X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Note to Winnipegers seeing Attack of the Clones

Avoid theater 3 at Silver City St. Vital at all costs. The sonic experience is dead. That had to be the quietest movie I've seen in a long time. They experienced all sorts of problems with sound at the beginning. The THX theater next door was overpowering our movie and it was quite annoying. I'd swear they forgot to turn on the subs? Thumbs down, all the way down.

My guess is that part of the THX spec doesn't allow sound to bleed in from other theaters (that's just a guess). Since Spiderman is doing well , they're playing it in their other THX cinema.

Oh well, I'll be sure to see it in Theater 1 for viewing 2.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sorry to hear about that Gordan.

Viewing and action flick with low or bad sound, is just as bad as watching a poorly made film period. The both suck!

When I saw "Spiderman", it was a matinee so, the theater was about a third full. They had the sound up as if it was full of people. It was very "in your face". A little much but, better than if it was too low. And it too was a THX theater.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

It's because of things like this that I rarely go to the cinema. At least when I play a movie at home, I know I am getting the best sound my system can output.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

It's depressing to read other reviews about how the sound grabbed them by the balls and didn't let go. It coloured my impression because it bothered me from the start of the movie. I was going to go back anyways I'll be a little more careful.

You could tell something was wrong when you hear people walking to the bathroom during explosions. There were great EX effects but it lacked all impact. If the 2nd time is a dud (hopefully not) there's always the DVD

"A RONSTER!"
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

thanks for the heads up Gordon...I'll likely see it at the polo park location...hopefully this weekend

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Finally got to see the movie tonight and like you we saw it at Polo Park. We were in #7 and IMO the sound wasn't that great either. The surrounds were very in active and bass wasn't bad but not what I remember feeling from watching EPI at the St.Vital location.

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
              • Feb 2002

Well I saw Ep 2 at St. Vital Theatre one. Right at the THX logo, it seemed that they blew a circuit since the audio level dropped considerably right after it. They forgot to crank it back up. The teaser trailers before were LOUD and the THX logo, but the movie was quite quiet, I found. I think the next showing is going to be the DVD, I am not sure I am gonna see it again in theatre.

Comment

• P-Dub
                Office Moderator
                • Aug 2000

I also thought the sound in my theater was lacking. During the space mine scene, I was expecting a chestfull of LFE, but the actual explosion sound was weak, and the resulting LFE was almost nonexistant.

My viewing was in a SilverCity theater, but it's not a THX setup. I'm hoping the DVD will provide all the bass that I need when it gets released on Nov 26.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"