X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Paycheck

I went to see Ben Afflecks new movie Paycheck this afternoon with my cousin. Given Ben's less then stellar track record this past summer I wasn't honestly expecting much but the reviews were positive and it was about the best of what was playing at the time we could go.

This is a sci fi movie that centers around the an engineer (Ben Affleck) that is hired by a firm to reverse enineer products to allow them to catch up to their competitors. His memory is then erased with a funky machine and he collects his large paycheck. The plot moves on when Ben's offered a chance to make some big $$$ on a top secret project. Its this project that the movie revolves around so I won't expand upon the plot anymore.

During the opening credits John Woo's name flashed across as a director which I hadn't realized he was involved in this one so I had some preconcieved notions on what the action scenes would look like but to be honest with the very rare exception this isn't your typical John Woo movie...at least I didn't think so.

Uma Thurman plays Ben's romatic counter part and other then looking a little older then I remember her being she's still a hottie :twisted: and her acting is solid enough not to be a distraction...

In the end I quite enjoyed the movie for what it was...a sci fi movie with some decent action scene's. It's not the type of movie that makes you stop and reflect on it later when you walk out the theatre like some do but if you like pop corn movies you'll likely enjoy this one too.

I give it a 4 out of 5

• David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is one of those I'd rated as a "maybe", but after your review Andrew, I'll give 'er a go once it gets to the island.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

after rereading that review I have to wonder what happened to my ability to put together a complete sentence...yikes that's shoddy writing ops:

Anyway I wouldn't say that Paycheck is the best movie I've seen this year but as a popcorn flick its enjoyable.

Comment

• AndrewM
        • Oct 2000

We went to see this on a whim the other day, actually the movie we wanted to see was sold out, so we decided to give it a shot. I'd agree with Andrew that it isn't your typical Woo film, but then again he's suprised us with a few films over the years. It's just about as close to a pure popcorn flick as you can get, a few plot points get glossed over pretty quickly, but still enjoyable. The story is different than what we've seen lately, yet in some ways very much the same as a lot of action movies of late.

I'd say 3.5 out of 5

Andrew

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Here's a review with some of Woo's comments about the film...interesting read.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Well if J-Lo isn't in it, I don't want to see it.

Just kidding. Saw the trailer on tv and it looked fairly interesting.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Did anyone notice a silver Mini in one of the scenes in the movie? That's my wife's car. I think they might have cut out a scene as she almost ran over somebody.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Your wife has a silver Mini? When did you get that?

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

It better have a manual tranny in it or I will be very upset :cry:

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
                    Office Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Yup, Silver on Silver Mini Cooper. Got it last year in May for her business.

Yes, 5 speed is the only way to go!

Paul

Paul

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Yes, 5 speed is the only way to go!
                      Damn rights! It sickens me to see people driving around in cars that positively scream for a manual with...slushboxes! 8O

P.S.

Andrew, your last pic was much cuter ..lol

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"