X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

The New World

"Two Thumbs Down"........I wouldnt even recommend a rental, leave alone buying.

Although its based on true events but it could have done better in the Documentary Genre than as a Romantic epic.

I couldnt just watch it fully, had to press the FF button on the remote. It can be a good suffering tool, if you make someone watch it :evil:
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy
  • Marcel54
    • Jan 2004

I totally agree with you. It was boring, instead of 2,5 hours the whole story could be told in 1,5 hours tops. Besides that I thought I was looking at a National Geographic documentary instead of a movie. Unfortunaly I bought it instead of rented it.

Marcel

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

This film is directed by Terrence Malick and he is definitely not for everyone. Remember The Thin Red Line ? Well it took me three viewings before I really came to appreciate it fully. Malick, if he were a writer only, would be a poet and not many poets are a hit with critics. His film work is poetic and that makes it often slow and hard going for most.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
        • May 2004

I agree, a big let down. Could have been so much better. The acting from the female lead was very good, but the plot and characters just fizzled on like a big balloon losing air. Not even a stay up late to watch on cable.

I could not even get through one sitting of The Thin Red Line. Rented it and shut it off after an hour or so.
        Steel

Comment

• Marcel54
          • Jan 2004

Normally I like Malick's movies, I think that Badlands, Days of Heaven and the Thin Red Line are great movies, but this one is easily his weakest IMHO.

Marcel

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

You may be correct, Marcel, but because of the nature of Malick's work, I'll give it a few spins to see if it grows on me.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Well, I put it on last night to watch with my youngest daughter and wife.

Beautiful scenery, but, after around 30 minutes, I told them the film was dragging for me and they both responded that they were bored at that point in the film

Now, I went in with high expectations based on reviews, but the contrived relationship between Captain Smith and Pocohantas really irked me. I've read some historical documents of the time and, from what I've read, the movie was totally inaccurate historically.

I'll probably watch the rest over the weekend, but I'm kind of looking forward to it like a trip to the dentist.

To be honest, I just might not have been in the mood and, as we know, matching mood/activity is important in many aspects of life.
              Keith

Comment

• DelRay
                • Jun 2004

Gee, I thought I was the only one who thought it was a stinker. Thats 2 hours I'll never get back. And don't even get me started on "The Producers". Maybe I just don't care for musicals though.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"