X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Rumor Has It was quite enjoyable

I am , and always will be a huge Kevin Costner fan and will see anything he appears in. In the case of Rumor Has It, his appearance is limited but very well done as the guy who nailed Grandma ( Shirley McLaine), Ma and finally the daughter ( Jennifer Aniston). The show stealer here is Shirley as the crusty grandma who seduced Costner when he was pre-university. They are supposedly the characters that inspired the book and the film The Graduate, or I guess you could say fiction within fiction.

Aniston wonders why she seems so different from other members of her family. Her mom died when she was nine, but Aniston discovers that just before marrying her ( Aniston's ) father, she disappeared for a few days and actually had an affair with Costner. After counting the months, Aniston thinks that maybe she was the result of her mom's fling with Costner, looks up Costner and confronts him. But Costner suffered an accident as a soccer player in school and is sterile so he couldn't possibly be Aniston's dad. She then gets a liitle drunk after a night on the town with Costner and awakens in Costner's bed, even though she is engaged to a young lawyer ( Mark Ruffalo ) she consents to attending a ball with Costner and there she is confronted by her fiancee. She has been one mixed up gal from the getgo and now she has to decided between Costner, a man old enough to be her father, and Rufallo who has been both her best friend and lover.

I'm not a big Aniston fan , probably because I only saw a few episodes of Friends, and felt that most of the films she did were just so so. But she does an excellent job here as the mixed up daughter in search of herself. But as I mentioned earlier, the real star here is Shirley McLaine and when she and Costner come face to face again at the conclusion of Rumor Has It, that scene alone is well worth the price of the dvd or the rental.

Not a big hit, but certainly a pleasant watch. :35:
    My Homepage!
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

Gotta agree with you George, I liked this one also. Some people can't stand Kevin Costner. But I really like his films. I thought the pic quality was pretty good too. "Where have you gone Mrs. Robinson", Ha Ha. I liked Costner in "Open Range" also.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Open Range is a big favorite of mine, too. I really don't know why so many people don't like Costner. Some say his acting is wooden. But I see that as being his acting style. Sorta like Gary Cooper, he just plays himself. I like everything he's done, though I felt that The Postman was a tad too long. I particularly like the light stuff he has been doing lately, such as Rumor Has It and The Upside Of Anger. Anyway, DelRay, glad I'm not the only Costner fan in the world. :lol:
      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I enjoyed this film. I too think that Shirley Mclaine stole the show in this one.

I don't have a problem with Costner either. He did a solid job in this one though, he really did not get a lot of scren time.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

Hello All,

We hated it big time!!!! Couldn't get past the "it maybe her father thing."
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"