want a dark movie to test their HDTVs, buy this movie. Definitely a lot of complex dark scene... but I have a very nice Sony RPTV... I don't have issues with blacks. he he

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I plan on getting this.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Watched this one last night, excellent movie, with intense intellectual dialogue, political turmoil, and excellent PQ and SQ. I'm going to purchase this one, because I need to watch it again, to determine what I missed.

4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Peace and Blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Azeke
                Watched this one last night, excellent movie, with intense intellectual dialogue
                Yes, it had a lot of words that I actually had to go look up!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Yeah, I watched this last week. LOTS to say on the movie, but I'd have to be careful. Overall, I liked it, and love the way that the Wachowskis ASK questions in their movies, making you think. I'll be buying this one.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Great movie, just finished it.
                    Sq and PQ was great. Alot to think about, agent Smith was great.. :lol:

I cant believe no one commented on the best part of the movie!! Seeing Ms Portman SHAVED!

B&W

Comment

• H.Donald
                      • Aug 2004

I will echo all they above comments.And yes,very thought provoking....

Comment

• audioqueso
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                        Alot to think about, agent Smith was great.. :lol:
                        Was that the guy who played Agent Smith? It sounded like him a lot, but I didn't look it up to see if it was.

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Yes, he was not planned to play "V", but due to casting issues stepped in at the last minute and took the role.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Yup, parts of the movie had the other actor in it (forgot his name) and they were able to just dub his voice in, pretty easy with the mask.
                            B&W

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

I really enjoyed this movie. Nice to have movies that make you think rather than just try to bowl you over with special effects and choreography.
                              Keith

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Saw this one at the theater. Can't wait to purchase the DVD!
                                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Rented this weekend.....
                                  I will definitely pull a George, and buy it when it hits the previously viewed rack.
                                  Most interesting to me was the 'depiction' of how a person can be driven to make the decision that one's ideals and beliefs are more important than one's own life.

4/5 IMHO
                                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                    Rented this weekend.....
                                    I will definitely pull a George, and buy it when it hits the previously vie
                                    Yeah, I'll be waiting for the previously viewed copy. Probably be available in 3 weeks or so, maybe sooner.
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Sithlord
                                      • Aug 2004

I just bought then 2 disc edition. I really like this movie just love the V character similar to Batman but willing to go the whole way. The audio was outstanding and the end explosion has to be one of the best in any film to date IMO. I'm enjoying movies more now that I have a projector :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Sithlord
                                        I'm enjoying movies more now that I have a projector :T
                                        I felt the same way after my introduction to front projection back in 1990/91.
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Whistler
                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                                          Yeah, I watched this last week. LOTS to say on the movie, but I'd have to be careful. Overall, I liked it, and love the way that the Wachowskis ASK questions in their movies, making you think. I'll be buying this one.
                                          That is something we Europeans do not understand. If we thinks our government is crap, we can speak it out free . But it is obvious that they do not agree with the British government, particular "Tony Blair and his bigger brother :W " . The movie is great, we enjoyed it .
                                          Last edited by Chris D; 26 May 2016, 23:03 Thursday.
                                          The Mainframe

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Whistler, it's not speaking out about the government that we shy away from. Far from it. But the rules here at HT Guide specifically prohibit deeply political discussions except as how they relate to a specific movie and NOT to any real world conditions.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Exactly... I'd love to have an all-out discussion on the movie, but just want to be sensitive to all other members here, avoiding a fight. Has nothing to do with where I live or freedom of speech.
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                Exactly... I'd love to have an all-out discussion on the movie, but just want to be sensitive to all other members here, avoiding a fight. Has nothing to do with where I live or freedom of speech.
                                                I finally got to see this on DVD the other night. I had originally seen it in the cinema. It's one of the highlights of 2006 for me and instead of posting afresh, the text below is predominantly what I posted in the 'At the Movies' forum a number of months ago.

Here's what I said back then....

I can understand how this thread can easily turn into a debate about partisan political standpoints.

However, political origins cannot be avoided when discussing it.

As you probably know the story was based on 80s Thatcher conservatism and having grown up in this part of the wold during that time - it was not a good time at all. Ireland was directly impacted by her policies on Northern Ireland - civil war was a possibility.

My only point is that the movie and original comic portrays a tale of how democracy can be easily manipulated and the citizen exploited to ultimately create a totalitarian, fascist regime.

I used to collect the Warrior comic in the 80s and "V" was my favorite strip and later the graphic novel came out. It was a great story but differs, in parts to the movie. Most notable difference is in the movie V is a freedom fighter(terrorist, depending on your point of view) whereas in the comic, he was portrayed as an anarchist. Alan Moore positioned the story of V as not being about Fascism vs. Democracy, but Fascism vs. Anarchism - the two extreme ends of the political spectrum. Oppression vs. Absolute Freedom, which means Freedom without Political Leaders, where people rule themselves.

However, the movie avoids any mention or serious discussion of Anarchism as a political ideology, which was the heart of the book’s politics.

In any case I loved the story. Moore’s villains were full-blown fascists modeled on the Nazis -they were members of a party called Norsefire, complete with racial-purity laws and aggressive persecution of homosexuals and non-Christian beliefs. Such elements perhaps gave Moore’s story a universality and resonance well beyond a critique of Thatcher conservatism.

Anyhow back to the movie. The script was snappy and intelligent. There was also a distinct lack of the type of sloppy action scenes one has come to expect these days, they were fast, classy and very exciting.

I really enjoyed watching actors like John Hurt, Stephen Fry and Stephen Rea. Hugo Weaving was perfect as the verbally acrobatic and theatrical V and Portman delivered a very convincing portrayal of Evey.

What's not to like about this movie? Nothing from my perspective, but for your average everyday hardline conservative (neocon if you must) or fascist(note; I do not consider them the same), well, they may be a bit upset by the ending!

My conclusion, I would say that this is an accomplished, surprisingly edgy and provocative mainstream thriller with some points to make about terrorism and whether violent rebellion is justified to overthrow a fascist system.
                                                Last edited by Chris D; 26 May 2016, 23:04 Thursday.
                                                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2001

I bought this previously viewed a couple of weeks back and forgot to mention how much I enjoyed it. Oh, yeah, it does make you think.
                                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• saurabh
                                                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc
                                                    My only point is that the movie and original comic portrays a tale of how democracy can be easily manipulated and the citizen exploited to ultimately create a totalitarian, fascist regime.
                                                    Saw it yesterday, but cant agree more with you, a typical live example of it would be the Iraq war, wherein the selling point was "Weapons of mass destruction" but none were found, although I agree that SH was a dictator and had done so many cruelties, net its fate.
                                                    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by saurabh
                                                      Saw it yesterday, but cant agree more with you, a typical live example of it would be the Iraq war, wherein the selling point was "Weapons of mass destruction" but none were found, although I agree that SH was a dictator and had done so many cruelties, net its fate.

Careful now and proceed with caution....

I went to great lenghts to avoid current specifics and was not what my post was about at all. We're all aware of the current political situation but by discussing specifics, we're debasing discussion of the movie.... IMHO, of course.

V.
                                                      Vincent.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Please keep this discussion on the movie and not the current goings-on outside the cinema.

HTG Administration

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                          • Sep 2003

Finally saw this one last night, after purchasing the DVD. This one's definitely a keeper.

Movie was very compelling, and definitely held my attention the entire time. There were many occassions when it could have become 'hokey' (all the masks, etc.), but it was successfully avoided. Instead, I really felt for the people involved. A little creepy seeing Natalie shaved (looked somewhat like a young boy?), but what a commitment by her to uphold the reality of the story.

Of course, being an HT enthusiast, one of my favorite parts was near the end, when I really thought my house was literally imploding...gotta love that B&W ASW 850 sub. :W
                                                          Brad

Comment

• Chris D
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Dec 2000

Yes, you do have to give credit to everyone involved with the fact that Hugo Weaving acted the entire time in the mask.
                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Nov 2004

Watched it again last night. I love this movie! Great stuff!!!

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

Finally watched this tonight. It's everything that everyone above has mentioned. Well written. Well acted. Thought provoking. Intelligent. Invites the viewer to think about it well after it's over. And, from what I can tell so far, a PQ "to die for" (pun intended).

I'll have to give this one another viewing after thinking about it for a few days.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                                                                  • May 2004

Easily the best movie of 2006, and in my all time top 10.
                                                                  Steel

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2005

Was just thinking about your post David and this thought popped into my head....

I know its been mentioned before, but Portman's performance was utterly sublime. Her character, Evey although differed from Moore's original, was still complex, convincing and deservant of her top billing.

V.
                                                                    Vincent.

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"