X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Hostage is not Die Hard

There was a post on this a few months back in AT THE MOVIES, but since it is now out on dvd I will post my comments on it here.

At the beginning of this film, Willis is a hostage negotiator. Things go terribly wrong and Willis is devastated. A year later he is a police chief in a small California town. What starts out as a simple robbery at a rich residence turns into a hostage situation that Willis happily turns over to another expert from Los Angeles, but the owner of this residence is involved in something else that gets Willis and his wife and daughter involved whether he likes it or not.

The story stretches things a bit bit but overall I enjoyed the film. Bruce Willis plays a more belivably human character than his John MacLaine of the Die Hard films. In fact this film gives him a little room to stretch his acting chops. The story seemed to move along quickly and the action, especially during the conclusion, was well presented. I rented this, but now after watching it, I think I'll buy it. I'd like to see it again.

:35:
    My Homepage!
  • olukemi-santos
    • Jul 2005

Yeah. It was a pretty good movie all through untill they got to the end. The end was unbeliveable. was'nt realistic enough. Overall, it was a good movie.

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

We saw it as a group(4 of us) and all but one of us wanted to shut it off early(an hour or so to be exact). The other guy just wanted to see the movie until the end. We all panned it.

So 8 thumbs down.

Comment

• Foxman
        • Jan 2003

Just watched it last night. Pretty intense, but the three of us that watched it liked it. Willis sure had a tough day. My wife called the ending FWIW.
        IMO

My Movies
        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

If the audience was expecting another Die Hard, I could see why they would be disappointed. But no where during the film did I, or the other friends that were watching with me, want to turn it off. Though I have to say, that if anyone other than Bruce Willis was playing the lead character, the film would not be worth watching IMHO.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I kinda saw the previews and just shrugged this one off...
            ~Nick

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

If the audience was expecting another Die Hard, I could see why they would be disappointed
              The audience was expecting an action title. Instead we got a huge terd of a movie. Different strokes I guess.
              Though I have to say, that if anyone other than Bruce Willis was playing the lead character, the film would not be worth watching IMHO
              This is a telling sign indeed. Not a good one either.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                The audience was expecting an action title. Instead we got a huge terd of a movie.
                Could be the friends who were watching it with me were just being kind to me. As you say, though, " different strokes for different folks." I'm going to buy it just the same.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

Could be the friends who were watching it with me were just being kind to me.
                  It wasn't that bad though. It was probably 4 out of 10 bad. The Core was so bad we all were taking bets on who gets it first. When the movie is just a sideshow like that at best, you know it's BAD.

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

I found it at least somewhat entertaining, I concur though, without Bruce it would have been a bomb. 2 out 5 stars.

Regards,

Azeke
                    Last edited by Azeke; 12 July 2005, 15:21 Tuesday. Reason: Grammar

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

I thought it was a pretty decent movie, kept me interested. Yes the ending was not the best...but eh.... what can one expect from hollywood these days???

The sound effects on the disc were pretty good, not the best, but where decent. There was a decent amount of use of the surrounds, gunshots sounded realistic and over all...that's probably what kept me more entertained by the movie than the movie itself. I felt bad for Dennis and his brother getting mixed up with Mars...they could've made the movie a lot shorter and had them just go to the movies (and live).... ha ha.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Recorded this off HD a while ago and watched it last night...

Pretty much what's already been said. Decent but not good, Willis did a good job and the action was decent with good PQ/SQ but otherwise nothing overly impressive. Definitely a renter
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"