X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Inside Man - latest Heist film

Heist films are usually a dud and tend to be a bit comical at times but this one is completely different. I knew it would be as soon as the "Spike Lee Joint" sign pops up during the opening sequence. Spike Lee usually does pieces about racism and human element type pieces but here he does what I'd consider one of the best Heist films I've seen yet.

The dialog is top shelf. The script is so well done I don't know where to start and the cast is first rate.

The main parts are:

Clive Owen - Bank Robber
    Denzel Washington - Detective in charge for Hostage negotiation.
    William Dafoe - head of Swat/tactical.
    Jodie Foster.

I'm no Spike Lee fan but he knocks it out of the park here. The trailer looked WEAK and to be honest I was only looking for entertainment here but after reading it was around 85% on rotten tomatoes I knew something was special.

This film should completely knock you out. It's well worth seeing.

9 out of 10. A must buy on dvd errr...... HD DVD/BR.
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

It looked like a great movie, cant wait to see it!
    B&W

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

If Shane's that high on it, it just has to be good .
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Nick M
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

I plan on seeing this. Maybe tomorrow afternoon... :T
        ~Nick

Comment

• Nick M
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Two thumbs up, this one was really fun to watch!

Great casting and film style. I thought everything came across flawless. The music and effects were quite good as well.

This would be a one-timer for me though. Once you know the story and plot-twists I think it would lose some of that mysteriousness.

:35: out of :5:

Another good one! :T
          ~Nick

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Glad to hear such positive feedback from you guys. Looks like I'll have to catch it next weekend... it sounds like a major departure from type for Spike Lee, and I will be interested to see what he does with the material. The strong acting ensemble is another plus. Christopher Plummer, Jodie Foster and Denzel Washington in the same flick would probably be interesting even if they were just filmed reading names out of the phone book. :>)

Once you know the story and plot-twists I think it would lose some of that mysteriousness.
            Yep -- you sure wouldn't be watching it a second time to be surprised again by plot twists. Basically the reason to watch a "known mystery" the second time is to further appreciate the rest of the craft that is exhibited, like the acting, period details they got right, cinematography nuances, etcetera. Speaking of heists gone wrong, I just rewatched "Dog Day Afternoon" after not seeing it for several years. Even though I knew the outcome, I still enjoyed the acting.

Actually, with movies which recount historical events where we already know the outcome the first time before the movie even starts, there's the danger that we'll lose interest if the whole thing seems to be a linear progression toward the historical conclusion. However, if the screenplay is well written and the film well directed, the plot may sweep us up in its folds and keep us interested by suggesting that the outcome wasn't foreordained. But we pretty much still won't be surprised at the end. And if it is not well made, then a movie like that isn't even worth the first sit-through.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being surprised and entertained by "Inside Man".

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Burke
              Yep -- you sure wouldn't be watching it a second time to be surprised again by plot twists. Basically the reason to watch a "known mystery" the second time is to further appreciate the rest of the craft that is exhibited, like the acting, period details they got right, cinematography nuances, etcetera.
              With that, I give you The Usual Suspects. I can watch this film every so often just to get reaquainted with the characters and to enjoy the excellence shown by all the artists.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• june
                • Feb 2005

Hello All,

Did anyone notice the name on the pizza boxes? "Sal's Pizza" from Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing!"
                June
                "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Foxman
                  • Jan 2003

I had a rare date with my wife Friday night and chose V or Vendetta over this movie based on just hearing some people say V was good, but not knowing really anything about it. I really wish I had chose this one over V. That's not a knock on V but had I done more research I would have known that this movie would be more inline with what my wife would prefer over V.

Good to hear it is a good movie. Thanks for the review.
                  IMO

My Movies
                  Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

Once you know the story and plot-twists I think it would lose some of that mysteriousness
                    Some yes but you also get to rewatch it again to figure things out. I still watch Sixth Sense multiple times even though I know the ending now.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Saw it last night, thought it was a good movie, but a bit slow moving IMO.
                      B&W

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"