X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theMaximus
    • Jul 2004

Kingdom of Heaven

Has anyone tried this DVD yet? After Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, I have high expectations of Ridley Scott's DVDs. I was just wondering how PQ and SQ of this DVD compared to those of Gladiator and B.H.D.
    Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

My friend bought it(against the advice of yours truly due to the DC coming and the fact the PQ isn't so good per HTF). I got a chance to look it over.

The PQ is not that great. Average at best.
    SQ was pretty good.
    Movie: not so good. Orlando Bloom can't carry the main role and is the storys big weakness other than the below average story. This is a rental only until the DC comes. Ridley admits he was handcuffed on this decision to release a shorter more cut to the chase film and a DC has been discussed for some time now. The rumored DC is adding back nearly an hour and fixes the story issues(supposedly). It still can't fix Blooms poor acting prowless but if that is all that is left to complain about, it won't be too bad.

My advice: Wait.

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I enjoyed the film in the theaters (although there are certainly parts that are rushed), but I'm taking Shane's advice on waiting for the Director's Cut.
      ~Nick

Comment

• Foxman
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
        but I'm taking Shane's advice on waiting for the Director's Cut.
        when is that due out?
        IMO

My Movies
        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• ht_addict
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Shane Martin
          My friend bought it(against the advice of yours truly due to the DC coming and the fact the PQ isn't so good per HTF). I got a chance to look it over.

The PQ is not that great. Average at best.
          SQ was pretty good.
          Movie: not so good. Orlando Bloom can't carry the main role and is the storys big weakness other than the below average story. This is a rental only until the DC comes. Ridley admits he was handcuffed on this decision to release a shorter more cut to the chase film and a DC has been discussed for some time now. The rumored DC is adding back nearly an hour and fixes the story issues(supposedly). It still can't fix Blooms poor acting prowless but if that is all that is left to complain about, it won't be too bad.

My advice: Wait.
          He makes a better Elf :evil: than an actor :B

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Sometime in 2006. For the time being Blockbuster and Netflix work wonders

Comment

• theMaximus
              • Jul 2004

I just finished watching the DVD and must say that Gladiator it is not, but still a very good DVD. Picture was above average and sound was just a little short of being a reference quality.

It is true that the story isn't very strong, and Bloom's acting leaves much to be desired. However, it was still a good movie and a DVD worth owning IMO.
              Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I watched my copy of the Director's Cut last night. I thought the extra scenes were all worthwhile with the exception of the last major one inserted, a duel between Balian and Guy du Lusignan - while well done it just seemed out-of-the-flow. The others all added to an already engrossing tale (to me, at least) and fleshed out several persons' motives/actions/comments. I'm glad I bought it.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I didn't go for The Director's cut but the original has gotten played twice in my HT, so that pretty much sums up my opinion of the film.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Miroku
                    • Jul 2004

This 4-disc directors cut has to be the best DVD of this year so far for me. PQ and SQ are as good as they come. I never saw the theatrical release of this movie, and from what I've heard that probably a good thing. The directors cut has been receiving rave reviews all over the net, and I can see why. What a great movie! and excellent special features! :T

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Just watched this one tonight from Netflix. Bottom line: Not bad, but didn't overwhelm me. I'm starting to get tired of war movies with big old-army battles, that feel like they're gratuitous violence and blood with the brutal gore of classic combat. I feel that the time has passed where these scenes have a greatness, showing the way that war really used to be long ago in history, and now it's just... well... more and more gratuitous. I don't want to overly taint my review of this movie; it certainly didn't sink to the level of "Troy" or other movies in the last few years.

The biggest emphasis to me in movies is almost always the plot--the story. In Kingdom of Heaven, overall I just wasn't drawn into the story, finding it to be the central focus of the movie. Instead, at times it seemed secondary to the desire to show large-scale army combat. However, there were points in the movie where the theme of Christianity vs. Islam, and the exploration of the historical concept of waging war FOR a religion, did jump out and grab me. There were scenes that did make me think and reflect--I just would have liked to have seen so many more of these scenes!

Overall, the movie was a worthwhile use of 2 hours (or whatever it is) but I was disappointed that it wasn't more. The plot, love story, etc, could have been much more solid and refined. Great cast of actors, though! I especially liked Jeremy Irons, and I've come to appreciate that Liam Neeson appears to me to NOT be a glory hog, taking smaller parts of a mentor character or such in movies, and doing the part well. (reminiscent of Star Wars I: A Phantom Menace) Anybody else see the other actor, though, and couldn't think of anything else than Hagrid from Harry Potter?

:25: out of :5:
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

I did find this review quote to be funny, extracted from Rotten Tomatoes where this movie rated 39%. Attributed to Tim Appelo, Seattle Weekly:

"As a war hero, Orlando Bloom reminds me of the nickname Truman Capote's father gave him: Little Miss Mouse Fart"

Especially what I saw of Capote from his titled film, this is funny.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"