X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Midsummer Night's Dream

Watched this last night. Quite well done with nice, lush, colourful sets and a good job done by all the actors though not likely not quite up to "Bard-Snobs" standards :lol: Obviously the script was pretty good :lol:

Picture was non-anamorphic but other than the subsequent loss of detail, was pretty good.

Not the most enveloping soundtrack but the music sounded great if it was a little "front three" heavy. Dialogue was a little soft in a couple parts but was mostly pretty clear.

If nothing else I'd recommend it as a prelude/kickstart to a romantic evening. Something about the classical/operatic score and the youthful, scantily clad frolicking in the woods... Seemed to work for us anyways :W
    Jason
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

No Shakespeare fans eh....? ops:
    Jason

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
      • May 2004

Re: A Midsummer Nights Dream

We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of this production... yet we had heard nothing about it before hand!? (As you said... It probably didn't meet up to Bard-Snob standards). It's good to see it finally receive some recognition. Good Fun watching it, and great fun afterwards. :W (Curiously, "Legend" had a similar effect).

Cracking!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

No Shakespeare fans eh....?
        Too busy catching up with DVD releases (and some laser discs in my collection) of "The Merchant of Venice" (Al Pacino), "The Taming of the Shrew" (Liz Taylor, Richard Burton), "Titus" (Anthony Hopkins), "Romeo and Juliet" (Olivia Hussey), "Henry V" (Laurence Olivier),"Henry V" (Kenneth Branagh), "Much Ado About Nothing" (Branagh, Emma Thompson), "Hamlet" (Mel Gibson), "Hamlet" (Kenneth Branagh), "Richard III" (Laurence Olivier) and "Richard III" (Ian McKellen) , to say nothing about revisiting "Shakespeare In Love".

Looks like "Midsummer Night's Dream" will be a worthwhile addition to the list. Thanks for the "heads up".

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

We own and enjoy Much Ado About Nothing (Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves do Shakespeare?), and Shakespeare In Love. I've wanted the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet since I first saw it, but never seem to remember to order it or ever see it in Best Buy.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Picture was non-anamorphic but other than the subsequent loss of detail, was pretty good.
            This was the first movie where I've seen "pixel structure" when blown up to take advantage of the size of my projection screen with my "new" (half year old) projector. However, by zooming it down a bit, that effect was overcome and the picture was quite watchable.

I found the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound more than adequate to the task of conveying mood with sound effects and music. I had no problem with the dialog. Of course, this was not my first exposure to these words, but it came through clearly enough to understand it without following along with a copy of the "unabridged Shakespeare". :>)

Watching the actors gambol about on bicycles took a bit of getting used to, (but not as big a shock as the tank crashing through the opening of Ian McKellen's "Richard III") and I cringe whenever I see anyone on screen light up a smoke, but once the play got going, it all worked out... Shakespeare AND modern audiences have been well served by this beautifully done production.

Burke

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Yup George why they even make widescreen movies non-anamorphic I'll never know :roll:
              Jason

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Originally posted by aud19
                Yup George why they even make widescreen movies non-anamorphic I'll never know :roll:
                Would someone please notify "George" that he has a message waiting for him in this thread? :>)

Burke

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Sorry Burke ops:
                  Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

George. Burke.

Burke. George.

The family resemblance is amazing if I say so myself, so the mistake is an honest one Jason. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Youse guys are crackin' me up :rofl:
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"