X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

In Her Shoes much more than a chick flick

This is a story of two sisters, an act of betrayal that drives them apart, and a grandmother, played wonderfully by Shirley MacLaine, that ultimately brings them back together. Toni Collette ( Rose ) is the older sister, who has been more a mother than a sister to the younger Diaz ( Maggie). Both sisters have their weak traits. Rose has an inferiority complex and Maggie doesn't really care much for herself. When Rose allows Maggie to move into her apartment their weak character traits collide. But it's how these two sisters eventually change that make this film a lot more than a chick flick.

Excellent acting by Collette and old pro Shirley MacLaine. But the real surprise was how well Cameron Diaz portrayed the dyslexic, irresponsible Maggie. The girl can act when given something decent to work with and she gets that chance here.

Like most character-driven films, In Her Shoes has a slow pace. But there are some amusing moments and some dramatic moments that made this an engaging film for me and my wife. I only rented it, but I feel I would like to watch it again some time.

PQ is excellent and audio is pretty much what you'd expect from a film dealing with dialogue rather than action.

:4: out of 5 for me.
    My Homepage!
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Yes,

We really enjoyed this DVD. And if much more than a chick flick. Also 1/2 the movie was filmed here in Philly.

June
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Also 1/2 the movie was filmed here in Philly.
      June

Glad you liked the film, June. Did you get to see any of the stars during the making of it in Philly ?
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Did you get to see any of the stars during the making of it in Philly
        Having lived in Philly a while back, I know that the stars are usually visible there at night even when movies are NOT being made. :>)

Cameron Diaz has been "surprising" us a lot lately (the past ten years or so) :>) with her acting and even an occasional voice-over of note (e.g., "Shrek"). Her reputation as a brainless "ditz" is undeserved. IMO, she was the only reason to watch "Gangs of New York" and her roles in "Vanilla Sky", "Being John Malkovich", "Any Given Sunday" and "My Best Friend's Wedding" remind us that There's Something (special) About... Cameron. :>)

Guess I'll have to give "In Her Shoes" a look, knowing that Diaz is in it -- and the other "chicks" in that "flick" aren't so bad either. :>) Shirley McLaine can turn just about any script into something worth watching.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

None, I work at the Bellevue / Hyatt hotel in downtown Philly. More sport stars than anyone.
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"