X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cracking Oboe
    • May 2004

The Mask

We watched the recent re-release of "The Mask" (New Line Platinum) last night.
    We had forgotten how fun the movie was. The interesting thing is that it has both DTS ES (discrete), and Dolby Digital EX soundtracks! :T

Cracking!
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I have the first New Line dvd release with DD 5.1. It would be nice to have DTS but I don't intend to replace the old baby. You're correct, though, this is a really good FUN movie. I rewatch it often.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I love it when the dog winds up with it on. :rofl:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

I have the first New Line dvd release with DD 5.1. It would be nice to have DTS but I don't intend to replace the old baby
        Somewhere I read it is non-anamorphic(the old one). The new one is anamorphic amongst other things.

Just finding a copy is a problem.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Shane is correct

The old version is non-anamorphic, but frankly, the early New Line stuff looks as good as some of the anamorphic transfers we see today. I suppose if I saw the the new DTS/anamorphic version somewhere at a bargain price someday, I would likely buy it, in the meantime, though, I am quite content with the picture I see on my big screen.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
            • May 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
            I suppose if I saw the the new DTS/anamorphic version somewhere at a bargain price someday, I would likely buy it,.
            I paid $15.00 CND. I thought it was a bargain I could not turn down. I'm glad I didn't pass it up (of course if you are replacing an existing DVD in your collection, the cost:benefit ratio may not be reasonable when compared to purchasing a new, un-seen, DVD).

David, I agree, the dog is great and deserved his own movie. Which reminds me... I received an insert with the DVD that advertised "The Son of the Mask" (with a picture of the dog and a baby with the mask on the cover). The ad. said that it is already available on DVD. Does anyone know anything about it?

Cracking!

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

The ad. said that it is already available on DVD. Does anyone know anything about it?
              It is out and everything I've seen on it was "STAY AWAY".

The disc was $14.99 at best buy.

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                It is out and everything I've seen on it was "STAY AWAY".

The disc was $14.99 at best buy.
                Thanks Shane... It was the picture of the dog on the cover that made me consider it. I appreciate the warning.

Cracking!

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

I never really liked The Mask.

My favorite Carrey film was The Truman Show.
                  ~Nick

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                    I never really liked The Mask.

My favorite Carrey film was The Truman Show.
                    Yeh, I understand Nicholas.
                    I thought I didn't like The Mask either. (Which is why we never purchased it in the past.) I was finally coerced by my other half to buy it only because she pointed out the DTS-ES soundtrack).
                    I guess my tastes have changed with age. Once, when I was young and watching the Road-Runner, my Dad walked in and watched for a minute and laughed uproariously then sat down and laughed the whole half hour. Made us go... Huuuuh? :scratchhead:
                    Now, I find The Road-Runner hilarious.

I really liked Carry in The Majestic and the Truman Show, otherwise I usually think his antics are usually just plain silly and over the top.

Cracking!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Well, anamorphic on the new release is defitely good, guess I haven't watched it in a long time, becuase I would have noticed that...

So my first though would be good deal, pick it up, especially at $15.99, as it's one of my more favorite Jim Carrey movie-

BUT, an HD-DVD version is scheduled for later this year... along with quite a few other interesting things from Platinum New Line and Time-Warner. So I think I'm going to wait...

~Jon
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Thank goodness! I deliberately have NOT bought this movie because the lack of anamorphic. Same thing with Armageddon, Spaceballs, etc. Good to see these are finally being rectified. Like Jon said, though, I'll have to weigh the purchase with HD coming out.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Haven't seen The Mask at $15.99 anywhere around here. Walmart has The Mask and Son Of Mask as a package but I'm not interested in the sequel.

I played my non-anamorphic version last night because this thread piqued my interest in it again, and I am still quite happy with the PQ even though it isn't anamorphic. One thing I did notice this time, though, was a terrific amount of edge enhancement that I had not noticed before for some strange reason. I like this movie but I just don't feel it is worth replacing. There are other discs out there I'd rather add to my collection and this old retired fart has to watch his budget.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2001

terrific amount of edge enhancement
                            Seems like an oxymoron George.. EE is terrific?

To be frank, I haven't found the disc around town hardly. Best Buy had like 10 copies and they were it. Since it retails for $14.99 I figured I'd wait.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"