• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Shrek 2

Here's the first review I've seen of Shrek 2...can't wait to see it:T

Shrek 2 comes by its title honestly.

Not only is it a sequel, but it offers twice the fun, twice the pop references and double the amount of astonishing technical wizardry of its predecessor.

Shrek 2 is one of those rare sequels that doesn't just capture the spirit and magic of the original, but enhances it.

Like Shrek, it is family entertainment in the truest sense of the word, because it has just as much appeal for adults and teenagers as it does for children.

Still, as far as pure entertainment and enchantment go, Shrek 2 fights an uphill battle.

Part of the enormous appeal of Shrek was the novelty of its characters and the hilarious voice work that brought them to life, coupled with the writers' witty skewering of fairy tales and theme parks.

It's not that Mike Myers's Shrek, Eddie Murphy's Donkey and Cameron Diaz's Fiona are less funny or clever this time around, it's just that we know what to expect from them.

Donkey is still a motor-mouthed, intrusive attention seeker who is just as much a genuine annoyance as he is a genuine friend.

Murphy rattles off the jokes and barbs with amazing precision, getting laughs each time Donkey opens his mouth.

Myers still makes Shrek the dour, distrustful pessimist with an inconsistent brogue, and Diaz's upbeat, positive spin makes Fiona the eternal optimist.

Our not-so-jolly green ogre Shrek knows a visit to his new in-laws' palace is going to play out like vintage Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? or slapstick Meet the Parents, and that's the fun of this second instalment.

Even though they knew Fiona was part ogre, King Harold (John Cleese) and Queen Lillian (Julie Andrews) are shocked when they see she has chosen an ogre for her husband.

Queen Lillian tries to adjust, but King Harold sets about trying to put things right by having Fiona marry Prince Charming (Rupert Everett).

He is so determined to get Shrek out of the picture that he hires the assassin Puss-in-Boots (Antonio Banderas) to send Shrek to the big smelly swamp in the sky.

Banderas even manages to upstage Murphy in the scenes they share, and the animation of Puss-in-Boots is just as inspired.

Jennifer Saunders's Fairy Godmother is reminiscent of Robin Williams's Genie from Aladdin, both in her rapid delivery and shape-shifting abilities.

Of the new characters, Andrews and Cleese have the least to work with and there just isn't enough of such minor characters as the Three Blind Mice, Pinocchio and Ginger the gingerbread man.

Making the Kingdom of Far, Far Away a parody of Hollywood supplies writers and animators with so many hysterical visual jokes it is impossible to catch or savour them all in a single viewing.

The numerous film references -- to Mission Impossible, From Here to Eternity, Ghostbusters and Lord of the Rings and even to TV shows like Cops -- work simultaneously on several levels, insuring fun for all.

Technically, Shrek 2 is dazzling, from the detail in the backgrounds to the way the hair works on Prince Charming and the fur on Puss-in-Boots.

Be sure to stay through the final credits for one of the film's best surprises.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I just have to have both SHREKS in my dvd collection. It'll probably come out in the Fall.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Andrew, who did the review?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I'll definately be picking this one up when it comes out on DVD...

When you've got a good HT who needs the commercial ones?...lol

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Can' t wait a rooney!

I love the ugly schmo! :lol:

The dude seems a litlle :unsure: but hey I like it!
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Glen
              • Dec 2003

My kids can't wait to see it. They'll probably go with Grampa when they go to see him in July ( he buys them toys after a movie - they go :B , I go :M ).

We'll be getting it on DVD for sure.

Comment

• Bam!
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Glen
                My kids can't wait to see it. They'll probably go with Grampa when they go to see him in July ( he buys them toys after a movie - they go :B , I go :M ).

We'll be getting it on DVD for sure.

I hear you Glen ....one more thing to trip over during the night when you have to spring a leak and you have one eye that stayed in your bed! :E \

This is what you look like once you make it to the throne :rant:

:lol:

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

I couldn't wait...

To avoid having my reaction to the movie shaped too much by reviews, pro or con, I went to see "Shrek 2" this afternoon. I have some good news and some bad news.

The "bad news" isn't really news. Something like it has probably happened before to most of us. Even though there were only maybe 20 people in the auditorium where I saw the film (one of five screens in the cineplex showing it today), I managed to luck into suffering through many of the reasons I hate paying to go to see a movie at a commercial theater. At least they turned down the house lights when the film began, something they didn't do for at least 10 minutes into "Finding Nemo" and "Master and Commander". (I complained both times and finally they figured out where the light switch is.) :>)

Kids were talking through most of this showing of "Shrek 2". In this case, mostly very young kids brought by their parents to a PG movie asking repeatedly "what's happening now, daddy?". And then getting an answer that defies description. (Were we watching the same movie?)

Some bitch near the front felt it was important to receive and reply to multiple text messages on her cell phone during the last half of the show and the two illuminated blue rectangles that she held up at her eye height were directly in my line of view to the bottom part of the screen. Like having huge dead pixels. Of course the bozo she was with didn't seem to mind since she wasn't talking, just reading and typing, and the light wasn't shining in [i}HIS[/i] eyes.

Several people made mid-movie trips to the concession stand, announcing their destination as they went. One dim-bulb forgot what the others in their group wanted and instead of going back up to where the others were seated to ask them quietly, they yelled from the bottom of the stairs asking what the others wanted and the other idiots shouted their order back.

The curse of crinkling candy wrappers was in full force too. In fact, a lot of the people who were enjoying refreshments were noise-making jerks, crunching popcorn loudly (must have had their mouths open -- thank goodness I didn't have to see that since it was dark), slurping drinks like the straw was their only air supply, and loudly passing things back and forth to "share" with others. How thoughtful. Grrrrr...

About the only thing that didn't happen was the back of my stadium seat getting kicked -- there was NO ONE in the row immediately behind me, thank goodness. But one of the bewildered, talkative, kids was directly behind me two rows back.

Now for the "good news". Despite all that, I really enjoyed the movie. It is hilarious -- cleverly executed and a lot of fun all the way through. I watched "Shrek" at home last night and was ready for "Shrek 2" to extend the story and further develop the characters, and it did not disappoint. It is not at all a carbon copy of the original, and even though it contains some elements of the same kind of irreverent humor, it is played in enough of a different way from the first one that it is fresh and funny, not overly-familiar and stale.

"Shrek 2" is already on my DVD "Must Buy" list. This is one movie I want to watch and re-watch multiple times. Just not at a commercial theater. :>) Very highly recommended.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                    • Sep 2003

I won't go see it(unless someone I know is willing to pay), and I'll buy the dvd for the same reason I bought the first one. It came so highly recommended for its picture quality, that I had no choice. While sitting thru the first one, I found myself asking why I bothered, I hope the 2nd one is less painful to sit thru. Ahhhh the things we do to get our hands on Reference quality material 8O

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                    GameTracker -My List-
                    Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Bam!
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2004

Burke!

Great way to describe a public cinema experience.....
                      People don`t care......it`s all about them and their world....

On another note....Glad to hear you loved the movie....

With that when it comes out...me buys!

Thanks Burke! :T

Comment

• Jariten
                        • Jun 2000

Joys of movie theaters....

That's why we have our own ...
                        we need to do a pit stop...press Pause...and wander off
                        get the popcorn..enjoy...

^_^;;;

They should put out better DVDs...
                        Yeah

Comment

• Glen
                          • Dec 2003

and the two illuminated blue rectangles that she held up at her eye height were directly in my line of view to the bottom part of the screen. Like having huge dead pixels
                          :rofl:

Comment

• Bing Fung
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2000

Went to Shrek 2 last evening with the family..

I thought it was as good as the first one :T :T I like it when sequeals don't just re-hash the same ol'e stuff from the previous movie. Shrek 2 builds on it, it uses some old stuff for reference but also introduces new stuff that'll have you chuckling as well.

Animation looked freaky at times with it's realisim.

Yeah, it was noisy with all the kids at it, but thats to be expected... I just checked out of theater cop mode and sat back and enjoyed the movie the best I could, even with the one kid behind me constantly kicking my seat :M :lol:
                            Bing

Comment

• ht_addict
                              • Dec 2002

Just saw the movie this morning with a packed house of kids. This is a MUST have when its released on DVD. A sequel that was better than the first and the first is one of my favourite movies.

Kevin

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Well, at $104 million this weekend, Shrek2 must be doing something right! 8O

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                  • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                                  Well, at $104 million this weekend, Shrek2 must be doing something right!
                                  Yep, "Shrek 2" did a LOT of things right, including a well written story and engaging characters that appeal to multiple demographic segments, well executed technically. And I suppose it doesn't hurt that it opened on over 4,000 screens, a US record. Some may also argue that it was helped by opening when not much else was playing that was worth seeing. But if breaking $100,000,000 is the mark of "doing things right", then "Van Helsing" must be a masterpiece, since after only three weeks, it's there. (hehehe)

Comment

• aarsoe
                                    • May 2004

I think your all bad bad bad bad people! Some of us live outside the US/Canada so we will have to wait an additional 2-6 months before the movie is shown here. :evil:
                                    You've just made my wait even more irritating..

At least there is one upside - I can get the Region 1 dvd at the same time (or even before) it hits the theaters in little old Denmark.. :T

Comment

• Bam!
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aarsoe
                                      I think your all bad bad bad bad people! Some of us live outside the US/Canada so we will have to wait an additional 2-6 months before the movie is shown here. :evil:
                                      You've just made my wait even more irritating..

At least there is one upside - I can get the Region 1 dvd at the same time (or even before) it hits the theaters in little old Denmark.. :T

So move! :lol:

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Bam!
                                        So move!
                                        Do you mean "get going and buy that DVD as soon as it is available" (good advice -- it's a great movie) or "relocate to North America so you can see movies during their first run here" (maybe not quite so practical) ? :>)

Burke

Comment

• aarsoe
                                          • May 2004

Well, actually I lived in Austin, TX for a while.. Loved the place (and stíll do) - but you know, it actually have been the period of my life where I bought the smallest number of DVD's.
                                          Why? Well the VOD from time warner was great, and who can beat that when you can decide on which movie out of dusins you want to watch while you are sitting there in your recliner.. :T

But, even though I have the highest respect for you guys over there, you have one shortfall - Boy do people talk in the cinema's.

Went to the movie yesterday, 1300 people watching Troy - only time someone said something was when Helena was about to take her clothes of and a guy shouted: "YES, YES DO IT!" :lol: and the whole theather laughed. The rest of the 2 hours and 40 min. people where silent.. :T

So I guess there is something to be said to live over here - even though the weather stinks compared to wonderfull Austin..

But we are alwayes the last ones to get the new movies - that is unless you compare us to turkmenistan and countries like that..

Comment

• Bam!
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                            Do you mean "get going and buy that DVD as soon as it is available" (good advice -- it's a great movie) or "relocate to North America so you can see movies during their first run here" (maybe not quite so practical) ? :>)

Burke

Burke!

I meant as in Move a rooney ....as in move your @ss here! :lol:

I though it was funny... ops: :

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"