• Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Good article in the Boston Globe on Studios that want you to double dip

This on the heels of the 6 versions of Kill Bill announced :E :evil:

DVD's Not So Special

Greedy studios make DVDs not so special
    By Renee Graham, Globe Staff | April 27, 2004

When I received my first DVD player for Christmas in 2001, I did what anyone with such a spanking new high-tech toy would do: I immediately dashed out and bought an armload of my favorite movies on disc. I started with "Blazing Saddles," "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," and "The Great Escape," and by the time 2001 turned into 2002, I had also picked up "Enter the Dragon," "Amadeus," and Akira Kurosawa's "Ran."

ADVERTISEMENT

I've spent the years since replacing those early acquisitions with newfangled DVD versions of the same movies. As a DVD novice, it never occurred to me that the studios would release multiple versions of the same film.

And I don't just mean full-screen versus wide-screen (letterboxed) formats. I refer to the irritating, increasing tendency of the ever-rapacious movie industry to make a big deal out of releasing a hotly awaited film on DVD, and then months, sometimes years later putting out another version of that movie that's tricked-out with features. Collector's editions give way to special editions, limited editions are replaced by ultimate versions -- all with the intention of wringing more dollars out of consumers.

On the first day of its DVD release, "Kill Bill Vol. 1," Quentin Tarantino's ultraviolent, ultrastylish revenge orgy starring Uma Thurman, sold 2 million copies and made a whopping $40 million. Customers snapping up this fairly bare-bones disc -- in addition to the film, there's only a making-of documentary, a "Vol. 2" trailer, and video from the Japanese all-girl band the 5.6.7.8's, who perform in the film -- probably did so expecting a later version featuring both parts of the film. ("Kill Bill Vol. 2" recently opened in theaters.) But what customers buying the disc didn't know was that Miramax is actually planning six different DVD releases of the "Kill Bill" films.

Here's how Rick Sands, Miramax's chief operating officer, explained it to The New York Times last week:

" `Vol. 1' goes out, `Vol. 2' goes out, then `Vol. 1 Special Edition,' `Vol. 2 Special Edition,' the two-pack, then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set for Christmas," he said. "It's called multiple bites at the apple."

The apple ain't the only thing getting bitten.

It may have taken the studios a few years to recognize the public's embrace of DVDs, but now they're clearly focused on greedily exploiting that desire as much as possible. Studios can now spend as much promoting a film on DVD as for its theatrical run, and the financial benefits can quickly become a bonanza. And movie executives understand that someone willing to buy a movie they've probably already paid $10 to see in a theater wants the best available version of a beloved film. (This is why "The Lord of the Rings" fans who bought the two-disc versions of the first two films turned right around and bought the extended four-disc box sets at twice the price.)

See, it's never been just the much-improved quality of the picture and sound on DVDs that makes them so hot. It's all those cool extras such as full-length commentary tracks from cast and crew members, deleted scenes, outtakes, and behind-the-scenes documentaries. Some also offer interviews with stars and directors on programs such as "Charlie Rose" or appearances from film festivals. Save being on a movie set, it's the most comprehensive way to fully experience a favorite film.

If the studios wanted to be fair (and, of course, there's no indication that they would even know how), they would take their cues from the Criterion Collection, generally recognized as the gold standard for DVD releases. The collection features films from the world's great directors such as Kurosawa, Federico Fellini, and Alfred Hitchcock, and its releases are lovingly restored and usually enhanced with multiple special features. Criterion DVDs tend to be more expensive -- a typical two-disc set runs about $40 -- but it seems worth it because these releases tend to be definitive versions. And Criterion avoids such meaningless terms as "collector's edition" or "special edition," meant to lure customers believing they are getting something extra.

Studio suits would do well to remember the hard lessons learned by the record industry. As CD prices inexplicably increased year after year, some fans turned to peer-to-peer downloading services such as Kazaa and the then-illegal Napster for their music fix. The music industry has been crying foul ever since and suing the very people it wants to purchase its product.

With the "Kill Bill Vol. 1" disc selling so well on its debut day, the studios probably believe they have a green light to continue abusing their customers -- "Hey, no one's making them buy those DVDs," they probably reason. Yet it seems only a matter of time before the public's love of DVDs is poisoned with anger at the studios for exploiting that love for more and more money.

Life in the Pop Lane appears on Tuesdays. Renee Graham can be reached at graham@globe.com.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Sad but true...but really can you expect much more from movie execs? I mean they're in the same circles as politicians and lawyers and about as near-sighted as moles.

Just this sort of thing has forced me to become a much smarter DVD purchaser. For instance I haven't purchased any of the extended LOTR discs (just the originals) and I'm not even going to bother purchasing ROTK when it comes out until there's a box set of all three films extended versions. I'll be renting the "regular" version when it comes out instead. I never even saw it in the theatre.

Like the article mentioned in comparison to the music industry, they'd better be careful. Things like DVD-burners and faster and faster internet connections could seriously impede their money machines and to be totally honest with you, they'd deserve it based on their current attitude. Do I feel bad for all the people behind the scenes who work so hard to put out quality movies and music? Absolutely. Do I feel bad for the artists? Yes. But all of those people will end up getting screwed because of their bosses. The executives who are currently screwing the public. Well eventually the public screws back.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Whistler
      • Aug 2003

Hi,

Old news, I allready know it for some months . Tarantino mentioned it in an interview a few months ago. The same counts for the LOTR "trilogy", everybody knew there would come different versions of each movie. Maybe the attitude is different in the US, but I don't really mind if they release several versions. At the end I must make a decission and not them .

Regards,

Whistler
      The Mainframe

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

I'm with both of you on this. Sometimes the added value is nice...a new transfer or a director's cut...but....

Look at T2 (and this has been debated to death), the naming of these version don't offer the finality... T2 Ultimate, Extreme I mean that's getting a little "extreme".

Extreme had really one big thing going for it: T2-HD WMV9 and not much else. They didn't price it over the top but still they probably could have simply made this a purchase web-only item for those that really wanted it.

The Mummy and the Mummy Ultimate didn't offer a lot of difference other than a promotional tie-in to the mummy returns and DTS (which made the DTS camp happy I guess)...

Better left said as the "not-so-special edition".

I think that's what may have killed the Matrix re-release (when word got out that it was the same transfer and just promotional tie-ins to Revolutions, though if anyone knows what really happened with that, we're all ears :?

However all that said if you're like me who doesn't buy the movie when it's first released and can afford to wait a while, sometimes the re-release benefits simply from new technology...

Look at Aliens....I waited and waited simply because I really did want the theatrical version and could only find the special edition. I almost threw in the towel when lo and behold they annouce the mega pack! A little extreme for someone who only wants 2 of 4 movies. So I waits a little longer and they annouce that they will sell them individually. :T

Now the transfer on Alien (25th ann and orig) was amazing...the audio was a little harsh in the center channel at times but it was nice work all around.

Aliens was apparantly not a new transfer from the old, but because fox was using new encoders...this version had more detail in them...which was a nice bonus indeed!

So it can pay to wait and you're right...in the end it's your wallet, your voice. If you stay silent then you are in effect in agreement to those practices.

However, just because a studio tells you upfront what they're gonna do, doesn't always make it okay.

I think what people get ticked about is the special edit that don't pander to the enthusiast crowd, the connoisseur (like Criterion). DVD's are now for joe-everybody and the enthusiast isn't going to get really excited about the software again until we see HD-DVD. Even then, it may not blow their socks off the way DVD did. I just don't think we'll see that level of excitment about a format for a long time. HD-DVD is the next logical step but unless it's in 4-D I don't think it will be as special as DVD once was.
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Just came from another site where there was protesting that Jackson/Newline were evil for delaying the ROTK EE until November.

Now I agree that studios releasing a new "special" edition after the initial release are working the public, especially if it is not announced at the same time.

But I disagree STRONGLY that anything about the LOTR releases falls into this area. They have always announced in advance of either version that both would exist, and the rough time frame for the respective releases. They have no duplication of extra material on the two versions, and the minimal delay between them can easily be justified given the work to create the additional footage (postproduction, etc.) and commentaries. not to mention that for the first two DVD EE releases, he was still MAKING THE FRIGGING SEQUELS TOO.

But back on the general topic, it's come to the point for me where the only thing that gets me to spring for a re-buy is the promise of worthwhile PQ improvement. And even that is becoming less of a temptation given the (more or less) imminent advent of HD disks.

BB

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"