• Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Ray

Rented it.

One of the best movies of 2004.
    Foxx did a great job, and I was completely sucked into this while watching. Didn't answer the phone, cancled some plans I had tonight so I could watch the extended version. An absolute must buy. Getting it tomorrow.

:45: out of :5:

EDIT: Thought about it some more, I think this was the best movie from 2004 that I've seen.
    ~Nick
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I have been a long time Ray Charles fan so I will be watching this dvd for sure. Heck, Foxx even looked like Ray.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Great movie, Jamie Foxx did an excellent job, even Ray Charles acknowledged it before he died (long story). Nicholas, I agree this was one of the best of 2004, of course I also liked The Incredibles, oh well I guess I am considered diverse.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Nick M
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Dropped the rental off, then went straight to the store and bought my own copy. Going to watch the special features this weekend. :T
        ~Nick

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

This is one of those that, based on the subject, I don't think I would have sought out the movie on my own to go see, but might have flipped it on if it came on TV or something. But based on all the rave reviews I'm seeing around the country, I'm definitely gonna see this one.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Adz
            • Jan 2004

Can't wait to rent it.
            But I heard the sound quality blows big time.
            Wonder why a DVD like this would have anything less than phenomenal sound.
            Adz

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

We screened this one last night with with a bunch of friends and we all loved it :T We started out watching the extended version but it got annoying with the VERY long changes between the regular and extended portions...plus they're not the same video format which makes it even more appartent its not all one seemless movie. Anyway once we flipped back to the regular version it was a very enjoyable movie with some great music and an honest look at a legends life.

One other thing to note was that Jamie Foxx was amazing in this role and easy deserves the academy nomination's as best actor

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Andrew, how was the sound quality ?
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Excellent george :T

Comment

• Nick M
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

We started out watching the extended version but it got annoying with the VERY long changes between the regular and extended portions...plus they're not the same video format which makes it even more appartent its not all one seemless movie.
                    I agree. I watched both versions of the film, and enjoyed the theatrical release better. You also have to contend with these annoying music note symbols everytime it gets ready to display an extended scene.

Jamie Foxx deserves Best Actor for this performance. Hes been doing alot of great acting lately. I thought he was spectacular in Ali. :T
                    ~Nick

Comment

• Adz
                      • Jan 2004

Found this review on the sound quality from Widescreen Review Magazine. I have found their reviews to pretty much be on point and informative. They gave it an overall rating of 3.5 out of a possible 5+ rating. Not so good as I had heard, but I just rented it and so will find out for myself tonight!

["The Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel soundtrack is very basic, with most of the information presented through the front three screen channels. Surround channels are used with the reproduction of music, but it is typically an extension of the front main channels and does not create a believably enveloping experience. The LFE channel is used well, especially with music, but the front soundstage is not defined as well as it could be. Dialogue can be directionalized and panned well when the subject is off screen, but there is not much else remarkable about this soundtrack. (Danny Richelieu)]"
                      Adz

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I didn't expect much use of the surrounds given that a lot of the movie is people talking on screen...if you want aggressive surrounds rent a pop corn flick.

Comment

• Adz
                          • Jan 2004

Powerful movie. Clean sound across the fronts,
                          I think what the reviewer was getting at in the summary above was that the surrounds could have been used much more effectively to deliver a more immersive listening experience. No doubt, the intense and gut wrenching flashback scenes and the brilliant onstage performances could have really shined with a more enveloping 6.1 experience -- I guess it was just limited by the original movie soundtrack.

Most of us knew of Ray Charles only with respect to the real latter part of his career - IMO the movie exceled in portraying the events in his early life, the demons that haunted him and the truly great entertainer he became.
                          Adz

Comment

• Foxman
                            • Jan 2003

This is one of the best movies I own. I liked it so much I went out and purchased 2 RC cd's yesterday. I have always thought he was good but after watching the movie I was moved at what he accomplished and overcame. Even my 9 year old (who hasnt seen the movie odviously) was asking how he could do what he did being blind.
                            IMO

My Movies
                            Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Nick M
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

This is one of the best movies I own.
                              Agreed!

After watching the special features I found out that Foxx actually went to college on a Piano scholarship, and prepared for the role by playing with Ray Charles. He also played during the scenes in the film, although he didn't do the actual singing.

I have a couple RC CDs, and I'll be honest by saying they collected dust up until he died. They have since been in my regular rotation, and I can't get enough of them.
                              ~Nick

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Yeah, it's nice to see that his music is getting some attention. He's been around for so long that many ( including me) overlook his cds or lps in their collection. Like Nicholas, I have been playing a lot of those recently.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

I'm going to rent it as soon as I can.

Will most likely end up buying it, but am trying to hold down on purchases as I have shelves of DVD's that I rarely watch. Still, I'm a big fan of the great Ray Charles, so this might prove an exception.
                                  Keith

Comment

• H.Donald
                                    • Aug 2004

Just watched it last night...and enjoyed it a great deal.If Foxx does not win an Oscar then there's something rotten in Hollywood.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2001

I'd say Jamie is a sure bet for the Oscar. I still haven't seen RAY yet but I intend to buy it. There will probably be even more interest in this dvd now that Ray Charles took 8 trophies at the Grammys.
                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

I watched RAY last night before I went upstairs and tuned in the Oscars. Man, Foxx really nailed it. Quite the film, too. I was mesmerized throughout the 2 1/2 hours.
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• H.Donald
                                          • Aug 2004

Yeah...nailed it is the perfect word.Because most of us have seen Ray Charles many times we are very familiar with his movements,affects,voice ect.We knew Ray Charles..
                                          therefore there was little room for interpertation on Foxx's part.He had to BE Ray in order to be believable...and not how he thought Ray should be.And he did.Whenever I see Ray Charles now,I think of Jamie Foxx,whenever I see Jamie Foxx...I think of Ray.

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Excellent movie :T Very well done story and ALL the actors were great especially Fox.
                                            Good PQ and and SQ (for a dialogue driven drama). I thought the music sounded great myself :T

4.5 out of 5 :T
                                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"