• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Open Water

Holiday blessings everyone,

Has anyone brought or rented this DVD, with 6.1 DTS?

Is it worthy of a purchase or just a rental?

Thanks,

Azeke
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I saw this in the theater, Azeke. All I'm going to say is that perhaps you should rent it first.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

My parents saw it and hated it.

Given the mediocre feedback, I'd say a rent is in order.

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Thank you gentlemen, now I'm starting to wonder if it is worth the rental.

Rottentomatoes gave it a pretty good review, I'm wondering how it sounds on the DTS track.

Okay rental it is.

Azeke

Comment

• NMyTree
          • May 2004

I haven't seen this movie, but I have to wonder why they are marketing this movie as "the best shark movie...ever" .

From what I understand......this is not a shark movie. Am I wrong?
          Tony

Comment

• Ocelot
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by NMyTree
            I haven't seen this movie, but I have to wonder why they are marketing this movie as "the best shark movie...ever" .

No, your not wrong.
            Its more of a " Went on Vacation and had some terrible luck" movie.

Its not very good, plus the PQ and AQ are bad as well.
            IMHO

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Originally posted by NMyTree
              but I have to wonder why they are marketing this movie as "the best shark movie...ever" .

They may have wildly overstated their case in the ads by calling it the "best shark movie... ever", but not a shark movie?

The main point of the story was how terrifying it was to be stranded at sea, precisely because the couple was in shark-infested waters. They were in more danger of being eaten than of drowning. (According to IMDB, "the film is inspired by the 1998 disappearance of Tom and Eileen Lonergan, who were left behind by their diving boat off the coast of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia".)

How about these additional "trivia" points from IMDB?
              * Blanchard Ryan is in fact deeply afraid of sharks and as a result Daniel Travis had to enter the shark infested waters first each day to assure her they were not in danger.

* The sharks used in this film were Caribbean Reef Sharks. The cast wore chain mesh under their diving suits for protection and though none of them was bitten by the sharks, Blanchard Ryan was nipped by a barracuda on the first day of filming.

* The filmmakers used Hollywood shark-wrangler Stuart Cove, wild sharks and well-timed bloody bait to create the film's shark footage. No digital or special effects were used in the film.
              The way the story was handled by the film makers may have put audiences to sleep instead of putting them on the edge of their seats, but the story did involve a shark or two. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

All I can say is the wife and I nearly fell asleep watching this in the theater. Some people were grumbling and leaving before it was even over. I'm not saying it was all that bad, just poorly constructed. In the hands of a better writer and director, this could have been an excellent movie.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• TTA89
                  • Oct 2004

Looked like it was filmed with a home video camera from 10 years ago and the story was kinda stupid. I saw it in the theater and wasn't really sure how to rate it, it did make me think for a couple days though.

Id say go rent it.
                  -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• Nick M
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Opinion

I thought it was a good film.

If your someone who likes films that attempt to play with ideas, and not just blow stuff up, you'll love it. It's definetly a movie about primal fear. The beginning was kinda corny, but the bulk of the movie was great.

:35: out of :5:

Of course I have a habitual DVD buying sickness, and pick up atleast 2 titles a week. If your someone who only buys 5-Star films like Forrest Gump and Schindlers List, you could probably pass over it.
                    Last edited by Nick M; 07 January 2005, 20:21 Friday.
                    ~Nick

Comment

• theMaximus
                      • Jul 2004

I thought this movie was pretty good considering it was a extremely low budget movie. The film maker did a remarkable job of making a pretty unique and interesting movie, given the lack of resources. The biggest fun (if you can call it that) of this movie is imagining yourself in the same situation and try to think of how terrifying it would be. You are in the middle of ocean and the sharks are just itching to take a bite out of you. However, calling it the best shark movie ever would be a little far fatched. In terms of SQ and PQ, it is not much since it was basically filmed with a digital camcorder. I think it is worth the rental, but your money could be better spent buying other DVDs.
                      Last edited by theMaximus; 01 January 2005, 04:06 Saturday.
                      Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Adz
                        • Jan 2004

If you rent or buy the DVD, I would suggest also watching "The Making of" segment.

By the way, Blanchard Ryan is smokin' hot and is reason enough to watch this movie IMO. :T
                        Adz

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Well, I viewed the movie, last night.

Since, I have done some diving, I tried to put myself in their fins, allowing me to view the movie from a different perspective.

I enjoyed the film from that aspect, not much surround though, and the PQ was merely adequate.

7 out of 10 for overall viewing pleasure, be careful though, this movie can put you to sleep if you are expecting non-stop action.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"