X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

From the maker of Akira - Steamboy

Saw a new film by the man who created Akira last night - An Adventure of Steamboy (don't know the Japanese title).

He's evidently ben trying to get support to make this as well as producing it for the last 8 years. It was pretty interesting (it was only in Japanese, so I had to mostly intuit the plot, not that hard). Takes place in the mid-late 19th century, in sort of a history that never quite was. Industrial capabilities are somewhat exaggerated, Story revolves around some infinite steam power source distilled from some special cave water or something. Boy who is a third generation steam engineer finds him caught up in a political and military confrontation over this power source. Movie was a little long, and story-wise not that engrossing (don't think understanding the dialog will make that much difference), but I enjoyed it a fair bit.

While the animation was not quite as detailed and ambitious as the Ghost in the Shell sequel, Innocence, nor quite as beautiful as the stuff from Ghibli Studios like Spirited Away, it was nonetheless very good stylistically, and the blending of the handdrawn characters with the large amounts of CG scenery and backgrounds and effects was done very very well. This is something Disney still needs to wrok on, IMO, or at least they did before they decided not to do traditional animation. Speaking of which, judging by this and other movies I am seeing advertised over here, 2d traditional animation is not at all a dying art, it is alive and well in Japan.

Also saw a preview for Ghibli/Miyazaki's next effort. Looks good as well, although I can tell you neither the title nor the subject, A witch reminiscent of Yubaba of Spirited Away lives in some giant walking robot house thing, Wasn't a long preview.

Don't know if Steamboy will come to U.S. theaters, certainly not in wide distribution, but look for it on DVD in a year or so.

Also, saw a quick trailer for the LAST ever Godzilla movie Final Wars. Hope to be in Japan again for that one.

BB
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

A link to some trailers.

If you liked Disney's Atlantis, you'll probably like this.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Saw this again on the plane, this time with subtitles.

My comment above stands, as does my review. Understanding what they were saying did not improve the story appreciably, while the 7" plane seat LCD certainly hurt the animation.

Rent it if you like beautiful animation. Buy it if you love it. In that regard, it is a landmark.

Hope to see Miyazaki's new one, Howl's Moving Castle this weekend while here.

BB

Comment

• Miroku
        • Jul 2004

I just got back to the US from Tokyo. You got to see Steamboy on the plane?!? :E what airline? I was treated to Princess Diaries and First Daughter on United Airlines. Blech! :evil:

I wanted to see steamboy when I was in Japan but its in its out of the theaters, not out on video yet phase so I havent got to see it yet. I am a big fan of Katsuhiro Otomo.

I did see Howl's Moving Castle. My Japanese is still beginner so I only understood a little bit. The movie was well animated of course, but the story was a little too much on the surreal side. Too many wierd things explained by being magical, so just accept it.

If you like mecha and action stlye anime keep an eye out for Appleseed. Its been out for a bit in Japan and is coming to theaters in the US in a few weeks I think. I rented it on video in Tokyo and it was pretty good. It's all cel shaded 3d rendered animation, so it has a unique look compared to previous anime.

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Disney just switched us to ANA (business class) from United and they had Steamboy in there. They have a pretty nice video on demand system.

Going to see Howl's moving Castle tonight. My friend is a native Japanese speaker so he can fill in the voids for me after the film. I'll post tomorrow about it. I saw some promo stuff for Appleseed a while back when I saw Innocence over here, but haven't seen it yet.

BB

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"