• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What Can I Do?

Hi there to posters and lurkers both!

Just like the subject line says: What can I do . . . to make this forum a more active one? A more attractive one? A more popular one? C'mon, let's here those suggestions.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Well, Tex, you write some of the best reviews I have read anywhere. Just keep it up. Getting people to post here and in other rooms, such as DVD Director, is a constant battle. We just have to keep plugging away.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks for the good words George. We'll just keep pluggin'.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
        • Jun 2001

David,

I read all of your reviews. I really appreciate all the effort you take to go and see the movies and write the reviews.

Thank you,

Jeff Aguilar

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Jeff,
          Thanks for giving Tex a lift. He really works hard on those reviews.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Well, you could pay our way to the movies, and buy popcorn and stuff, hahaha.

Really a good job. Unfortunately, I don't have time to be that active over here, and don't go to the theater really. Someday maybe that will change.

Keep up the good work David, it is appreciated.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

David,

You do a great job over here! As others have stated, just keep doing what you do. It is a simple numbers game. A ton of forums have a large members base but, only a core group plugs away at actual posting.

I too wish we had more participation. A lot of good topics and info, doesn't get dissected as well as it could.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

Well David, I wonder over here about once or twice a month to read only. Occasionally I'll post, but I'm terrible at reviewing movies and wouldn't know where to begin. I haven't been to a movie theater since taking Chelsea to see Dinasour many moons ago. Before that the last one I went to see was Air Force One which was a few suns ago. My viewing of movies is primarily DVD, HBO, Showtime, etc. By this time, most of what can be said about a movie has already been said and said well by all of you that review.

None the less, I do enjoy your reviews. I get a good sense of whether I want to buy the movie or not. I rely on your reviews (and others) quite heavily as my guiding point to purchase.

I can tell you that I read some other reviews, such as in Home Theater Magazine, and a few other places, but none compare to what I get here.

So, do keep up the good work. I appreciate what you and everyone else writes. It's very informative reading.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

I was wondering the same thing. I love this forum, but so little activity takes place here. Most wouldn't know it exists. I learned about it through Andrew's postings over at HTF. One thing I noticed is that a lot of the threads aren't ones that invite a lot of comment. For instance, if someone's amp is buzzing, a few people will chime in, but the problem isn't universal at all, so a lot might just pass it by. That's not to say it isn't important, because it is, but having threads which invite more participation would probably spur activity. Andrew's threads on Rotel upgrades are quite active for this reason. I even started a thread on what power amps Rotel pre/pro users had and the response was pretty decent. Maybe even have a daily poll type thing going on which can be answered at more than one of the forums here would be a good and fun activity that would get more people involved. I'd sure like to see this place take off.

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

Oops, I misread, but my message is the same. Have an easy buy in which most people can participate in and eventually I believe they'll become more involved on a more regular basis. I don't recall visiting this particular forum before, but, if it helps, I'll try to stop by regularly.

Keith
                    Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Keith,

Please do stop by! That is, if you get something out of being here.

If you like the reviews or the "what's coming up" threads or whatever, let me know. If you have ideas or suggestions, then by all means, throw 'em out there.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Keith, I appreciate your comments, and genuine desire to see us success, and not just suck,

The two best things any member can do for us?

1. Post all you can, when you can contribute, sometimes even when you can't!
                        2. Tell your friends about us. Don't be bashful. Tell them where the experts are on stuff that's here.

Lex
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

I'll visit regularly. Unfortunately, I usually wait until the DVD's come out, but also like going to the movie theaters on occasion. However, the movies I usually go see at the theater are the art house type that show movies like Ghost World, Green, and Memento. I do see certain blockbusters like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Maybe I'll have my daughters post though. They go to a lot more films than I do.

Definitely, I will tell others about this forum. It's one of my favorites.

Keith
                          Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions Keith. We do try.

Yeah, this is one of my favorites, too. :B

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Brandon B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2001

Problem for me is, I don't go the the theater almost ever (will see TTT down in Westwood, but haven't been before that since Spiderman and AOTC).

Why?

Cuz my HT completely thrashes the local mall plex, and Westwood is 1-1.5 hours away, $5-8 for parking, $11 per ticket, $25 for the babysitter and I HATE DRIVING!

Did I mention I hate driving?

So, since I won't have seen most movies being discussed I A) have little to contribute and B) want to avoid spoilers of any level, I tend to avoid this subforum.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

$11 FOR A TICKET? YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR PARKING AT A MALL? What the hell is up with that? 8O

David - HTGuide flunky
                                Our "Theater"
                                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Brandon B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2001

Nope. At the mall (10 minutes away) the tickets are normal price and parking is free. And the theaters suck poo. Mangled prints, dim PJ lamps, annoying crowds and incredibly poorly balanced audio systems. Gee, no thanks.

Westwood village is the area around UCLA, is over and hour south of me and has the highest concetration of 70mm theaters of anywhere in the world. Many of these are probably the best in the world. They have giant screens, huge top of the line sound systems, flawlessly maintained projectors and the crowds around opening time are generally all industry people and ardent movie fans. I have seen films hee that have been out for 3 months and the prints are still in near perfect shape.

There are some similar theaters in Hollywood (Cinerama Dome), but not nearly as many. These are the theaters all the industry people go to see the films, so their presentation quality is held to a fairly high standard. The only thing my HT can come close to matching performance quality with these is extension of my sub, as these only go down to the high 20's at best.

If you want to drive around and hunt, you can find street parking, but this is a congested business and college area and it is time consuming.

As for the $11 per ticket, if you want to not buy online and wait in line at the box office, it drops clear down to $10, but since I usually go down there on or near opening day for event films, don't usually want to chance a sellout.

Believe me, if you saw something like LOTR or SW there, you'd think the price was justified.

Now if you want bad value, my wife and I went to one movie (Sleepy Hollow) in the theater while I was living in Japan. $18 PER ticket, we walked, had no snacks, and with the $60 for the babysitter, it was right around $100. And this was a very dinky (80 seat) theater with small equipment. Presentation was good, just tiny (quality is usually not lacking in Japan). Extra bonus, 10 minutes of actual commercials before the previews.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lucky Guy Brandon
                                    Westwood village is the area around UCLA, is over and hour south of me and has the highest concetration of 70mm theaters of anywhere in the world. Many of these are probably the best in the world. They have giant screens, huge top of the line sound systems, flawlessly maintained projectors and the crowds around opening time are generally all industry people and ardent movie fans. I have seen films hee that have been out for 3 months and the prints are still in near perfect shape.
                                    Okay, that would be worth an $11 ticket (or two) plus parking. Yeah! :T

David - HTGuide flunky
                                    Our "Theater"
                                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2001

70 mm, giant screens ? Almost makes me want to hop on a plane and head for LA.

My Homepage!
                                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"