Movie restorations finally give Italian filmmaker Sergio Leone the respect he deserves

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Movie restorations finally give Italian filmmaker Sergio Leone the respect he deserves

If you are a fan of Sergio Leone's so-called "spaghetti Westerns", this should come as good news. For the first time, American audiences will be able to see these movies as the director originally intended, the way they were released in Europe.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Caught this in the Saturday Chronicle too, Burke. Good post. The one thing I wish they would change in these movies is the sounds the guns make (now, you want to talk about offensive). Puh-lease? Pretty puh-lease? Regardless, it's great to see that we'll have access to these movies as they were intended to be seen. If I could only have one of these released on DVD, it'd have to be Once Upon A Time In The West. Henry Fonda turns in one of the great villainous performances of all time in this film. And talk about acting power:

Henry Fonda
    Charles Bronson
    Claudia Cardinale
    Jason Robards
    Keenan Wynn
    Woody Strode
    Jack Elam
    Wow. 8O I can hardly wait. :banana:

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I have the widescreen laserdisc version of Once Upon A Time In The West and will gladly replace it when the dvd comes out. IF it comes out. I don't understand why this hasn't been released long ago ?

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

This is one of the DVD's that I crave for most. The region 1, I think, is scheduled for release November 18 of this year. I'm quivering in anticipation like a kid on Christmas Eve. Henry Fonda is truly an evil bastard :evil: in this one and Cardinali has never been so inviting. :P It will probably be almost three hours in length and have a boatload of extras.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Wow, Keith, I didn't think it was slated for release this year. That's great news.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Yeah, I'm going to hope, but not hold my breath George. They've announced tentative release dates a couple of times already, but it keeps getting pushed back. I can't recall exactly what they were, but there were solid reasons behind the delays - it may have involved getting a full, good quality print of Leone's preferred cut. I think I read recently that those problems were now resolved, but can't swear by it.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"